Help Smelly Fermentor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moleman_85

Reaction score
Hey guys yesterday I made my 2nd ever brew but have noticed by this morning the airlock is giving off that sulfur smell. My question is will this 22L of wort be ok and will there be any strange tastes?
I pitched the yeast at 26 degrees. Could this smell be the hops? as ive never used them before.
These are the ingredients I used.

Blue mountain Lager 1.7kg

ultra brew booster 1kg

halertau hops 12g

Saflager s23 yeast

Fermenter was at 26 degrees, a bit warm i know. Could the temp have caused it?
And all equipment was sanitized properly.

Mate, you must get that temperature down as quick as possible.
Place the fermenter in your bath tub in fill it with cold water.
The recommended optimum fermenting temperature for that particular yeast is 12 degrees.
Once you get the temp down you will have to place the fermenter in the coolest part of you house and keep wet towels on it.

Good luck!

Regards,
Lindsay.

Should have read your post a little slower.
Yes, that temperature with that yeast WILL give you strong sulfer odours.
Dont' take any notice of what is said on any kits regarding temperature. Basically, most ales are okay at about 18 - 20 degrees and most lagers yeasts operate in the very low teens. Some wheat yeast like about 22 degrees and that's about it.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Thanks mate took your advice and put the fermenter in the bathtub. It worked and the temp. is now around 17 degrees. Will the smell go away soon or will it take a while? cause the house smells like shit at the moment.

Wrap it up with wet towels and put some ice on the top of the fermenter....just keep it cold and cross your fingers. Freeze some water in PET bottles and stack them around the fermenter. That will keep you busy for a while. Like feeding a kid every four hours!!
The smell should disappear with age.
As you only made the brew yesterday, there will still be a fair amount of fermentable still to be consumed by the yeast so just keep the fermenter as cool as possible.

Regards,
Lindsay.

Edit...bottles not bottle

Its normal for a lager to have a sulphur smell, whatever the temperature, so I wouldn't worry about that - it will go away in a week, and there will be nothing in the flavour of your beer.

The temperature will cause other issues, such as ester flavours in your beer - which you are not supposed to have in a lager.

That happened to me when I did my first lager. Pitched and fermented too high. It smelt like one continuous fart bubbling through the fermenter. And yes the taste was in the bottle too upon drinking. Shit stuff. From now on I do lagers only in the fridge at 12C and the aroma is quite fresh and pleasant. Brewing lagers without a cooling unit is a right pain in the date.

Hey guys, i am doing a mex cerveza, my fridge my kitchen my house also smells like Rotarua NZ, home of the sulfer pools, will this smell which has been around for a week, affect the taste i have taken a gravity test and the brew smelt like farts still, how can i make sure this is not going to affect the taste of the beer,

thanks sorry if its a stupid question guys,

Patrick

It will dissipate. once you've finished fermenting raise the temp back to about 18deg for two days (assumeing you've been fermenting around 10-14deg) to perform a diacetyl rest. This will allow the yeast to clean up after its self. After that proceed as normal (cold condition or bottle or keg).

:icon_cheers: SJ

It will dissipate. once you've finished fermenting raise the temp back to about 18deg for two days (assumeing you've been fermenting around 10-14deg) to perform a diacetyl rest. This will allow the yeast to clean up after its self. After that proceed as normal (cold condition or bottle or keg).

:icon_cheers: SJ

+1 SJ
Tiss true it will disappear leaving with a lovely beer.

Supra once i have let it get up to 18deg and left it for 2 days, i will bottle it can i chuck it back into the fridge to stand for 2 weeks or not bother about it and let it sit a 18deg,

Cheers Supra, Chappo as always your help is appreicated,

Patrick

Supra once i have let it get up to 18deg and left it for 2 days, i will bottle it can i chuck it back into the fridge to stand for 2 weeks or not bother about it and let it sit a 18deg,

Cheers Supra, Chappo as always your help is appreicated,

Patrick

Paddy, if you have a second fermentor, after your diaceytal rest (18 degree temp raise), transfer (rack) it into the second fermentor (use some tubing to transfer without makign it splash) and then put it into the fridge for 2-4 weeks at around 2-4 degrees to lager it (cold store). This will drop further yeast out and will allow the beer to condition more and continue to clean up after itself. Then bottle or keg as normal, give it a couple of weeks to carb up and you will be golden.

If you don't have a second fermentor - go buy one, or just bottle and go with it :D

Cheers,

Brendo

Hey thanks Brend, cheers mate you just explained the very thing i was going to ask, Legend, thanks again guys for all your help, hopefully i will be more relaxed about the brew lol,
Patrick

Lager yeasts usually produce a lot of sulphur. I pitched a lager yeast s-23 a couple of days ago and when I walked into the garage this morning I took a deep breath and said: aahhh Laaaaaggger :lol:

Lager yeasts usually produce a lot of sulphur. I pitched a lager yeast s-23 a couple of days ago and when I walked into the garage this morning I took a deep breath and said: aahhh Laaaaaggger :lol:

Wyeast Munich Lager is stinky too! Open my keg fridge and SWMBO'd thinks i let one go!

Sometimes BribieG you worry me, yeah? I hate the sulphur lager stench :icon_vomit: I love the end result though :wub:

I should have said "Aahhhhh soon to be lager, how we suffer for our art " ;)

Hey Guys, hope your all well, I have done what was told to me, i have another layer of crusty stuffs on the bottom of the secondary fermenter now, not sure if this is what should happen, will this affect the brew in tastes?, can i change fermenters over again to try and filter somehow after the secondary fermentation, i want a desent brew this time, After my first attemp at brewing i thought i was drinking a cocktail of diesel and yeast mixed with ratsac, was and still is the most shittest tasting thing on the planet, i had big dreams about that one but didnt eventuate, i will use the mix as a weed killer,

So i am abit worried about this brew (not stuffing it up again)

cheers mates

Hey Guys, hope your all well, I have done what was told to me, i have another layer of crusty stuffs on the bottom of the secondary fermenter now, not sure if this is what should happen, will this affect the brew in tastes?, can i change fermenters over again to try and filter somehow after the secondary fermentation, i want a desent brew this time, After my first attemp at brewing i thought i was drinking a cocktail of diesel and yeast mixed with ratsac, was and still is the most shittest tasting thing on the planet, i had big dreams about that one but didnt eventuate, i will use the mix as a weed killer,

So i am abit worried about this brew (not stuffing it up again)

cheers mates

Hey Paddy,

You will get more yeast drop out once you go to secondary - this is prefectly natural. The main thing is you have gotten it off the large pile of yeast, so this will help avoid off flavours.

If you are lagering your secondary for a few weeks as we suggested, just let it go mate - more yeast will continue to drop out of suspension over this period, leaving your beer pretty darn clear.

Have you tasted a sample recently? This will give you a pretty good inidication of how it is going.

Cheers,

Brendo

Paddy,

As Brendo mentioned above, all sounds good. No need to move to another fermenter. However if you bottling your brew you can always look at bulk priming (do a search on this). This way you can rack your beer into a clean fermenter, (with sugar solution for priming) and while bottling you won't run the rick of disturbing the yeast cake on the bottom of the fermenter. End result, nice clear beer!

Cheers SJ

Latest posts

Back