High Final Gravity Readings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pandreas

Reaction score
I often read about K&K brewers obtaining FG readings of 1.010 or less when fermentation has finished.

This makes me a little *jealous* as I have not yet been able to achieve a figure like this. In 4 brews I have had FG readings of 1.020, 1.019, 1.014 and 1.016 respectively.

In the first 2 brews, I used a poor quality yeast which most certainly was the problem.

My first ever brew had a FG of 1.020 andI used 1kg of glucose and 500g of corn syrup in it. The inability of the yeast to ferment these basic sugars properly has led to a sweet, disgusting liquid worthy only of the sewer. No point seeing if aging can correct this disaster..... Still have the stuff bottled though.

My 2nd brew contained only malt extract so ended up drinkable, but far too malty due to incomplete fermentation. The kit yeast couldn't handle 2.7kg of malt extract! OG was 1.051, FG 1.019.

In my third brew however I used 2 packets of Muntons Premium Gold to ferment a 1.5 kg tin of Black Rock Whispering Wheta and 1kg of Dried Wheat Extract. Beer was originally supposed to be an attempt at a Hoegaarden. Turned out OK except for the fact I used sweet orange peel instead of bitter. Still, the FG of 1.014 from an OG of 1.045 seemed a bit high. Was in fermenter 3 weeks at 18-20 degrees consistantly.

Fourth brew used a 1.5 litre starter of Coopers Pale Ale yeast to ferment 3kg of LDME - OG 1.044. After a few hours established a beautiful, thick and creamy krausen in the fermenter. After 1 week the gravity is 1.016. I'm disappointed as this yeast was meant to give a really LOW FG. I swirled the fermenter a little this morning hoping to rouse the yeast into action again, doubt any further significant drops in SG.

My fermenter sits on the kitchen bench and receives indirect sunlight all day.. could this be a problem?

In my latest brew the fermentables were caramelised, does this affect fermentability?

May the quality or feshness of Malt extracts affect fermentability?

What other variables affect fermentability?

I know that FG is not the goal of the home brewer and a higher FG means the finished product will have more 'mouth feel'.... Should I be at all concerned with FG?? Just once I'd like to make it to 1.010!

Any thoughts?

I know that FG is not the goal of the home brewer and a higher FG means the finished product will have more 'mouth feel'.... Should I be at all concerned with FG?? Just once I'd like to make it to 1.010!

Any thoughts?
I'm not really sure what the obsession is with getting a really low FG. The lower it is, the less flavour and body the beer is likely to have which will affect head retention and drinkability IMO. :(

Don't forget that malt and corn syrup and just about anything other than dextrose (glucose) that you put in your beer is not 100% fermentable. Corn syrup is only 30% fermentable so 500g of it in your brew is going to impact on your FG. The type of yeast is also going to affect the fermentation as different strains have different levels of attenuation. I've just done a newcastle brown with a windsor yeast because it's low attenuating so it will give me more body and flavour.

Basically if you want to get really low FG then use more glucose/dex and try using a dry enzyme and yeast nutrient. Be aware that you are going to get a really dry beer with minimal flavour, but if that's what you are after then that's up to you.

You might find the kits from a HBS provide yeast that is still in better condition. Sometimes the supermarket kits have been left in the sun or are very old stock. I got 1008 once on a Pale Ale with this method.

A HBS owner is more likely to look after the stock. If I get an el cheapo supermarket kit I get a sachet of great yeast from the HBS.

If your shop doesn't store the special seperate yeast packets in a fridge, consider finding another one.

Just on the point about "no point seeing if aging can correct this disaster", you might be surprised!

I had a disaster brew (for different reasons) which has come out drinkable (though not great) after three months. I look forward to trying it at 6!

Fact is, beers almost always improve with age.

Latest posts

Back