Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
noob question but wont the hottest point be just out of the exchanger? Isnt that the best place for it?

:icon_cheers:

This way using some temporary fittings, but should give you an idea of what is being setup

The black tube from the top houses the line to the temp probe,
The probe is pushed all the way through the T into the pickup

hermit_out.jpg

This way using some temporary fittings, but should give you an idea of what is being setup

The black tube from the top houses the line to the temp probe,
The probe is pushed all the way through the T into the pickup

View attachment 54093

Thanks Kev.. Ive currently got a small copper t set up just on the outlet side I think I can make work... bit more tinkering

Thanks Kev.. Ive currently got a small copper t set up just on the outlet side I think I can make work... bit more tinkering

That fitting Truman got for the outer skin looks great, a lot neater than the compression fitting I am using.

The temp probe wire is just siliconed into the the outer hose (black in my case, Truman has clear)

QldKev

That fitting Truman got for the outer skin looks great, a lot neater than the compression fitting I am using.

The temp probe wire is just siliconed into the the outer hose (black in my case, Truman has clear)

QldKev

You can get them from Univer Yob for around $8 inc GST.. ;)

I did a wet test run of my herms the other day and noticed with my temp probe positioned in my return line into the mash tun My temp fell about .6 C either side of 65C.

So the hex would switch of at 65C and the temp would climb to about 65.6C before falling again. the hex would switch back on at 65C and the temp would drop to around 64.5C before the temp started to climb again.

Is this considered an acceptable temperature variation? Is anyone getting better than this?

I did a wet test run of my herms the other day and noticed with my temp probe positioned in my return line into the mash tun My temp fell about .6 C either side of 65C.

So the hex would switch of at 65C and the temp would climb to about 65.6C before falling again. the hex would switch back on at 65C and the temp would drop to around 64.5C before the temp started to climb again.

Is this considered an acceptable temperature variation? Is anyone getting better than this?

I think 1 degree overall variation is acceptable. You could check the controllers settings, ie on a STC-1000 ensure F2 is set to 0.3 (the min), otherwise if using a PID it should learn and decrease this gap further. Eventually I think I will get a PID with programmable steps to help ensure I don't miss step intervals. The main thing is you will have this same given amount of variation every brew, so after sampling the beers you can commence to tweak brew numbers to hopefully perfect the recipe on your system for your taste buds. :icon_cheers:

QldKev

I think 1 degree overall variation is acceptable. You could check the controllers settings, ie on a STC-1000 ensure F2 is set to 0.3 (the min), otherwise if using a PID it should learn and decrease this gap further. Eventually I think I will get a PID with programmable steps to help ensure I don't miss step intervals. The main thing is you will have this same given amount of variation every brew, so after sampling the beers you can commence to tweak brew numbers to hopefully perfect the recipe on your system for your taste buds. :icon_cheers:

QldKev

Im using an STC1000 and have F2 set to .3. Im going to switch to a PID eventually too as it seems the way to go.

QldKev

What sort of silicons are you guys using for this? Looking at bunnings the other day most don't appear to be foodgrade?

What sort of silicons are you guys using for this? Looking at bunnings the other day most don't appear to be foodgrade?

Good question?? Kev??? I havent built mine yet. Forgot to pay for my temp sensor on ebay. Only checked today as it should have been here by now.

Don't ask me, the one I used say's it is o2 sensor safe :ph34r:

I know another one up here is back filled using loctite :party:

I wouldn't be super concerned as it is only a minute amount that would be in contact with the wort, it wouldn't be much over 2mm2 I think you would be safe with any kitchen grade silicone from Bunnings.

QldKev

Don't ask me, the one I used say's it is o2 sensor safe :ph34r:

I know another one up here is back filled using loctite :party:

I wouldn't be super concerned as it is only a minute amount that would be in contact with the wort, it wouldn't be much over 2mm2 I think you would be safe with any kitchen grade silicone from Bunnings.

QldKev

Some loctites are food grade. Bathroom silicons are not food grade. Many kitchen ones are okay for incidental food contact, many are not suitable for immersion.

The one I was looking at is the Selley's "glass" one which I think is food grade as its suitable for aquarium use

What they say is that Selleys roof and gutter silicone is food grade since people use the runoff for their potable water tanks. Seem to remember someone giving the manufacturer a call ages ago.

What they say is that Selleys roof and gutter silicone is food grade since people use the runoff for their potable water tanks. Seem to remember someone giving the manufacturer a call ages ago.
Is the bat shit on my roof also food grade?

:lol:

And the "Glass" stuff

"Will not adhere to concrete, cement products, zinc or copper containing metals, marble, limestone or lead."

And the "Glass" stuff

"Will not adhere to concrete, cement products, zinc or copper containing metals, marble, limestone or lead."

That's ok, cause we only need it to adhere to the temp probe cable inside a nylon tube.

QldKev

You should be able to get Selleys Silicone 401 (-60 deg c to +205 deg c) at Bunnings. I priced the only food-grade Loctite I know of the other day (Loctite 2046). Too dear for me at $47.00 a pop. :eek:
What other food-grade Loctites are there?

TP

Latest posts

Back