Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
go getto and get some stainless steel wire and just wrap the bugger on?

You should be able to get Selleys Silicone 401 (-60 deg c to +205 deg c) at Bunnings. I priced the only food-grade Loctite I know of the other day (Loctite 2046). Too dear for me at $47.00 a pop. :eek:
What other food-grade Loctites are there?

TP

I think Loctite 2046 is the only FDA compliant version, according to their website ( http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/food-be...e-2046-8063.htm )

Magical_Snap___2012.04.27_14.02___001.jpg

I think Loctite 2046 is the only FDA compliant version, according to their website ( http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/food-be...e-2046-8063.htm )

View attachment 54099

How will loctite work though? Its not a silicone its a thread locker. Were putting the probe through the push on or compression fitting and up through some nylon tube then using silicone to seal up the inside of the tube.

Or are you talking about using the locite to seal the compression fitting where it screws onto the T piece??

The one I was thinking of is Loctite 577, which I was recommended for keg systems.... and is recommended for potable water systems

Will bond across a 0.25mm gap to 25% strength... but there are probably other options... look for potable water applicability :)

But I wasn't chasing a loctite solution, but rather a silicon one.

KASON SIL Kason Food Grade Silicone
Food grade silicone. Colour: Aluminium Grey, suitable for use with stainless steel. High temperature formula heat resistant to 200C (400F). Premium grade. Air cures overnight. Tack-free in 15 minutes. Uses: Waterproof adhesive bonds better than generic sealants. Won't peel. Tube volume: 304ml
http://www.crh.com.au/products/fabrication...grade-silicone/

SikaLastomer-511
SikaLastomer 511 is a high solids, non hardening, non-drying, butyl mastic sealant designed for sealing roof and wall panels and concealed endlaps. It has excellent adhesion to various substrates and is food grade approved

These guys (US) sell SS Compression Fittings for US $13, no idea if they fit the HERM-IT probes (they are 1/4" for the probe)
http://www.embeddedcc.com/index.php/produc...on-fitting.html

I also have a (threaded MPT) 2" Thermowell left over from my (HERMS) build, like this:

$15 and free postage for anyone that wants it.

You can still put silicon on them if you want, though it wouldn't serve any purpose. :icon_cheers:

PM sent.... :icon_cheers:

These guys (US) sell SS Compression Fittings for US $13, no idea if they fit the HERM-IT probes (they are 1/4" for the probe)

I also have a (threaded MPT) 2" Thermowell left over from my (HERMS) build, like this:

You can still put silicon on them if you want, though it wouldn't serve any purpose. :icon_cheers:

The SS probe on our HERM-IT brewery controller is 6mm dia and 32 mm long.
Nev

Heres my finished Hex coil with the temp probe neatly fitted into the push in fitting.

hex.JPG

Not with that probe but I have done a brew with it using my probe in the sparge arm I made. Worked really well. Kept temps to within a degree either way.

Heres a trap for young players....(Or maybe just dickheads like me.. :rolleyes: )

I had all sorts of problems trying to get air out of my lines and getting my pump to push fluid through the system. I narrowed it down to the fact that my inlet into the hex coil was connected the wrong way around. So the inlet was connected to the wound coil section and coming back up through the middle.
This meant the pump was trying to push air in front of the fluid down through the coils.
When I swapped it over so the inlet was connected to the middle pipe the air was pushed straight down to the botom of the coil and then naturally the air rose up through the coil and the mash return line to the top.

I didnt consider this when first connecting it all up but it certainly made a diference.

Heres a trap for young players....(Or maybe just dickheads like me.. :rolleyes: )

I had all sorts of problems trying to get air out of my lines and getting my pump to push fluid through the system. I narrowed it down to the fact that my inlet into the hex coil was connected the wrong way around. So the inlet was connected to the wound coil section and coming back up through the middle.
This meant the pump was trying to push air in front of the fluid down through the coils.
When I swapped it over so the inlet was connected to the middle pipe the air was pushed straight down to the botom of the coil and then naturally the air rose up through the coil and the mash return line to the top.

I didnt consider this when first connecting it all up but it certainly made a diference.

Good tip, My HERMS is set up like your original troublesome set up. I only have small issues priming my pump (works 9 times out of 10 and only requires a little jiggle to get it started), but i would love it it self prime every time!!

I originally had my pump before the hex coil at the very bottom. So the flow path was from MLT through pump, through hex coil and to mlt return line.

Now my pump is higher up so the flow path is from MLT through hex, through pump, which is higher than the hex, then to MLT return. If I place my MLT return line into a bucket on the ground and open the MLT tap the wort flows freely into the bucket pushing all the air out. I switch on the pump and raise the bucket and line to the mlt and it flows nicely.

BTW: How did the party go Dave? Did you serve up red cordial in your mash tun.. :p

BTW: How did the party go Dave? Did you serve up red cordial in your mash tun.. :p
[/quote]

Flouro green icing on the horse cake. party pies, sausage roles....you name it..!
We partied like all 2 year olds do!

I should have force carbed some red cordial..damn.

Flouro green icing on the horse cake. party pies, sausage roles....you name it..!
We partied like all 2 year olds do!

I should have force carbed some red cordial..damn.

Ha Ha Yeh well the wife commented on how "well stocked" your trolley was with party goods. :D

This has probably been answered some where else but searching for lubrication silicone stuck and you get all sorts of weird and wonderful answers - anyway my tubes gets stuck on the coil and hose tails, any solutions other than quick disconnects?

Back