Intro: New From Brisbane Northside

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Smith

Reaction score
Hi My name is Paul.

Just getting all of my thing together to start doing home brew.
I have my vessels, I am modifying them at the moment. I have my first fermenter, I picked up a fridge from a mate last week that has a tap in the door and came with a Co2 gas bottle. I picked up two days ago a new three roller mill and two transfer pumps and a few other pieces.
My system is still in the beginning and wont be ready for a while. I have been doing some research and a fare bit of reading on here so I joined up to share and learn.
I am looking forward to getting my system up and running and meeting a few local brewers and comparing beers.

Paul

Hello Paul and welcome. Give us some pics and words to go with your set up/ plan to do. these are always great threads. I'm also on the northside and brew most weekend. drop me a PM me if you would like to meet up and brew.

G'day Paul, I'm a Brisbane Northside as well. Over towards Mitchelton.

Awesome to be building your brewery. Definitely pics as well please!

The Southside is a Neo-Californian sprawl with no soul, Northside rulez :)
Depending on how North you are, there's an excellent home brew club that meets at Kallangur.

P.U.B.S.

Hi Paul. Depending on where on the north side you are check out Hoppy Days for your all grain brew supplies. No affiliation just a happy customer. Steve has great prices and service.

I was a north-sider, but about about to transfer to the south-side..... southsiderz for life :super:

Also a happy customer of hoppydays, and welcome by the way!

Starting home brew with such a "well endowed" system - well done ;) took me ages to make the move to all-grain from kit brewing and I wished I'd done it sooner.

If I may suggest, and if you have the basic gear, put down some kit brews while you're waiting for the rest of your equipment. I read your original post to mean that you're starting home brew - ie you've never brewed before - so getting the hang of fermentation, sanitisation and bottling/kegging will pay you dividends, because when you get the brewery fully operational you're going to have plenty on your plate to deal with at once. Might as well learn part of the process early.

If you want to do all-grain instead of a kit, you could try a BIAB as long as you have a pot, a method of heating that pot, and $10 bag. Everything else is technically optional. Crack your own grain or buy it pre-cracked, I'd recommend pre-cracked so you can be sure it's milled properly (assuming you haven't had a chance to set up and calibrate your own mill yet - might as well remove that from the equation to ensure it all goes smoothly for your first time)

Hi Paul,

Welcome. All the best for your future brewing.

I'm over Sandgate way as well. Been brewing for about 4 years now. Tend to hang in the Extract brewing area plus a little partial-mashing.

Cheers,

Pete

Or you could try some fresh wort kits from a local brew store - I'm not familiar with the shops in Brisbane but I assume plenty of these area available

Hey Guys, thanks for the warm welcome, I will be trying all sorts of different types, I will be doing extract as I have to do a gluten free beer for my oldest son.
I have never done home brew but I do know a little about brewing as I have been working in a Brewery for the last 10 years. I started in packaging then moved into the brewing side of things about 8 years ago.
The reason I am starting my own system is to help me with my study. Over the last 6 months we were upgrading our brewhouse and I have been working with a Master Brewer from Germany,
So over the last 6 months I have learnt more about brewing then in the last 10 years. So when I was working with the Brewer he told me to build a system get it up and running and start testing different thing to see how they work so that is what I am doing.
So I know how a big brewery works but have never touched anything small so that is why I am doing what I am doing.
I am currently work at XXXX but I want to learn more.
I will start a thread and put some pics up,

Paul

Hey Paul - welcome from me as well. The quickest/easiest brew to put on is a Fresh Wort Kit plus a packet of good yeast. All Inn have a brewhouse bar at Banyo where you can try their beers before buying their FWK. Bacchus have a brewhouse bar at Capalaba and you can buy their Fresh Wort kits at Craftbrewer two doors up. I can vouch for the quality of both should you choose to go that way.

G'day Paul! Welcome aboard. Sounds like you're well on the way to the dream set up having already got the best job! Enjoy the forum hey. I'm pretty new too and everyone is pretty awesome!
Cheers
Sam

I'm Brisbane Northside, but I'm more a drinker than brewer. I did do home brew over 20 years ago, but after I realised the plastic fermenters really didn't last, I stopped. I'd like to get back to it sometime, but there are so many great to buy and try, it'd be hard. Plus I'd want stainless gear...

Mobe1969 said:
I'm Brisbane Northside, but I'm more a drinker than brewer. I did do home brew over 20 years ago, but after I realised the plastic fermenters really didn't last, I stopped. I'd like to get back to it sometime, but there are so many great to buy and try, it'd be hard. Plus I'd want stainless gear...
Lots more available now than there was 20 years ago I'd say, check out Keg King Kegmenters for stainless fermenting gear. There's also some conical bottom stuff around as well. Not super cheap, but it's good for other stuff as well.

If Lion are bringing in German master brewers for advice then there's hope yet. :)

Latest posts

Back