Help - Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Avit

Reaction score
Hi all

im only new to the website and found it great reading so far.

i want to attempt a beer similar in taste to little creatures rogers but have no idea where to start. help on some basic recipes would be great.

im only a novice so go easy!!

cheers

aaaavvvviiiittt

Hi all

i want to attempt a beer similar in taste to little creatures rogers but have no idea where to start. help on some basic recipes would be great.

cheers

aaaavvvviiiittt

Nothing specific but a few pointers. Try a standard australian lager kit, Morgans Blue Mountain I believe is very popular, and don't put in much extra - not the whole kilo that Kit and kilo implies...

Check out the little creatures website to see if they mention what hops are used in rogers. Or search for info about that.

Hi all

cheers

aaaavvvviiiittt

There's a simple recipe here

I've tried that recipe from Malthouse, to my mind it didn't turn out much like Rogers. Still a nice beer though.

thanks guys

i will have a crack at the malthouse recipe and see how i go.

cheers

avit

:beer:

I've tried that recipe from Malthouse, to my mind it didn't turn out much like Rogers. Still a nice beer though.

Well I don't think any of those "a kit tin and a malt tin and some finishing hops" end up like
anything commercial. Which is why the lot I'm about to bottle (if I can tear myself away from
the keyboard) is my last! Although it has been very educational to add some finishing hops
to kit brews and see the results. Then you think "hey! if that's so good, what if I add lots of
hops and leave out the kit altogethor???"

According to rate beer rogers has similar
hop character to little creature PA but not so assertive.
LCPA is a copy (inspired by) SNPA so perhaps this recipe could be adapted.

How about if you halved the crystal malt.
And halved the flavour and aroma hops and left out the dry hopping?

So it would end up ....

* 3kg Light Malt Extract (2 cans)
* 250g Crystal Malt (40-60L)
* 28g Perle Hops (60 min boil)
* 14g Cascade Hops (15 min)
* 20g Cascade Hops (5 min)
* Wyeast American Ale Yeast 1056 of SAF US56
* 3/4 cup priming sugar (or 1/2 tsp per stubbie).

19 litres

What do you think? I think it would be nice even if it didn't taste exactly like roger's beer.

-braufrau

According to rate beer rogers has similar
hop character to little creature PA but not so assertive.

LOL every friggin Little Creatures beer has the same "hop character".
A night of beers at that 'micro' is about as exciting for the palate as a night of water. It really gets to you after a couple. (Well to me and Aspro anyway :) )

Thanks for the help guys

I have finally got around getting to my local homebrew shop and have decided to try braufrau's receipe suggestion:

* 3kg Light Malt Extract (2 cans)
* 250g Crystal Malt (40-60L)
* 28g Perle Hops (60 min boil)
* 14g Cascade Hops (15 min)
* 20g Cascade Hops (5 min)
* Wyeast American Ale Yeast 1056 of SAF US56
* 3/4 cup priming sugar (or 1/2 tsp per stubbie).

19 litres

just a few quick questions.

1. The guy at the homebrew shop mentioned i should boil the hops and chrystal malt seperatly. How much water should i use to boil the Hops in and the Crystal Malt?

2. Do i need to boil the malt extract (the homebrew guy said i didn't need to but i remember reading somewhere you should) what do i do?

3. Stupid question im sure, but ive only ever done Kit & Kilo. does the above receipe include enough fermentables (eg the 'sugar' in the k+k). is this all i have to include?? :unsure:

thanks again

i cant wait to get this brew going on sunday

Hey Avit,

To answer your questions as best I can...

1. The guy at the homebrew shop mentioned i should boil the hops and chrystal malt seperatly. How much water should i use to boil the Hops in and the Crystal Malt?
The best thing to do would be to steep the crystal in hot water (around 70*C) for 30 minutes, then remove it and bring the resulting liquid to the boil before adding the malt/hops etc. I used to buy a pair of stockings (for brewing purposes only of course! :rolleyes: ), cut off a leg and pour the grains into it, tying off the end. This would make a long 'sausage shaped' grain sock which I would steep for 30 mins on the pot - just makes it easier to get the grains out at the end. Remove them BEFORE you bring the liquid to the boil, otherwise you extract harsh tannins from the grain which will make the beer taste fairly average...

