Help! Stuck Ferment?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rorschach

Reaction score
Hey everyone
Quick qualifier: wouldn't be asking this quickly normally but need to get this bottled before I go away in 10 days! My own fault, should have gotten started last week...

I put down a Mangrove Jacks craft kit around this time yesterday, same as I've done for my previous brews with no issues and after 24 hours nothing's happening. It's been sat in a sink with a few ice bricks to keep it cool and I'm worried I might have killed it...
I've taken it out of the water to try and thaw it and see what that does. After that, I'm thinking I might try some more yeast and kick it off again.
All suggestions and criticisms welcome

Are there any bubbles, condensation on the underside of the lid? What type of brew is it, ale, lager??

Aussie Pale Ale.
Bit of condensation under the lid, but that's been there since I put the lid on yesterday
No bubbling, that's why I'm worried...
There looks to be a bit of crap at the bottom of the fermenter I noticed as well, but the kit and sugar was definitely all dissolved and homogenous before I pitched.

I'll give the hydrometer a go before bed and see. I'm hoping that warming it up a bit would kick start it and I won't need to do anything...

Slight density drop, but not sure yet if that's just the temperature difference from yesterday to today. Will check again tomorrow and confirm. Might just be a leak somewhere

24 hours isn't really long enough to be worrying about a stuck ferment. Sometimes they do take a bit longer to foam up (form a krausen). If you get past 48 hours without any obvious signs, check the SG again and then go from there in regards to pitching more yeast or not.

Hi Rorschach - Given the weather's been quite mild in Perth lately, and you've surrounded your fermenter in ice blocks, I'm going to suggest that maybe your wort is just a tad on the cold side - which is slowing down your fermentation. Temp over the next couple of days is around 23/24 degrees - although not ideal temperatures, I'd leave the ice blocks out of the equation.

How long are you away for? There's a chance you might have to wait until you get back before you bottle it (although 10 days *should* be enough.)

Oh, and what Rocker ^^ said - 24 hours.. that's not really that long.

Rocker1986 said:
24 hours isn't really long enough to be worrying about a stuck ferment. Sometimes they do take a bit longer to foam up (form a krausen). If you get past 48 hours without any obvious signs, check the SG again and then go from there in regards to pitching more yeast or not.
Fair point. Not had one not kick off within 12 hours yet, so getting a bit touchy

pnorkle said:
Hi Rorschach - Given the weather's been quite mild in Perth lately, and you've surrounded your fermenter in ice blocks, I'm going to suggest that maybe your wort is just a tad on the cold side - which is slowing down your fermentation. Temp over the next couple of days is around 23/24 degrees - although not ideal temperatures, I'd leave the ice blocks out of the equation.

How long are you away for? There's a chance you might have to wait until you get back before you bottle it (although 10 days *should* be enough.)

Oh, and what Rocker ^^ said - 24 hours.. that's not really that long.
That was my thought as well. The stick on thermometer said it was bang in range, but I don't trust it 100%. Need to buy myself a proper thermometer at some point.
I took it out of the bath and left it on my laundry bench overnight and there were a couple of bubbles in there while I was having breakfast and there were some signs of a krausen forming so hopefully this will kick off today and I can bottle before I go away. I'm out of the country for 3 weeks so I want it bottled before I head off.

Thanks for your feedback everyone, still pretty new to this...

Chap said:
I have a regular lag time of 24-36hrs before I see something happen.
Thanks for that, useful info. Probably due to me taking a bit more care with my pitching/fermenting temperatures and going too far the other way...

pnorkle said:
Soooo.... when are you getting a fermentation fridge :D
Thats probably down the list. Next will be a kegerator and getting into that, then a GF or similar and a fermentation fridge.
This is still a fairly new hobby and as you can tell, I'm still feeling things out...

Mine are usually around the 20 hour mark before any obvious signs appear, but I have had lagers take over 40 hours to show visible signs, and the beers have all been fine.

I recently started injecting pure oxygen into my worts at pitching time, before this I'd have lag times about 8-12 hours for ales. They take a bit longer using up the added oxygen I think.

Rorschach said:
Thats probably down the list. Next will be a kegerator and getting into that, then a GF or similar and a fermentation fridge.
This is still a fairly new hobby and as you can tell, I'm still feeling things out...
I'd have the fridge before the kegerator on your list.. no good putting beer in it 'not at it's best'

Chilling with ice for a day or two should delay the start but won't kill the yeast. Hold the brew within the yeast's recommended range. It will start. The risk of spoilage is slight if your sanitation is good.

Yob said:
I'd have the fridge before the kegerator on your list.. no good putting beer in it 'not at it's best'
GalBrew said:
Agreed. Fermentation fridge should be your next purchase.
Goddamit now I need to find a place to put a fridge. Had only just managed to wangle some room for a kegerator outside!

Latest posts

Back