Home brand draught - what's in the can?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about this:
Homebrand American IPA

23L batch
2 Cans homebrew lager
500g dme i have on hand for boil

Caramunich 1 100g
Caramalt 100g
bairds medium crystal 100g

15min boil
18g cascade @10
18g amarillo @ 5
10g cascade dry
16g amarillo dry

IBU = 47
ABV = 5.9% in the bottle.
EBC = 14

rheffera said:
How about this:
Homebrand American IPA

23L batch
2 Cans homebrew lager

Caramunich 1 100g
Caramalt 100g
bairds medium crystal 100g

15min boil
18g cascade @10
18g amarillo @ 5
10g cascade dry
16g amarillo dry

IBU = 47
ABV = 5.9% in the bottle.
EBC = 14
I don't know if the IPA flavour profile will come through with less grain, but that's me and my IPA preference :p

rheffera said:
I could up the caramunich a ton..like another 500g
Well that will help on the flavour side, a little more colour would be nice.
is the DME light or dark? Assuming light based on the EBC, dark would go well to bump the colour a little.

Are these ingredients that you already have on hand or are you buying?

All i need to get is the grain. And yeah thats LDME. I'd have to buy Some DDME or make the bairds medium bairds dark

rheffera said:
All i need to get is the grain. And yeah thats LDME. I'd have to buy Some DDME or make the bairds medium bairds dark
If you're buying the grain anyways then the mix of crystals won't be any more expensive than the munich/s. Have you bought from brewadelaide before? Nigel will mill and deliver (to a wide area) if you spend more than $10.

Yeah ive done bsiness with nigel before. Just put in a rather large order which contains 600g caramunich 3 along with 100g dark crystal for this IPA

Well m first homebrand experiment is ready gentlemen, and here is the rsults and the recipe again.

1x Homebrand lager
12G Glacier hop tea
24G glacier dry hopped
Bry-97 @ 20 *c
12L batch

Aroma: Very faint earth / pine
Taste: As above. Bit bitter, but thats 40 IBU in 1050~ 12L for you, Most bland beer i have made so far, but the point was to try glacier, not make a good beer. That being said, its quite drinkable.

Things i learned:
Hop tea is nowhere near as good as a late addition of the same amount
If you want to make good beer then tyou do need to steep some grain
Glacier seems to be much more suited to dark ales / stouts than pale ales.
I def like my beers hoppy

I found my experiment to be getting worse with age. Being hopped with galaxy meant there was a lot of aroma, but that a lot of that has died off.

It's by far the blandest beer in my now.

My father in law likes it so I'll let him drink it -_-

I thought bugger it, got a few days of 20*c and my current beer supply will have to last me till next season so i put down this just now:
Homebrand American IPA

23L batch
2 Cans homebrew lager

Caramunich 3 600g
bairds dark crystal 100g

28g cascade @5
28g amarillo @ 5
28g cascade dry
28g amarillo dry

So trying my second home brand draught.. 2 batches of homebrand draught toucans,

Steeped 500g of medium crystal at 67c (3ltrs) 60mins
Mini mashout 2ltrs at 78c for 10 min
15 min boil
2 cans per fermenter + half of the crystal wort

Pitched Nottingham slurry into both

Plan to dry hop one fermenter with 40g of centennial,

OG 1050

Tahoose said:
Plan to dry hop one fermenter with 40g of centennial,
Batch size? Assuming 22-23 litres?

40g of hops in dry is an epic amount almost 2g/L.

IBU on those cans is probably around 25-30 but from what a few of us have reported the aroma dies in the bottle... So the 40g might counteract it / melt faces :kooi:

Those sound good. I just had my first couple of a HB toucan lager that had only 500g ldme and two amarillo teabags added to it. Came up real nice.

damoninja said:
Batch size? Assuming 22-23 litres?

40g of hops in dry is an epic amount almost 2g/L.

IBU on those cans is probably around 25-30 but from what a few of us have reported the aroma dies in the bottle... So the 40g might counteract it / melt faces :kooi:
Just been thinking now and I think that it might be only 20g of centennial, all of my brewing happens with a mate at his place, so the hops are there.. It's left overs anyway.

and yes the batch sizes are 23 ltrs, the first home brand draught toucan we did was just a the tins only and they are bitter enough.

eungaibitter1 said:
Those sound good. I just had my first couple of a HB toucan lager that had only 500g ldme and two amarillo teabags added to it. Came up real nice.
Hmm just remembered we have 30g of amarillo that is lying around aswell, little bit of food for thought

rheffera said:
Just put down my 2nd and last homebrand experiment for the year i think. No temperatrue control and summer fast approaching, so with adelaide's weather being 20 odd for the next 6 days i figured i'd put one down.

180g Special Roast
180g Special W
180g Roasted Barley
12G Fuggle Hop tea
Homebrand Lager TIn

IBU (Estimate based on coopers lager) = 40.

Total Cost = $12.
This will be interesting as i haven't tried Special W & Roast before. Cheap ass way to try hops and grains. This one is mostly to try the grain.

Made to 12L using dirty kit yeast.(Which smells oddly alot like the yeast that coopers gives out with their base tins)

Just cracked this a month in the bottle later, and thought i'd report back.

Aroma: Non-existant
Taste: ... GOOD! Biscuity / Rasiny. Im guessing this comes from the special W and special roast. Taste's a bit rich (despite being 40 IBU).

Verdict: A far superior beer to the one tin i used only glacier on. Steeping grains FTW.

Nice drinking biscuity dark ale. No yeast sediment left in bottle after pour, so the kit yeast doesn't settle solidly apparently. For $1 a liter this bloody good. I

Not sure who makes the woolies or Coles brands but I have turned out some great beers on a budget with the help of quality hops,grains and yeast. I am currently doing some tooheys can kits and bits also with good results, as for the brigalow I found it to be rubbish except the ginger beer kits,extra malt and glucose powders. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Have just found out that Cascade is focused on soft drinks and will no longer be doing kits and ready made alcoholic drinks

True bottlobill. I don't mind the brig extra malt pack if I have no ldme about.

For those wanting to try it on the cheap, I have also done some great toucan kits using a coopers stout, woolies lager & yeast to suit.

Back