Help...biab+first Wort Hopping+no Chill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakethesnake559

Reaction score
G'day fellow brewers,
I've brewed the same APA a couple of times now...

Grains
4280g Maris Otter
950g Light Munich
285g Carapils
95g Wheat

Hops
Chinook (11.8%AA) 20g/40min
Cascasde (6.2%AA) 20g/10min
Citra (13.9%AA) 20g/0min (dry hop in cube)

Brew length=20L, OG=1.054
BIAB+no-chill (that's why my hop schedule might seem a bit funny)

I love the hop flavour I get, but want to smooth out the bitterness a bit.
Was thinking of adding the FWH after I pull the bag, but which hops (citra??), and how much?
And what's effect is no-chill going to have on the FWH process?

Would love to get some opinions/advice on this.

Cheers!!!

Jake.

I've only used chinook a few times, but i've heard its not great for bittering, maybe this is what is giving you this harshness? I wouldn't imagine a fwh would be significantly more bitter than a 60min addition.

G'day fellow brewers,

Grains
4280g Maris Otter
950g Light Munich
285g Carapils
95g Wheat

Hops

Was thinking of adding the FWH after I pull the bag, but which hops (citra??), and how much?

Cheers!!!

Jake.

G'day fellow brewers,

Grains
4280g Maris Otter
950g Light Munich
285g Carapils
95g Wheat

Hops

Cheers!!!

Jake.
Maybe have a look at Brewsmith and brewmate ..both are great programs for working out IBU ( bittering) with BIAB and no-chill

FWH will make the perceived bitterness smoother which is what you're after. In terms of no chill you dont have to worry about the added bitterness because it will be fairly insignifigant, somewhere in the ball park of o.1 to 2 ibu's of your recipe. So bugger all.

Soon as you raise the bag just throw them in.
I plugged your recipe into beersmith and adjusted the FWH of chinook and made it 17g for almost the same bitterness as your recipe. This is based on adding the 10 min addition at 10 mins and dry hopping the fermenter.

Do you add your 10min addition at 10 mins or flameout or whirlpool?
The dry hop in cube part, is that draining the kettle into the cube and adding hops straight away? If so then citra being high AA and wort above 85 will increase the bitterness further. Im not sure if this would be maybe adding the harshness but you'd also be getting alot of flavour.

Thanks for the tips...

MB - My 0 min addition is in the cube and then I tap the hot wort in.
As you said, maybe that's the extra hoppyness I'm tasting.

I was confused about which hops to use as the FWH, so you answered my question there.
Next time I will try Chinook FWH straight after I pull the bag, and use the Citra as a dry hop into the fermenter.

Cheers...must be off...got a beer SpecTAPular to attend :beerbang:

FWH and BIAB are a marriage made in heaven, I always pop in the first addition (if they are pellets) immediately on raising the bag.
Flowers I wait until the drain is complete, bag removed, and I can fit my hop swimming pool for them. B)

FWH - I've found to provide a less harsh bitterness. It is only anecdotal, in my case, I'm not Dr S, Dr K or CM2, with full scientific knowledge, but I'm finding it provides a nice frontal bitterness, but smooth.

I had europils drinkers gushing over an AIPA.

Goomba

I'm unconvinced that FWH makes any difference to the quality of the bitterness at all, other are I know, but not me.

IMO - what the problem is more likely to be, is simply that the beer is over bitter. High percentage AA hops like your flavour and aroma additions, are going to add significant extra bittering to a no-chilled beer, especially the ones you put in the cube. My estimate is that your beer would be sitting at just around 50IBUs brewed no-chill with the hop additions you detail. Thats a hell of a lot of IBUs for a 1.054 beer. I would expect it to taste harsh.

So, by all means try FWH your bittering addition, who knows, it might taste smoother after all. But I suspect that what you probably really need to do, is just reduce the total quantity of IBUs in the beer so that its balanced.

whichever, hope it works out for you

TB

PS - I just noticed that you plan to dry hop the citra next time.... that'll take out a big chunk of your bitterness. It'll solve your problem, but you'll have no idea whether it was the FWH thing that did it. Do one or the other if you care about the "why" of it - do both if you dont really give a rats and just want a more drinkable beer. FWIW, I'm not a particular fan of dry hopped beers, dry hop aroma is very different to that of hops which have seen some boiing wort.

Latest posts

Back