Help!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reviled

Reaction score
Hey guys, currently mashing in a small IPA and got a bit heavy handed on the citric acid :( Mash PH is at 5.0 and im not sure how I can bring it back up?? Ive never mashed this low before so not sure what can happen???

Please help, what do I do? Will my enzymes still be able to convert sugars? Should I mash longer than 60 mins??????

Hey guys, currently mashing in a small IPA and got a bit heavy handed on the citric acid :( Mash PH is at 5.0 and im not sure how I can bring it back up?? Ive never mashed this low before so not sure what can happen???

Please help, what do I do? Will my enzymes still be able to convert sugars? Should I mash longer than 60 mins??????

I would not add any more chemicals as the mash has buffered to pH5.0. You could add some more hot water at 70C to dilute the pH effect. Actually 5.0 is not all that bad but definitely at the bottom end of where you need to be . 5.2 would be optimum.

Wes

I would not add any more chemicals as the mash has buffered to pH5.0. You could add some more hot water at 70C to dilute the pH effect. Actually 5.0 is not all that bad but definitely at the bottom end of where you need to be . 5.2 would be optimum.

Wes

Cheers Wes, my kettles full as so no room for any more water, might just have to see how it goes... I normally have the PH around 5.6 so have never gone anywhere near this low before

Did you add the citric acid as a result of the local water? Apart from some Calcium in UK beers or Sulphates in Aussie Ales I usually just use 5.2 stabiliser and don't have problems even though our local supply on Bribie Island is a mongrel dog.

Did you add the citric acid as a result of the local water? Apart from some Calcium in UK beers or Sulphates in Aussie Ales I usually just use 5.2 stabiliser and don't have problems even though our local supply on Bribie Island is a mongrel dog.

I usually use a combination of citric acid and gypsum but was out of gypsum, the PH of the local water is quite high.. Have never used the 5.2 stabiliser...

I would mash for 90 mins, I always do regardless. Can't hurt. Relax it should be AOK.

I would mash for 90 mins, I always do regardless. Can't hurt. Relax it should be AOK.

I normally only do a 60 min mash, but today, just in case, I mashed for 90 mins ;) the FWH are smelling great so im sure itll be fine

I usually use a combination of citric acid and gypsum but was out of gypsum, the PH of the local water is quite high.. Have never used the 5.2 stabiliser...

We have fairly hard water (approaching 8) but it shifts quickly when it's in a mash. I don't remember what my mash pH was when I tested it a few years ago but I've never had starch conversion problems. There's two kinds of hardness, and with one of them (temporary hardness) you can boil the water and let the minerals precipitate out of the water so it drops the pH. I don't even bother boiling my water before the mash. I just use it as it is out of the tap. I probably should use my charcoal filter to take out the chlorine but I don't and get wonderful tasting beers.

The enzymes may prefer a certain mash pH but you can be off a bit (not a lot) and still get good conversion.

Back