Hi from brisbane northside.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motman

Reaction score
Hi all,
Checking in after having already received some good advice in a post or two. I'm just getting back into home brewing after a fifteen or so year break. A mate who brews cracking all grain beers has inspired me by proving it's possible. Back I the bad ol days I was using and modifying kits to widely varying results, the greater percentage being pretty nasty. Looking back on it I was probably largely trying lagers with ale yeasts and poor temp control. Hoping my current extract efforts will be better and I'll gradually move into AG.

Looking forward to it!

Cheers, Tom

Welcome mate. When I lived in Brisbane all my brews were shit. Temp control is a must is all I can say. Good luck

From one Brisbanite to another; welcome Motman,

There's lots of good information and helpful souls on AHB - hopefully you're next few brews will revive you're faith in homebrewing. Read up and don't be afraid to ask questions, people on here generally love sharing their knowledge and experiences. As a fellow Brisbaner (South-Westerner) feel free to hit me up if you want some help knocking out some nice kit or extract brews.

- Meno

Thanks fellas.

Meno, cheers for the offer. Likewise, if you want a hand, I'd be happy to help out - might learn something!

Cheers,
Tom

Welcome back to a changed brewing word.

Better availability of better supplies in a fresher state and with information and help widely and easily accessible, there's no reason to brew less than decent beers these days.

Check out Craftbrewer for all your supplies. It's a bit of a drive from North Brisbane but well worth it. You give them a grain bill and they mill it on site and vacume seal it. If your not in a rush I'd wait to buy second hand gear on the cheap. Everyone seems to upgrade so there's always equipment for sale.

Ciderman said:
Check out Craftbrewer for all your supplies. It's a bit of a drive from North Brisbane but well worth it. You give them a grain bill and they mill it on site and vacume seal it. If your not in a rush I'd wait to buy second hand gear on the cheap. Everyone seems to upgrade so there's always equipment for sale.
Cheers Ciderman. I checked it out.. looks good.. Is there really nothing closer to redcliffe though? I try to use my local HB shop but they are incredibly limited. Going north is way easier than south for me.. anything northwards?

All depends on what you want to make. There are home brew shops everywhere but IMO they focus on the beer kits and extract styles along with spirits and wine. Craftbrewer is like the name suggests, it's not just about home brew or beer, it's about craft beer. If you can't drive there get them to post it.

Try Brewers Choice @ Kedron inbound Gympie Rd just past the piano mob sells grains also pretty helpful as well.

Pine Rivers Underground Brewers are a flourishing North Side club, meeting on the Last Tuesday of the month at Kruger Hall, Kallangur last time I checked ( handy for Redcliffe, Just follow Anzac Ave).
Both all grain and extract brewers, great fellowship and award winning brewers amongst their ranks.

When I lived on Bribie (as my username suggests) I found CraftBrewer to be the best source (still do, excellent service to all parts of the country) and for orders up to 5kg for hops, yeast, spec grains and bits, the Fastway satchel is swift and not too expensive compared to driving to a shop.

Check out Stillscottish's shop in Sandgate "Bayside Brewing & Home Gourmet Supplies" near the roundabout. He may not have everything you need but he does know his allgrain shit. I must get up there one day and see what he stocks - near the Cardigan Bar if that helps.

All in brewing banyo do grain , FWK's and hops if over 500g and some nice beers on tap to sample while your there

Belated welcome mate. I used to live on the south side but that's no reason for fisticuffs. I have a brewing mate from the Pine Rivers and I suppose he's not such a bad bloke. (oh, and what Calobes said.)

Well, thanks for making me feel like the guest of honour everyone. I've learned tonnes already and thus far still believe I can make a decent beer (two being loaded, so hopefully). I visited stillscottishes shop, which looks like the goods for my local yeast and hops purchases. Craftbrewer is now well on the radar.. I'll leave the credit card at home I reckon. Look forward to having a beer with u gents at some stage.

Oh, and I got me a fermentation fridge and temp controller for the princely sum of 55 bucks so hopefully I'm in with a shot.

Hi Motman, welcome from a fellow Brissy brewer.
There is a new online site starting soon based on the Brissy Northside.
Looks good for ingredients.
www.hoppydaysbrewingsupplies.com.au.

Temp control is your No 1 priority - check.

Other tips - clean beer is good beer. Sanitise everything.
Download - Beer Smith app - where you can find recipes & create your own. Free trial & a must for every brewer.

Enjoy.

Latest posts

Back