Hey, no foam on my brew

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thedog

Reaction score
Hey all in new to this. My second brew hasn't gone foamy on the top after 24 hours. It's a draught. It's bubbling but not foaming is this normal?

Yes

I rarely bother checking my brews for the first 3 day or so. The yeast doesn't know you're anxiously watching like a newbie parent willing their child to take its first steps, it'll do its thing in its own sweet time and it if really feels like yanking your chain, you'll get no foam, no airlock bubbles, no nothing, just a magically fermented beer. If you're really worried after 48 hours, take a hydro sample. If it the same as the original gravity when you pitched, you may have a problem that needs to be solved.

Until then, relax

Relax... there's no rule that says the beer should have a layer of foam on it after 24 hours. Sometimes it takes a little longer. Sometimes there's hardly any but the brew still ferments fine.

Are you referring to the brew itself bubbling or the airlock?

The brew is bubbling. My kit doesn't have a airlock. It's a new coopers kit

The foam is called krausen. It's nice to have krausen after 24 hours but it doesn't always happen. If it's already bubbling then it should be fine. By this time tomorrow night you should have a nice krausen starting form, in most cases.
If it you don't see any change after 2 or 3 days then you might need to add more yeast. Give the wort a good shake/whisk to aerate before you add the yeast to help it get started. If it doesn't get started then give some more detail about your process.

It's really hard to be patient on your first couple of brews :)

Cool thanks guys for your help. Ill be asking a lot of questions.
I've been trying to google what I want to know but you don't always believe what you read.
It's better to hear from people who know what there talking about.

Cheers!

ok. It had a nice beer smell this morning. Now it has a fruity smell I guess this is normal too?

Latest posts

Back