Hilary or Donald

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
goomboogo said:
More female train drivers may be one way to reduce the enormous pay packets of train drivers.

damoninja

"Too true! There is a gap... Women working part time jobs earn more than men".......

Cant be having women earning $150k driving trains part time

You would have to ask your self what a lot/most of the above, train drivers pay rates included, have anything to do with Donald Trump being good or otherwise for America.

Those that invest in the stock market believe he is a good thing with the Dow reaching it's highest point ever at over 20,000 and also having risen by 9% since his election and the Australian market hasn't done too bad in spite of all the Dooms Day predictions

Wobbly

goomboogo said:
Friedman's spin on equal pay was as botched as most of his theorising. He back-tracked on so much in his later life as he could no longer defend assertions proven to be patently false in the real world. In this particular presentation he doesn't even realise his use of the phrase, 'equal pay for equal work' doesn't accord with his proceeding description of the workplace. The examples he uses are not cases of people doing equal work and are therefore not relevant to the topic of whether 2 people doing the same job at the same performance level should receive the same level of remuneration.
I'd argue on balance Freidman got his theorizing it right more often than he ''botched'' it. But I'm an enthusiastic capitalist and lover of personal freedom, so admit 100% bias on my part.

I acknowledge my views on Friedman are a result of particular perspective or bias if you prefer. Friedman and others from the Chicago School trusted in the concept of free markets to the point where they were/are convinced that self-regulation results in an optimal outcome. This self-regulatory framework would increase the ability of corporations and financial institutions to be as inventive as possible and subsequently lead to benefits for shareholders and non-shareholders alike.This idea formed the basis for much of the work carried out by Friedman.

This was largely allowed to be played out in the real world. The result of minimal regulation and inventiveness was not a boon for shareholders and non-shareholders alike. It was the GFC. This was as major a botch in theory as you get.

Ducatiboy stu said:
damoninja

"Too true! There is a gap... Women working part time jobs earn more than men".......

Cant be having women earning $150k driving trains part time
You've misunderstood, women working part time earn more money than men working part time.

It's because they work more part time hours.

I was just demonstrating that the conclusions drawn around pay gap are taken out of context, once you have a fact in isolation you can say stupid shit like I just did about increasing amount of part time hours men work.

Are there any women here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNeq2Utm0nU

Well i think there should be no pay gap and more needs to be done to ensure people are paid the same for the same job.
Removing names from resumes could start to help unconscious bias.......

100% for sure many many many professional women are not paid the same as men doing the same job.

100% sure major companies with more women on there board of directors are more profitable than like companies with less women on Brd Dir

100% sure i want these issues sorted for my wife and daughter.....

more money equal pay in my wifes pay packet means more brew gear for me (and just sorts out pay gaps) thats good for nearly every family (sorry maybe not gay man love people...)

100% sure am glad my daughter is growing up now compared to history it's still pretty shithouse for woman out there but it's getting maybe a little better.

(still shithouse for things like sexual harassment, violence, inequality, etc etc etc etc and the 1950's -> 2000 were still pretty shit with many things.... )
13603243_1171737662878425_7629375798904026384_o.jpg

wide eyed and legless said:
The reason political correctness exists, is to make those who use it feel good about themselves.
The reason it exists is because bigots invented it to ridicule the idea that calling people racial based derogatory nicknames was not their birthright.

In my view people have the right to be racist arseholes but they need to suck it up when they get called one.

And Milton Friedman is a smug prick with the empathy level of a stuffed ham so **** him, Dave.

Trump speaks like a 12 year old girl - zomg it was so amazing, so great, everything is so great really great, amazing.

Even Pauline seems mildly more elequent even if she does cry about lamb ads. Oh yeah but the left are all pussy sooks, right?

manticle said:
And Milton Friedman is a smug prick with the empathy level of a stuffed ham so **** him, Dave.
I dont actually believe in empathy, or presuming to 'know just how someone feels'. Sympathy, fair enough, but at the end of the day the fact is that we all suffer alone regardless.
Friedman is certainly a polarizing thinker, or smug prick if you prefer.

I hope your not having a rough day, cos you sound a little prickly this afternoon.
Or drinkin.

Drinkin' indeed. That, watching ufc fights and finding absurdity in life. Not really prickly although these threads bring out the abrasive side for sure. Every time I read them, my inner voice shouts 'don't post'. I'm still a happy go lucky scamp just like Bernard Black.

Empathy is different to assuming you know how someone feels, just as sympathy is more than pitying the poor fool who isn't quite as good as you are. I agree with many of the principles of social libertarianism but Friedman makes me wonder just exactly what he believes the role of government should be.

technobabble66 said:
For those who believe everything's peachy and "political correctness" and the "progressive agenda" is a disease, why is there still such a large difference between the wage of a man compared to a woman?
Why is there ANY difference?
(& don't obtusely cherry pick an occupation involving rigorous physical demands - I mean broad areas like the entire finance industry).
I'll let these guys explain it to you :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvFi3A1GIJ8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlR6CdJtRWM

While in Canada I soon realised not to mention Trump, fark the Canadians get really vocal.
The vast majority are very very worried about what will/could happen with him in the big house, and none had a nice or kind word to say about him.
Glad I live in Aus......?

Dave70 said:
I dont actually believe in empathy, or presuming to 'know just how someone feels'. Sympathy, fair enough, but at the end of the day the fact is that we all suffer alone regardless.
My dad always said that sympathy is just allowing someone to wallow in their own self pity, and empathy is when you try to join them. Mind you, he saw about the worst of humanity in his time, so probably has a fairly unique view.

Whatever its reason for existence, it has gone way too far when you have idiots trying to change the title/words of a well known nursery rhyme because it contains the word "black", or telling kids that they can't call themselves girls and boys anymore, and should instead use something as dumb as "little people" or whatever. What kind of fucktard comes up with this shit? That's political correctness (clearly gone mad) and that's the sort of idiotic shit that needs to be turfed out of society altogether.

That thing about black in poems (eg baa baa rainbow sheep) is untrue (or at least massively exaggerated) and oft touted as 'pc gone madder than Ken Bruce' so readers of the daily mail can get outraged.

Yes there are some silly examples and I'm not a fan of some of the legislation (racial vilification on principle for example) but the majority is simply an effort not to be rude and accepting responsibility for what you say or write.

Got to laugh at Trumps logic

" we are going to build a wall and Mexico will pay for.....by....America putting a %20 tarif on all imported goods from Mexico"

So it looks like the great consumers of the USA will pay for the wall

manticle said:
Trump speaks like a 12 year old girl - zomg it was so amazing, so great, everything is so great really great, amazing.
Yep. You will enjoy this then...

Last edited by a moderator:
manticle said:
That was great, it's true.
That was fun, I even understood all the Dutch language stuff. Is it politically correct to claim bilingual ability?

Latest posts

Back