Hermit Coil Heat Exchange Build

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are they 12mm or 1/2" BSP compression fittings.

If they are 1/2" BSP, aaron posted a pic showing to replace the ferrule with 0-rings.

I think they are 12mm as thats what I told him I needed but haven't checked. Why do you need an o ring for 1/2 BSP? (Please dont tell me to re read this entire thread again to find Aarons post..Or at least tell me what page it is on.)

I think they are 12mm as thats what I told him I needed but haven't checked. Why do you need an o ring for 1/2 BSP? (Please dont tell me to re read this entire thread again to find Aarons post..Or at least tell me what page it is on.)

They are 1/2" and I can confirm the O rings work a treat.
You need the O rings because the fittings are a bees dick too large.

Just run the pumps from a separate point. You haven to run the pump 100% of the time and probably have this thing plugged into a powerboard anyway.

+1 - an option to run a March pump would be good.

Not sure why you would want a 240V march pump output since it is always on? The pump output on the HERMIT controller is to supply 12V "brown" pumps, so you don't need a plugpack or whatever.

edit: yeah, above.

You could run some lovely Xmas lights off the Pump Output, so you know your HERMIT is 'sparkling' inside.
I built a HERMS Controller but the pump is just straight through - on/off. I need to prime it, stop it occasionally, start it at other times outside of HERMS etc.
Post count +1. Global knowledge -2.

where are those "hermit brew rig threads" not the coil thread ?

i cant find them ?

please help

i worry abou you building a hx if you couldnt find the thread...

Not sure why you would want a 240V march pump output since it is always on? The pump output on the HERMIT controller is to supply 12V "brown" pumps, so you don't need a plugpack or whatever.
so that your controller controlls everything. not having seperate switches/boxes for multiple pieces of equipment

Yes, next Monday I roll out this ! With the relevant cords and sensor attached.
We have been playing with cosmetics. loosing the black stuff around the screen and going for a stainless surround. Bit of Bling !
View attachment 53821
sweet. now to quickly find $300

hope you are adding cheat codes...something like UP, UP, DOWN, LEFT, UP, RIGHT to get a 5% discount at nev's place?

If anyone is having trouble finding those high temp O rings to seal their compression fittings, I have 100 coming that I could easily mail out to anyone that needs them, I wont be needing them all.

You will need 6 to properly fit you coil, and they work a treat.

PM me if interested, they are hard to find in Australia.

Yes, next Monday I roll out this ! With the relevant cords and sensor attached.
We have been playing with cosmetics. loosing the black stuff around the screen and going for a stainless surround. Bit of Bling !
Nev
Ed and the decals will be level :lol:
View attachment 53821

Nev
I would expect nothing less than an upgrade to the ss bling....... At least post it to me to stick on.

Best brew gear I've ever bought ....
Cheers
BBB

If anyone is having trouble finding those high temp O rings to seal their compression fittings, I have 100 coming that I could easily mail out to anyone that needs them, I wont be needing them all.

You will need 6 to properly fit you coil, and they work a treat.

PM me if interested, they are hard to find in Australia.
I put the olive on the coil end and it seemed to be a decent fit. Just had a slight bit of play, less than .5 mm, but I thought it would seal once the nut was tightened up.
Or am I way off here and does the olive need to be tight on the sleeve? Ive never played with compression fittings before.

Well I had the SS 1/2 inch compressions and as stated before, they were a bees dick not tight enough.

The O-Rings combines with the small half of the olive works a treat, in what I like to call the 'Argon' method.

I was using corny keg post o-rings but I figured they would degrade fairly quickly at the high temps that I am running my herms at so I got some from overseas.

I couldnt find them anywhere in australia (the places i looked anyway).

Plumbing sealant would solve the .5mm issue. If you do it right, it should keep the olive glued to the coil and still allow removal of fittings for cleaning. The sealant can be removed too.

Well I had the SS 1/2 inch compressions and as stated before, they were a bees dick not tight enough.

The O-Rings combines with the small half of the olive works a treat, in what I like to call the 'Argon' method.

I was using corny keg post o-rings but I figured they would degrade fairly quickly at the high temps that I am running my herms at so I got some from overseas.

I couldnt find them anywhere in australia (the places i looked anyway).
Ahh the "Argon" method, will that stop my girlfriend getting pregnant ?
Or is it just good for the HERM-IT B)
I like the O ring idea.
Nev

Ok. Can someone please explain to me how to do the argon method? Do you replace the olive with 3 O rings or use them with the olive??

i worry abou you building a hx if you couldnt find the thread...

lol i worry about me building a HX, wait to you see my little vid i have uploaded :huh:
thanks for your concerns :D

i meant the threads for the brumiser type builds i thought someone had one with the a hermit coil already in operation in a seperate thread
anyway i will go back through and find them...

Ok. Can someone please explain to me how to do the argon method? Do you replace the olive with 3 O rings or use them with the olive??
I believe as I have not tried the Argon method that the O rings are used on the pointy side of the olive and actually take up the excess space.
Please correct me if I am wrong but it makes sense.
Nev

Latest posts

Back