Hoegaarden Grand Cru

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paul, does a beer need to fall within style guidelines, either commercially or for that matter on an amateur level ?

There's a story often discussed with my brew buddy concerning one of Jamil Zainasheff's (very lovely) recipe's in his "Classic Styles" book, namely the Janet's Brown. It falls outside of style guidelines, yet has won numerous awards under the BJCP-sanctioned guidelines, and often makes a point of mentioning it. By rights, to the letter of the rules, it shouldnt take out a prize !

As for whether BJCP guidelines can be used to classify a commercial beer, it's as good as any, as they list some examples pertaining to commercial beers. While there probably isnt a "Grand Cru" in any form listed as an example, this means nothing, as the term is french for "Vibrant Growth" or something along those lines.

I say just enjoy it ! There's plenty of commercial beers that will leave you dumbfounded if you try to pigeonhole them into a style.

EDIT: Just expanded the image from ReVox, and his study notes. There could lie your answer (if you want to use BJCP as a reference)

This is what Hoegaarden say about it;

Grand Cru
Pouring cloudy orange, almost golden in colour, Hoegaarden Grand Cru has a fruity aroma and thick, abundant foam head. Flavoured with Curaao orange and coriander (like the original Hoegaarden wheat beer), it has a deliciously complex, sweet/bitter taste with subtle spice and citrus notes. Served in a tulip glass, this rich, blonde beer remains surprisingly light and delicate for 8.5% ABV.

Being a Belgian beer I suspect that if you asked them what it was they'd scratch their head and say "a Grand Cru" since most don't worry or give two shakes about styles. ;)

Being a Belgian beer I suspect that if you asked them what it was they'd scratch their head and say "a Grand Cru" since most don't worry or give two shakes about styles. ;)
And would we assume that the Belgians would give two hoots about an American beer style classification system that was developed long after they were making such a beer?

I think refering to BJCP might not always be the smart thing to do as it has been highlighted numerous times that 60% of all commercial beer don't fit within the BJCP guideline. Since I'm throwing this one up I'd be following the brewers suggestions on this one, considering Strong Wit isn't a BJCP santioned style.

Paul, does a beer need to fall within style guidelines, either commercially or for that matter on an amateur level ?

There's a story often discussed with my brew buddy concerning one of Jamil Zainasheff's (very lovely) recipe's in his "Classic Styles" book, namely the Janet's Brown. It falls outside of style guidelines, yet has won numerous awards under the BJCP-sanctioned guidelines, and often makes a point of mentioning it. By rights, to the letter of the rules, it shouldnt take out a prize !

As for whether BJCP guidelines can be used to classify a commercial beer, it's as good as any, as they list some examples pertaining to commercial beers. While there probably isnt a "Grand Cru" in any form listed as an example, this means nothing, as the term is french for "Vibrant Growth" or something along those lines.

I say just enjoy it ! There's plenty of commercial beers that will leave you dumbfounded if you try to pigeonhole them into a style.

EDIT: Just expanded the image from ReVox, and his study notes. There could lie your answer (if you want to use BJCP as a reference)

The reason I am asking is that I recieved an email from a person in Holland who is responsible for translating my beer cookbook from English into Dutch. They wanted to inform me that apart from loving the book they considered there was an error in the book where I called Hoegaarden Grand Cru a witbier - they said it is not a wheat but also declined to tell me what they thought it was. So this set me off to ask the question.

For the record I have decided it is a Strong Wit although if I made one for competition I would enter it in either specialty - Strong Wit or in Strong Belgian Ale.

I have asked several friends and leading beer professionals around the world and the answers are divided between yes it is a wit - a strong wit or yes it is a Strong Belgian Ale.

I find it quite interesting that there is this grey area around this beer. It has been confirmed that there is wheat in the grist........Strong Wit :beer:

is there unmalted wheat in there though?
I could not feel any wit-tiness (pun.. lol) in there. Its just so different to a bog standard hoegarden.

could've been me getting a 'destroyed' bottle of it up here though.. but still.. the hoegardens make it up here just fine.

is there unmalted wheat in there though?
I could not feel any wit-tiness (pun.. lol) in there. Its just so different to a bog standard hoegarden.

could've been me getting a 'destroyed' bottle of it up here though.. but still.. the hoegardens make it up here just fine.

I read on a yank brewing site that they reckon it's got no wheat in it.

Back