Holiday In Usa!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im almost finished planing this trip and i have ( stone brewery,rogue ales public house,21st Amendment,anchor brewing co,and dogfish head brewery) anyone been to beer places in LA i cant find much that i want to see?
I didn't find much in LA itself

I stayed in Beverley Hills for a couple of nights and visited

Vendome Liquor - Beverly Hills
9153 W. Olympic Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

to get a few beers - It's just a shop but has a great range

Check out http://www.thirstybear.com/ while you are in SF if you can squeeze it in - food is good there too

Have also heard good things about this in SF - they have a couple of beers on tap there too

* City Beer Store
* 1168 Folsom St
* Suite 101
* San Francisco

Didn't get a chance to go though

Vegas seems to be a bit of a desert for beer - I stocked up on beers from Stone Brewery for this part of our trip (they have stuff for sale at the brewery that's not available else where)

Might be worth visiting - though I didn't get there either

Yard House Las Vegas - 160 Beers On Tap
6593 S. Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, NV, United States - (702) 734-9273

The brewery advertised in the monte carlo is not actually a brewery

The only problem I had in trying different beers in the states was that bottle shops seemed to only sell long necks or 6 packs, no singles

And after 2 * 10% IIPA's doing anything other than passing out is a challenge

A drinking buddy is highly recommended

Also it'd be worth seeing if any festivals are on while you are there

I was lucky enough to attend the great american beer festival in denver and needless to say everything else pales into insignificance

Cheers

Im almost finished planing this trip and i have ( stone brewery,rogue ales public house,21st Amendment,anchor brewing co,and dogfish head brewery) anyone been to beer places in LA i cant find much that i want to see?

Nephew phoned me from SF, visited 21st Amendment today and really enjoyed it, next month (Feb) is high gravity month or something, nothing under 8 percent. He loved the oyster stout, and had a great time. Lucky bugger, I get a T shirt :lol:

Screwy

the last part of the trip is in new york and the only thing i have is dogfish head anyone got anyplaces for NY

Ohh and cheers for the help guys im taking notes on where to go.

If you're anywhere near Long Beach, there is the "Belmont Brewery" on the lighthouse breakwater, overlooking beach and Pacific Ocean.
Great food and great beer, if you're staying on the southside of LA , and you ALSO have a rental car WITH driver then its worth a visit..

http://www.belmontbrewing.com/brewery.php - no affiliation etc..

Cheers,
Richie

I'll be touring the states between conferences in June. Starting with a conference in Newport News (Virginia) at the end of May, I'll likely visit Stony Brook U. (New York), Argonne National Labs (Chicago, IL) and UI Bloomington (Indiana), before heading off to another conference in Vancouver at the start of July.

Any AHBers that may be along that route are welcome to get in touch with me for a drink or three. I might just have to track down a decent university near Boston just for the beers. :p

I've got 3 weeks to go before I head back to San Diego again. Can't wait for the AIPA's :icon_drool2:

Having a dry January in preparation :)

I went around the West Coast August-Sept last year. So many beers...

Around San Fran, 21A and Toronado are must see. Russian River if you get out to Sonoma.

LA is a hellhole. Just stay away from there.

Portland, OR, is the place to be. Lots of great micros. Hood River is a great place as well, and Newport on the beach, home of Rouge Brewing (and distilling). In fact Oregon (and Washington) is where most of the action is, but the good thing about the states is you are never far from a brewery. If only it was that part of their culture that was conquering the world, rather than fast food and two and half men...

Interested to see what NY suggestions others have, heading there in May.

For those of you that don't read The Local Taphouse Blog, check out Steve's blogs about his current trip to the States for some suggestions in NY, Boston and the West Coast.

Blog

Hi, I was in Oregon last Sept and bought back a pamphlet of Oregon Brewpub guide. If you go to:
www.oregonbeer.org and go to the Breweries button there is a list of all Brewpubs in Oregon listed alphabetically. 138 brewpubs. If you have trouble with the site let me know and I can send a photocopy of my 2009 pamphlet to you.

man 138!

i was going to go to oregon, but mate in states said its not happening now :(

man 138!

i was going to go to oregon, but mate in states said its not happening now :(

Maybe just because it is getting a little old hat for them, but I would still say it was happening. Lot of people were talking up the Mid West brew scene when I was there. It could just follow trends like that (think rock music - and how over the times there have been scenes based in certain cities/regions in the US. Just because grunge is no longer the trend of the day, Seattle still has a great rock scene - just less crowded).

Nah just meant our planned trip isnt happening sorry for the confusion!

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to the USA to celebrate my 30th later in the year. Thinking I might fly into Portland, spend a few days in Oregon drinking loads of great beer, then road trip in an RV to the Great American Beer Festival in Denver. Driving the RV will allow us to stop in at Yellowstone and Craters Of The Moon, and provide a handy beer fridge! Very excited about doing this kind of trip because I think it's a part of the USA very few Aussies have experienced!

Nice one im booking my flights on wednesday!!

Cant wait..

Booked mine today, heading over and back on the A380 to try out.

IIPA's..........I'm coming!! :party:

Interested to see what NY suggestions others have, heading there in May.

Lived in NY for 2 years.

Bars in order or preference:

Burp Castle (just great, Belgium influence)
Jimmy's 43 (next door to Burp Castle)
Blind Tiger (pretty busy, go early arvo)
Peculiar Pub (down the road on Bleecker St)
The Ginger Man (midtown, 70 odd taps of micros)
Rattle & Hum (try the IPA brined fries)
Shaffer's City (a quiet local favourite, great micros)
The Beer Table (Brooklyn - very pricey, but unusual beers)
Brooklyn Brewery (packs out with hipsters)
The Waterfront Ale house
Chelsea Brewery (beers aren't great, but views of the Hudson and NJ are)
Zum Schnider

Latest posts

Back