Herms system.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be ok. What is the expected weight of your mash, 50kg (10kg + 40L)? And which pump are you using?

Usually around 10kg and 35ltr. So approx 45kg. I have a Keg King MKII pump. See attached. ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1452993246.384684.jpg

Although a couple of things to think about, i.e. how will you actually run your brewday:

1) 40L HLT is ok for initial strike water (30L?) but then only have 10L in it. Is this enough to cover the coil, and what is the plan with the ~30L of required sparge water, i.e. getting it to temp without knocking the HLT/HEX temp around? You might take 20min to get your strike water to 70°C (and as such, initial mash temp to 65°C) but then you've got to dig up 30L of hot water from somewhere. If you can, you can hit your mash out in about 1.5hrs including a 45min rest at 65°C. If you can't, you have to either turn the HERMS off for your first 20min of the mash or gently bleed in water... which will get you closer to about 2hrs.
2) If you strike with tap water (30L at 25°C) this means that you need only 30L of sparge water in your HLT but your whole system is then coming up in one go, which will take about 50min to get to a 65°C rest temp. Is that ok? It would then take about 20min to get to 75°C after 45min rest, so you're looking at about 2hr to get to mash out temperature, which includes all your ramps and one 45min rest at 65°C.

Does one of these sound about right?

Yeah, I'm not sure if my idea is really viable, but was trying to work with what I have and keep it simple. My basic brew day plan was as follows:

- Heat HLT to strike temp required to dough in at 55deg.
- While that rests, refill HLT and heat to 65deg. Should be about 20 minutes to allow for a protein rest.
- Switch pump to HEX and raise temp to 65deg for 45min rest.
- Ramp to 75deg and mashout.
- Sparge from the HLT. (With only one pump I was planning to just mashout then batch sparge at this stage.

If you think it's not workable, feel free to let me know. I appreciate the input.

I guess the only real issue is how long you want to protein rest vs the total time. By the time you add fiddling, adding water, and the actual ramp rate you might be pushing it a bit and things might get thrown off a bit when you go from your protein to sacch. If you're using German munich, pils etc then fine, but British/Aussie pale malts really don't need more than maybe 5-10min if you really feel like it.

I would see how much water you need to cover your coil. For ramping, really that's all you need... then you can either add the rest in one go and keep the circulation off until the temp comes up to a few degrees above your current rest temp; or add bit by bit and keep circulation through the whole time.

Overall though I think it's good. You have matched power appropriately and have a sensible coil length and pump (your actual flow will likely be 10-13lpm by the way). The only catch is managing the water in your HLT which is not much of a catch at all - many ways to skin that cat as we've talked about above.

:)

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I'll start out with what I had planned I think and see how it goes. No doubt it will evolve somewhat from there and in the meantime, I'll still be making a decent brew I think! Cheers[emoji482]

Yeah no worries.

You can always heat 40L to start with, and use that time to:
- crack grain
- prepare water treatment (sodium met, vitamin C)
- prepare salts to be added
- review recipe
- prepare scales, hops
- prepare buckets, chiller, etc.

So then you'll have 10L at least, and then you can add as much as you comfortably can during the the protein rest and the rest during the sacch. See how you go anyway.

CanMan said:
Basic control for my 3v Herms system. Two pumps on off latched switches. One or two elements on for both hlt and boil vessels. And a switch for temp feedback control for the hlt direct and mash return temp controlling the hlt vessel. I figured it's better to control the hlt directly to the return mash temp.
Hi were abouts did u get your omron pids from and if u don't mind me asking how much were they?
Cheers Ty

Realise this is a bit past dates but why not heat HLT to initial temp say 65 ready to go. Bring mash water up to temp in Boil tank, pump into mash tun from it, let rest, swap hoses as rests then start your cycle. That's what I'm doing and works fine, or have I missed something.

Back