2. Do i need to boil the malt extract (the homebrew guy said i didn't need to but i remember reading somewhere you should) what do i do?
Yes, boil the malt extract. To extract the hops bitterness, it needs to be boiled along with the extract. You don't need to boil ALL the extract, but you may as well.

3. Stupid question im sure, but ive only ever done Kit & Kilo. does the above receipe include enough fermentables (eg the 'sugar' in the k+k). is this all i have to include?? :unsure:
Yep, the recipe will have plenty of fermentables. Maltose (the dried malt extract) is a sugar and you have 3kg of it! Plus the maltose from the crystal...

Hi Avit,

do what Kaiser said.
You need to boil the malt and hops in 6-9l of water. Hope you have a big pot! Otherwise I guess
you can boil just one can in 3-5l. Check out How to Brew for some more info on extract brewing.

Don't forget this is only a 19l recipe!

Good luck!

-braufrau

BUMP

Just an update on how my brew has turned out.....thanks to braufrau and Kaiser Soze for their help.

I did my first extract / boil etc a month or two ago...

the day went well with little or no problems (other than my gfriend and family getting in the way!! oh well)

I used a Le Creuset pot in the oven to steep the chrysle grain at about 70 degrees for 30mins. it seem to work well with some beautiful sweet liquid resulting. this was all chucked in with one can of light malt extract and boiled with the hops for 60mins. those hop pellets (bloody strong but strangly addictive - and now i appreciate what it brings to the final product)

The_Boil.jpg
i was amazed at how much liquid was lost in the boil

The_Girl.jpg
the gfriend managed to get in they way (as they do) - not to happy to be a my parents place for so long..chin up!!

i was really confident of the results after the chill and having a taste..

now im sitting here reaping the rewards of my first step to ag brewing (i feel sooo much closer now). it tastes so much better than my first two brews!!!

anyway, here is a pic of my beer (its my second glass so its got alot of the sediment from the bottle and doesn't look great - but who cares when it tastes great)

The_Beer.jpg

thanks guys

i will have a crack at the malthouse recipe and see how i go.

cheers

avit
:beer:

Mick or his daughter? :blink:

InCider

(apologies in advance)

Glad to see your a Swans man. :D

Great looking beer Avit - just send one to Me, care of..

micks daughter...mmmm :D

the shotgun will be coming out after he kicks his 8th against leo barry in the prelim :unsure:

hi...just bottled a LCPA on friday night...(i hear the rogers is just a lighter version ...is this true ?)anyway heres the recipe i used ...bugger me if the fermenter didn't smell great after i was finished bottling...somehow it smelt like passionfruit...
recipe as follows
BREW No: 8
BEER TYPE: Coopers Pale Ale /LCPA
Date/Time/Temperature: 10/03/07 8.00 MILD
METHOD: Kit and kilo
INGREDIENTS: Tin: Coopers Pale Ale (1.7kg)
Sugars: 450g Light Dried Malt*, 600g dextrose,
250g corn syrup.
Hops: CASCADE HOPS 14G @10 mins
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @10 mins
CASCADE HOPS 14G @ FLAME OUT
AMARILLO HOPS 10G @ FLAME OUT

SPECIALTY GRAINS.STEEPED FOR 25 MINS CRYSTAL MALT 250G +CARAPILS 100G (FOR HEAD RETENTION )

Yeast: safale US 56 yeast 11.5g (18/c)#

cheers simpletotoro

now im sitting here reaping the rewards of my first step to ag brewing (i feel sooo much closer now). it tastes so much better than my first two brews!!!

That's great Avit! I'm so glad it turned out well.

-braufrau

Latest posts

Back