Hi Brewers Im New Around Here

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My name is Adam, i have not brewed before and thought i would jump in the deep end and go for an all grain set up. i know it sounds like im byting off a bit more than i can chew but I do work at Tooheys as a fitter and haved a very good insite in the brewing process. My set up consists of 1 x 50L vessel for the mash tun that i put a faules bottom in and a braided s/s screen on the out take, this mash tun is also lagged. My kettle is the same but without the faules bottom and my hot liquer tank is a square s/s 80L lagged tank with temp control. I hope to make my first brew this week end.

Welcome to AHB IWALNT, I doubt you're biting off more than you can chew mate, AG is pretty easy, it's just a bit dawnting to some of those that have been making kits for so long, like it was for me. And working at a brewery, damn, you could prolly teach us a few things. Enjoy the hobby :icon_cheers:

welcome aboard Adam.

You will find this place a wealth of knowledge, experience and information.

Just a tip....... we dont usually advertise the fact we use 50 liter kegs. That would be stealing :)

They are usually called 50 liter "vessels"

cheers
Tony

Welcome Adam,

Firstly let me congratulate you on diving in head first, it's what I did and my god the amount of mistakes I made along the way. Secondly all grain brewing, so long as you understand the process, isn't all that hard and given that you seem to have all the kit ready to go you should be fine, I'd recommend for your first time getting a flow chart ready so you don't cock up any of your steps. Also remember that anything that touches the wort after the boil needs to be super clean and sanitised. I find the best way to do this is wash your kit with a weak bleach solution and scrub with a plastic scour and then just rinse with boiling water, there are some expensive sanitisers out there that will do the job also but I've never had a problem with using bleach and boiling water.

What have you got in mind for your first brew ?

Aaron

edit: Tony +10000000 that made me laugh !

Welcome Adam!

+1 to all above. Nice work on getting into All Grain too.

Also, in addition to above, don't be concerned if you airlock is not bubbling during the ferment. If you have a steady Gravity Reading over 3 days its ready to keg/bottle.

Also remember that anything that touches the wort after the boil needs to be super clean and sanitised. I find the best way to do this is wash your kit with a weak bleach solution and scrub with a plastic scour and then just rinse with boiling water, there are some expensive sanitisers out there that will do the job also but I've never had a problem with using bleach and boiling water.
Welcome Bloke,
I couldn't agree more with Spartan re the sanitisation.Everything post boil must be clean and sanitissed( i even spray it on my hands before i handle stuff). The only caveat to Spartans advice is I never use a scourer in a fermentor.They can scratch the soft surface of the platic and leave nasty little microscopic troughs in which bacteria grow.Soft cloths only here.But each to their own...
As for bleach , well i don't use it.I'm far more comfortable using iodopher , which is a non rinse sanitiser.I put the recommended amount in a spray bottle and spray everything ( after its been cleaned with nappisan and a soft cloth and rinsed)
Good luck with it all.
Maybe take a beer in to show the boss at Tooheys , once you get it all up and runing :lol:
Cheers
Ferg

Thanks for the good advice guys,

Now dont laugh but i thing my first beer i make will be a tooheys new, the reasons for this is i have a fair idea of the recipe and i can take it to work and put it through the analizer and test it against tooheys new just to see where i stand. And thanks for the tip Tony - now fixed

Thanks for the good advice guys,

Now dont laugh but i thing my first beer i make will be a tooheys new, the reasons for this is i have a fair idea of the recipe and i can take it to work and put it through the analizer and test it against tooheys new just to see where i stand. And thanks for the tip Tony - now fixed

if its good they may reformulate to make it "tooheys newer"

Latest posts

Back