Help For First Time Kegging...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bevdawg

Reaction score
Hi all.

So I finally got myself a keg set up, and of course having a few issues!

I can't seem to find the info I need so figure I'll just ask.

I sanitized my keg, and set up, filled the first keg with a dark IPA.
Chilled overnight to around 4-5c.
Connected everything up and force carbed using the upside down method as listed on the Keg King site. So I had the gas connected to the gas IN, turned upside down, put the regulator onto 300kpa and rocked the keg for around 60-70 seconds. Turned off the gas bottle and kept rocking until the pressure dropped. It dropped to around 90kpa, so as per instructions turned regulator back to 300kpa, rocked the keg for about 20 seconds, turned bottle off and then kept aggitating the keg until the pressure dropped. It finished around 160kpa so I let it be. Connected the tap (a pro long shank SS tap, but its just free standing in the fridge at the mo (big old fridge) until I drill a hole etc.

Turned the reg down to 100kpa. Now I've been drinking it, but the problem is all the head/foam. It was really foaming yesterday like 70% head 30% beer, head drops pretty quick. Beers itself is not super carbed, and goes flat the last 20% of the pint glass.

I read some info online, so I bleed the keg of all gas with the regulator off, shook it around, vented the gas again. Did 3 times, then put the gas onto 50kpa overnight.

This arvo put the regulator onto 100kpa and still the same foam, give or take.

Can anyone help me out? I really wanna know what to do, or what kpa I should have the reg on etc. My gas line is 1.5m long, and so is the beer line. Both the stuff that came with the kegs (6mm BARFEL).

Help appreciated!

you have overcarbed...

disconnect the gas, shake it, release pressure. Test.

Repeat until you get a perfect beer.

You have 2 issues I see:

1/ you have over carbed the keg. Force carbing the way you have shouldn't really need more than the first 60 (or so) seconds.
Burp the keg, give it a little shake and wait a few minutes then repeat until pressure is down to around 60-70kpa.

2/ I would say your beer lines are too short. I would start lines at around 3 meters then cut back from there. Mine are 5mm ID and are just over 2.5 meters.

Edit... too slow!!

Thanks for the help. I'll buy some more beer line tomorrow, hope that helps.

So with regards to the regulator pressure, what kpa should I have it set on now? I've just done the shake and burp a few times, with the gas off, and the last time hardly released any gas, so figure it's low now. So just wondering what kpa to put it back to now?

Start at say 60 and if it is pouring too slow but giving a decent beer, slowly increase it a 10kpa at a time until you get what you want. However, you probably should sort your lines out first..... so you could just leave it now at 60-80 and it should find an equilibrium.

Thanks for the help. I'll buy some more beer line tomorrow, hope that helps.

So with regards to the regulator pressure, what kpa should I have it set on now? I've just done the shake and burp a few times, with the gas off, and the last time hardly released any gas, so figure it's low now. So just wondering what kpa to put it back to now?

100kpa is pretty standard for most people but will probably pour too fast with your current beer line, i would just put the pressure at whatever gives you a decent pour.

Next time if you arent in a hurry to drink it you can just leave it at 100kpa for a bout a week or so, that way you dont have to worry about over carbonation.

Thanks again all. So just grabbed a 5m roll of Boston Reinforced Pressure Hose from bunnings. 6mm, says no toxic and suitable for 'water'. I've seen pics of peoples keg set ups with similar hose, so hoping it's fine?

I used the crozdog balancing table which says i need 4.3m at 'standard pressure 6.89kpa' or 3.87 at 'calculated length 13.87kpa'. This bit is a little confusing. Should I just guestimate and use 4m?

That's just what it says in relation to the lines, not the serving pressure (for 2.5 it says 81.8kpa)... Roughly how long should my 6mm lines be?

OK big thanks all! I chucked on 4.3m of the 6mm line, set the pressure to around 80kpa (kinda hard to be precise with the regulators hey?), poured one frothy beer, adjusted the flow control on the tap, then the next came out perfect! Enjoying now. Appreciate the help...

wow 4.3m id be lucky if mine are 2m lol but they 5mm I think

OK big thanks all! I chucked on 4.3m of the 6mm line, set the pressure to around 80kpa (kinda hard to be precise with the regulators hey?), poured one frothy beer, adjusted the flow control on the tap, then the next came out perfect! Enjoying now. Appreciate the help...

Well done mate. A very rewarding fix!

I just left the 4.3m in a big coil to save space... I'll look into shortening it when I put the tap on the fridge :)

Latest posts

Back