Help Me Refine My Procedure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta agree with Borret and Barls
Havent tried the water in Taree per se, but living in forster, I am pretty sure that the water comes from the same mudpit. It is so close to undrinkable, I have drunk tap water in thrid world countries that taste better, and when I rinse out my fermenter, it looks like there is still some beer in there it is that yellow (only in the tap that isnt used every day). I have one of those undersink double ceramic filter thingies, they recommend it is cleaned every 2 - 3 months, we get 2 weeks out of it, one if I am brewing. Newcastle water tastes like store bought stuff after living up here! The ocean and lakes are clear as anywhere up here, so I am buggered if I know why the water tastes so bad.
Back on thread, it sounds like you have everything pretty well pinned. What sort of yeast comes with the ESB kits? I havent tried one, but maybe you should also look into trying liquid yeast, IMO it is a big step forward in beer quality. And do you rack, or just bottle straight from the primary?
All the best
Trent

Trent said:
Back on thread, it sounds like you have everything pretty well pinned. What sort of yeast comes with the ESB kits? I havent tried one, but maybe you should also look into trying liquid yeast, IMO it is a big step forward in beer quality. And do you rack, or just bottle straight from the primary?
All the best
Trent
[post="93894"][/post]​

Yep the ESB kits come with saf dried yeast, and I will be looking into liquid yeast in the near future. Perhaps when I am familiar enough with the taste of my beer to notice the difference.

As for racking, I keg and atm I tend to rack from the primary into a keg after 7 days. The beer sits at 20c in the kegs for 2 to 4 weeks depending on fridge room. I then put the keg in the fridge for 2 days to clear and force carbonate, then serve.

MHB said:
Re Point 8
Tap water is aerated by the supplier, you dont have to bother trying to aerate it further.
I think just get it in and get the lid on ASAP, avoids increasing the risk of infection.

Good Brewing
MHB
[post="93873"][/post]​

Interesting point, Cheers for the info MHB :beerbang:

g'day all,

here's a tip to get filtered water cheap, I can't take credit for it though.

you need a 10lt bucket, (cheap as), Brita Filter Cartridge, ($10).

Grab your Drill and Hole Saw, make a hole slightly smaller than diameter of the cartridge, shove the filter in and away you go.

I filter mine straight into 20lt food grade jerries and into the fridge.

cheers
yardglass

ok. I keep seeing this tip floating around the internet. So I used to sell water filtration products. Try this. Add some food dye to your water and run that through your brita bucket filter. You should notice that the filtered water will be extactly the same color as the unfiltered water. Now.. It is the case the food dye particles are very very small. However I would strongly recommend the use of a solid block carbon filter (you will need pressure to get the water through this, and there are ways to rig this with a bike pump). rather than the activated carbon filter of the brita filter. But if you find your bucket filters are providing great beer, well then I guess its good enough..

ok. I keep seeing this tip floating around the internet. So I used to sell water filtration products. Try this. Add some food dye to your water and run that through your brita bucket filter. You should notice that the filtered water will be extactly the same color as the unfiltered water. Now.. It is the case the food dye particles are very very small. However I would strongly recommend the use of a solid block carbon filter (you will need pressure to get the water through this, and there are ways to rig this with a bike pump). rather than the activated carbon filter of the brita filter. But if you find your bucket filters are providing great beer, well then I guess its good enough..
OK, would you mind elaborating a bit on this. Are you saying that the Brita filters are crap or what, because the way I see it is that the water would look the same colour. A liquid is a liquid. If you used to sell the things then maybe you could advise people on what is the best setup if we want to filter our water. I know I want to as my pipes are crap and I am looking at getting a caravan filter instead of a full blown house system.
That last sentence is just one that is all smugness, as the taste of beer is best left to the individual.

I rehydrate dry yeast in 10 times its weight of pre-boiled water. 10 times is what Fermentis recommend, I'm sure there was a reason for that but I canna remembr. :)

Latest posts

Back