Hi newbie here just wish to be sure of carb drops vs sugar

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robrock

Reaction score
Hi just checking if I got this right I have carb drops that came with kit but think I'll use sugar instead ... Am I right to think one drop is 3 grams ? So if it says put in 2 drops per 740 ml bottle then instead I use 6 grams of white sugar ? Thanks .... Also when I bottle it will be at same temp but for how long and then what's a good temp after that and then when can they go in fridge .. Many thanks

The drops are good. Why not use them?
2 + weeks for bottle conditioning. At fermenting temp is ideal, but I can't so I go ambient temp.
I taste tested one after 1 1/2 weeks and it is lovely but I am leaving it longer.
I generally stick them in the fridge when I go to bed, that way they are cold tomorrow.

Work in the formula of 5gm per litre ( this is the rate coopers use for Pale ale )

So 5 x .740 = 3.7g

Bulk priming is the best way to go instead of individually priming. Makes for more even carbonation per batch

If you are using PET bottles, a good way of buying your sugar is in the form of CSR sugar cubes. One per 750ml bottle. About a third of the cost of the drops and they fit perfectly through the neck of any PET. Thats all I ever use, for competition entries as well.

edit: and you get absolutely identical priming. Some ales might turn out a wee tad overcarbed, just let them steam off in a beer jug.

Of course they don't work for glass bottles or stubbies but I've gone through countless boxes of da kyubs with no problems.

Was going to suggest sugar cubes...but they wont fit in a glass bottle.

Do you know how much a sugar wieghs.. ?

stu, no idea :lol:

I'll go and weigh one now, probably best weigh ten and divide.

4.5g

I boil up a measured amount of dextrose and water. Often, if you have purchased a brew kit, they will tell you the amounts. I then just use a 100 ml syringe to add the fluid to each bottle. By keeping my concentration the same, I can easily adjust the priming amount. The brown priming measures also work well. The drops work well but are more a marketing thing. Cost more for same results. Easier to use and harder to stuff up.

The syringe method is good as well if you have a collection of odd sized bottles, in the past I have seen it described as "Virtual Bulk Priming". All sorts of syringe sizes are available from all chemists for a few cents, don't need to convince them that it's for craft purposes... :D

Used the cubes on a pilsner I bottled for xmas and carb is perfect

Bribie G said:
stu, no idea :lol:

I'll go and weigh one now, probably best weigh ten and divide.

4.5g
That works out at 6g/1Ltr

Good enough.

Supercheap auto also has large syringes. So do the Chinese if you can plan ahead.

Bribie G said:
. All sorts of syringe sizes are available from all chemists for a few cents, don't need to convince them that it's for craft purposes... :D
I actually found the vet cheaper, and had bigger ones.

Back