Hoegaarden Grand Cru

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Possible best fit might be Belgian Golden Strong Ale

A spiced triple?

I keep seeing it refered to as a Wit, have read that it was a stronger version of the Hoegaarden so as to aids sales during the winter.

Is there wheat in the malt bill, what yeast do they use??

On the world stage what is it catagorised as?

Wow 124 views, 2 replies and no definitive answer. This beer is an enigma!

As to the term "Grand Cru", everything I have read seems to point to it being a term borrowed from wine making. Brewers have used it to signify a high end reproduction of a standard beer.

Extrapolating from that, and considering I have never tasted it, would it be fair to say that it is a Premium offering of the standard Hoegaarden Witbier.

Wow 124 views, 2 replies and no definitive answer. This beer is an enigma!
Gleaned off their site.
"Pouring cloudy orange, almost golden in colour, Hoegaarden Grand Cru has a fruity aroma and thick, abundant foam head. Flavoured with Curaao orange and coriander (like the original Hoegaarden wheat beer), it has a deliciously complex, sweet/bitter taste with subtle spice and citrus notes. Served in a tulip glass, this rich, blonde beer remains surprisingly light and delicate for 8.5% ABV."

Golden Witbier?
Feel free to send me one for clarification! :icon_cheers:
Christmas is just round the corner, time for me to head down to Dan's/1st choice/Platinum & stock up on some festive beers, including this if it's available.

Ratebeers' got it as a BGS if that helps.
I think it was Michael Jackson who wrote that it was a pumped up version of the wit, I'll have a thumb through a few books.

Edit: that should have been Belgian Strong Ale, which doesn't help very much.

I think it uses a different yeast. The taste is just so different from the wit. Couldn't taste any of the tartness in it either.

Ratebeers' got it as a BGS if that helps.
I think it was Michael Jackson who wrote that it was a pumped up version of the wit, I'll have a thumb through a few books.

Edit: that should have been Belgian Strong Ale, which doesn't help very much.
I was watching Michael Jacksons The Beer Hunter last night on the Burgundies of Belgium, he just described it as a more complex version, akin to wine. No idea on BJCP style. Great viewing (and drinking)
It must be one of these
http://www.bjcp.org/2008styles/style18.php

I believe yeast is 3463 there, merc.

And I've had it a number of times. Personally, I'm not too bothered with which category it best fits into. I would just call it a ramped up, full-bodied wit.

BJCP does put it in Belgian Golden Strong category. I referenced a BJCP Study Course document written by Steve McKenna and Mike Schwartz with explanation in attached.
bgs.jpg

Cheers
reVox

I had one last July. I'd say it is a higher ABV version of the regular.
This makes it darker and carries more flavour with the higher alc.
Hoegaarden_Grand_Cru.JPG

oh and there would most certainly be wheat in the bill ;)

Anywhere from 25-50%, probably closer toward the 50%
I am tipping they use raw wheat over anything torrified or gelatinised, maybe possibly raw rolled wheat or even combinations but effectively heaps of wheat mate.

Out of interest of this thread I just perused the Hoegaarden website and discovered all their beers are wheat beer, they don't make anything else. So I'd assume you would catagories their beers in the following wheats, farmhouse, low alcohol and specialties. I've always looked at Grand Cru's (as a style) being placed in the Strong Dark or Specialty groups, for Hoegaarden Grand Cru I lean towards the Specialty class as it is basically a wit on riods.

Mind you I'd love to try their Rosee and Citron they look great and at 3% ABV I reckon they'd be great to neck after mowing the lawn.

my 2c

Rate beer have it as a Strong Belgian Ale and Beer aAvocate have it as a Belgian Wit. The fact it is based on the original Hoegaarden wit but pumped up big time and it has wheat in the grist make sit a Strong Belgian Wit - a new style category??? Most people I have canvassed this with have refered to it as a Strong Wit. It would seem it is indeed a Strong Belgian Witbier.

Rate beer have it as a Strong Belgian Ale and Beer aAvocate have it as a Belgian Wit. The fact it is based on the original Hoegaarden wit but pumped up big time and it has wheat in the grist make sit a Strong Belgian Wit - a new style category??? Most people I have canvassed this with have refered to it as a Strong Wit. It would seem it is indeed a Strong Belgian Witbier.

Do you know if they have this at Majestic Mercs?

Last time I was in Dan's they had it, actually, I see it every time I'm there.

Latest posts

Back