Help! Freezer Lid Is Too Thick!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RetsamHsam

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just getting ready to mount my font to the freezer and the lid is too thick, ie. If I put the font through the hole no thread will stick out the bottom to secure the font to the freezer..

Anyone got any suggestions??

got a pic/s?

measure twice, cut once probably doesnt help you at this stage.....

if your at all handy with a welder, you could 'tack' on some extra thread and use the extra length to secure it.

Ret,
Can you take a photo? Be easier to see what your on about?

Chappo

Edit: We're all over ya Ret like flies on a fresh shi7

Hi All,

Just getting ready to mount my font to the freezer and the lid is too thick, ie. If I put the font through the hole no thread will stick out the bottom to secure the font to the freezer..

Pic would help. Might be able to offer a solution better.

Cheers

NOT FAST ENOUGH

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Unfortunately the wife has taken the camera with her today..

If it helps, the length of the thread on the bottom of the font is 6cm and the thickness of the freezer lid is 7.5cm.

Edit: I've not touched a welder in my life

Spewin....

What about a matching threaded pipe [Internal thread] that you could screw on to get the extra depth without adding to much width.... And add some sort of flange on the pipe pipe to grip the bottom of the lid?

Something like this with a matching thread inside:

View attachment 31391

IIRC it's possible to make a wider hole in the inner surface, big enough for the nut (or whatever you're screwing onto the thread) through, clear the insulation away, and secure a font to just the top surface. If you are going to do this though, I'd recommend adding a bit of wood or something between either the nut and the inside surface, or the font and the outside surface, just to strengthen things up so you aren't putting all the force on the single surface.

Does that make sense?

since no welding skills

well you could attach 'L' brackets to it. or at least one behind the font. you could also then strengthen with some industrial superglue or gap filler (fill from underside). but that then makes it a bit hard to get the font out if you ever need to. not impossible, but hard.

really really bad MS paint pic attached

bracket.JPG

re internal thread suggestion...i dont think fonts have an internal thread. but maybe you could find another peice of pipe with matching thread thats not much wider than the font. drill a slightly larger hold then gap fill/use silicone.

Depending on what the under surface of the lid is composed of, any possibility as a last resort of using a hole saw and drilling / digging out a 'well' ? Maybe reinforce with some metal plate (blue).

sink_hole.JPG

Sounds like you may have to drill from the underneath but this time don't go all the way through if you know what I mean, and drill at a larger diameter. That way it's sort of countersunk. May need some reinforcing doing it this way though.

EDIT: beaten :blink:

What I was getting at is exactly what Bribie said.

The blue metal would act like a big washer.

Hi All,

Hey Ret

I had the same problem. I took my font down to the local fittings shop. I picked up a length of the threaded pipe with the same OD and then a collar with the same ID thread. I used a hack saw to adjust the threaded pipe to the right size and screwed them together. Very simply.

Here's my dodgy drawing...

Font_Fix.JPG

Depending on what the under surface of the lid is composed of, any possibility as a last resort of using a hole saw and drilling / digging out a 'well' ? Maybe reinforce with some metal plate (blue).

View attachment 31393

+1 for this one, or Dicko's suggestion.

Had a similar issue with my tap & fridge connection.

Make sure your solution provides some a stiff connection to the outer skin of the Freezer Lid. You dont want it wobbling around when you pour a pint.

Spewin....

What about a matching threaded pipe [Internal thread] that you could screw on to get the extra depth without adding to much width.... And add some sort of flange on the pipe pipe to grip the bottom of the lid?

Something like this with a matching thread inside:

View attachment 31391

Hey Ret

I had the same problem. I took my font down to the local fittings shop. I picked up a length of the threaded pipe with the same OD and then a collar with the same ID thread. I used a hack saw to adjust the threaded pipe to the right size and screwed them together. Very simply.

Here's my dodgy drawing...

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, my first instinct was to drill the bottom out. Although I was abit worried that the insulation might allow alittle movement as the font is pretty damn heavy.

I will probably go with one of the above two suggestions. Thanks again to everyone.

I cut out the hole in my fridge top enough to take the nut as well, and my font was bolted to the drip tray, which was fairly thick gauge stainless with about an inch of hard black resiny stuff filling out the font part.

Latest posts

Back