Holiday In Usa!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dj1984

Reaction score
Looking at going to America for a holiday (LA,Las vegas,california and oregon if we get the time)

Has anyone been around these places befor and know where too get some decent beers or places to visit?

Have a few friends that have been to Oregon (one just got back a week ago actually) and Las Vegas. Don't know anyone who has been to LA.

In Oregon, it's tough not to find good beer. Las Vegas isn't known for good beer. Have a look at Beer Advocate's Beerfly to research places to visit on your trip.

The other site to try is www.beerme.com. Some of the info can be a bit outdated, just verify with google maps etc and you'll be right.

There's also plenty of decent beer that can be bought in the supermarkets over there and the prices will make you cry (craft beer can be as little as $6 for a six pack). The only problem I had with that is that many motels in the US don't seem to provide a bar fridge standard (whereas it's a given in Australia). Some will make you pay, others will deliver one to your room for free (well, other than having to tip someone) if you need to store medicine in there. Otherwise you'll have to chill them with an ice bucket and that's hard when you want to have more than two or three :)

The only problem I had with that is that many motels in the US don't seem to provide a bar fridge standard (whereas it's a given in Australia). Some will make you pay, others will deliver one to your room for free (well, other than having to tip someone) if you need to store medicine in there. Otherwise you'll have to chill them with an ice bucket and that's hard when you want to have more than two or three :)

Two words: toilet tank. Lift the lid off, dump in some ice and you have a handy beer cooler. ;)

Two words: toilet tank. Lift the lid off, dump in some ice and you have a handy beer cooler. ;)
Just remember to replace any guns in plastic bags and drug stashes you find hidden in there. B)

Didn't quite go as far as a 'toilet tank' but last time i was in the state (2004) i ended up using the basin in the bathroom. A couple of trips to the ice machine, and presto cold beer!

Cheers SJ

Looking at going to America for a holiday (LA,Las vegas,california and oregon if we get the time)

Has anyone been around these places befor and know where too get some decent beers or places to visit?

let me guess, you failed to search

My brother has recently started flying between Sydney and LA as part of his job and the "US-Pacific" group on beeradvocate.com helped me out with what were the good beer places and what seasonals are around so I could send him on beer runs for me.

http://beeradvocate.com/forum/list/22

They can also tell you where the good drinking places are - maybe start a post on there and see what they can tell you? The LA members over there were VERY helpful to me.

Jez

There's a kiosk beer setup in the mall next to the planet hollywood hotel. It's sort of a micro but it's BUL I believe. Decent though, but they serve in dixie cups (which is all too common in America, tragic).

Hi
I lived in somoma just out of San Fran for several months a few years ago. My local brewpub was bear republic in healdsberg. I would definately go there if near or at least try some of there beers if you get to la. The make f#*king hoppy ipa (racer 5) that is virtually green when you pour it!

When I was there recently I had a 3 pronged beer cooling strategy.

1. Bin (aka trash can), 4 stubbies no problem, but melted quickly
2. Basin, 4 or 5,
3. Wine cooler, 2 fully submerged

The in house bar at the hotel only had Coors or Bud, undrinkable corn beer and luckily my room was very close to I casually popped back to my room and grabbed a real beer as the others paid $4 for crap!

The local micro had an awesome IPA for $8/6 pack, couldn't get enough of the stuff !

Im almost finished planing this trip and i have ( stone brewery,rogue ales public house,21st Amendment,anchor brewing co,and dogfish head brewery) anyone been to beer places in LA i cant find much that i want to see?

Hi there,

I bought a book called

"Good Beer Guide
West Coast USA"
by Ben McFarland and Tom Sandham. 2008

Unfortunately plans changed and I went to the east coast and never got to the west except for a stop over in LA. The book reads quite well though, it's set out Lonely Planet for beer aficionados. Oh it also includes Las Vegas. Naturally it has Oregon. And definitely take advantage of the supermarkets they are beer Nirvana for an Australian who's been beaten into submission by overpriced craft beer. Have a good time!

Im almost finished planing this trip and i have ( stone brewery,rogue ales public house,21st Amendment,anchor brewing co,and dogfish head brewery) anyone been to beer places in LA i cant find much that i want to see?
What month are you going?

Was there last oct/ nov. proposed on Alcatraz and married in vegas.

if you are going to 21A, take the F line along Market St. toward The Castro (east) and try Lucky 13 (2140 Market). That place looks like a real dive but the beer on tap is spectacular I had some russian and bear republic (racer 5) there.

daniel

Back