Hilary or Donald

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Where do you think the centre actually is?
About twice as far from the extreme left or extreme right as half its distance from either to the centre. :D :D

Liam_snorkel said:
well yes I agree that it is generally cultural rather than the letter of the law, but the net effect is the same.
Its impossible to quantify that effect though. Did he / she not get the job because they were black / female? Or were they just not suitable for the position? If the HR guy has a history of hiring only hiring blonde caucasian females between the age of 18 - 25 and has Stormfront.org tucked away in his favorites, alarm bells should be ringing.
I believe individuals should be permitted to be as bigoted and racist as they like. Its sorts itself out in the end because the vast majority of people aren't that way inclined. Racism by and large is demonstrably in decline worldwide.
2017 Australia is a far less sexist and bigoted place than 1965 Australia.

Dave70 said:
Its impossible to quantify that effect though. Did he / she not get the job because they were black / female? Or were they just not suitable for the position? If the HR guy has a history of hiring only hiring blonde caucasian females between the age of 18 - 25 and has Stormfront.org tucked away in his favorites, alarm bells should be ringing.
I believe individuals should be permitted to be as bigoted and racist as they like. Its sorts itself out in the end because the vast majority of people aren't that way inclined. Racism by and large is demonstrably in decline worldwide.
2017 Australia is a far less sexist and bigoted place than 1965 Australia.
in some industries it will take more than time for bigotry, favouritism, and the old boys club attitude to fade into line with equality.
It can be subtle, but it only takes 1/2 a chance for that subtlety to translate into someone missing out on a job, promotion or pay rise.

and in terms of representative democracy - look how well not having quotas is working for the Liberal & National parties.

Liam_snorkel said:
look how well not having quotas is working for the Liberal & National parties.
PadWyIyNTAiLCIyNTAiLCJGRkZGRkYiXQ-minister-berejiklian.jpg

Exhibit A

because they have a resolution to eventually have 50% M:F split in parliament.

Shouldn't it be the best person for the job, not dependant on the male / female ratio?

that gets to my point. The people selecting the candidates to endorse for each party will select based on a subconscious bias.
the end result is a representative democracy that is not representative.

JOBZ FOR DA BOIZ

Equality hey, where's the minister for men :)

Senator the Hon Michaelia Cash

Minister for Employment
Minister for Women
Minister Assisting the Prime Minister for the Public Service
Senator for Western Australia

Liam_snorkel said:
that gets to my point. The people selecting the candidates to endorse for each party will select based on a subconscious bias.
the end result is a representative democracy that is not representative.

JOBZ FOR DA BOIZ
And the answer is????

Wobbly

Liam_snorkel said:
do we need one?
If we want to keep the ratio- yes.

So QLD has a female Premier and female Deputy Premier a female attorney general and female deputy attorney general. Should I as a male feel that I am not represented just because they are female?

Back