Holgate Brewhouse - Mt Macedon Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lou

Reaction score
Well I haven't actually been there but I picked up a couple of the Mt Macedon ale at the local Dan Murphys and I can highly recommend - ( no afill etc)

a really nice pale ale with very nice hop profile - will be picking up a few more of these

anyone been to the brewery?

holgate brewery link

lou

I haven't been to the brewery, but I'll add some more positive reviews.

I had a fantastic night (on my own :blink: ) at the Australian in Sydney drinking the three Holgate Beers and chowing down in crocodile pizza. I loved their white ale which i hadn't seen before in adelaide.

Definitely up there as some of the better craft brewed ozzie beers.

He must have some consistency problems. Late last year I tried a Holgate pale ale and my notes included:

- impossible to pour due to foaming.
- grassy notes in the aroma.
- a metallic sensation at the front and middle.
- a lingering bite in the after taste.

When I mentioned this to some guys at the club, a few nodded their head and others hadn't noticed the same problems.

He must have some consistency problems. Late last year I tried a Holgate pale ale and my notes included:

- impossible to pour due to foaming.
- grassy notes in the aroma.
- a metallic sensation at the front and middle.
- a lingering bite in the after taste.

When I mentioned this to some guys at the club, a few nodded their head and others hadn't noticed the same problems.
I had issues with the White ale. You can read it here.
Here is the photo of the four beers I had.

beer1.jpg

I've had one of their Ales (don't remember which one) from a bottle shop here in Adelaide that was infected. So yes there might be some consistency probs.

Was a real gusher + tasted horrrible.

Well all I can say is I am glad I got a nice one
up here is brissy too

lou

I've had one of their Ales (don't remember which one) from a bottle shop here in Adelaide that was infected. So yes there might be some consistency probs.

Was a real gusher + tasted horrrible.
Same here, got 2 India pales, one good, the other was well and truely off.
Had a few on tap & pump beers over the counter, very good stuff, and well worth the trip up the freeway if ever your'e in Melbourne

Normell

Latest posts

Back