Hello from Perth

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wilkensone

Reaction score
Hey folks, Merry Christmas!

Been lurking for a little while, really just starting out (no beer expert) but looking to start some AG in the future, currently fermenting a coopers lager as my first attempt.

Wilkens

Welcome Wilkens. Plenty of good articles here including Stovetop AG which is a great starting point with minimal cash outlay.

Hello from your future.
Lovely place is Perth WA
One warning mate! You have tapped into the universe's biggest knowledge base on ANYTHING to do with beer so be prepared to be overwhelmed ( or just how to brew great beer).
Just read the posts, ask questions and watch some You Tube vids. It's all easier than you think ( until you get into the really fanatical stage....you will).

Welcome mate.

Plenty of info here and plenty of Perth people about the place.

Give your location and set your line out to be invited to an AG brew day at someone's house.

Thanks guys, glad to know I am in the right place Glot! Lucky for me reading forums is an enjoyable task and educational ahah :p .
Just trying to get enough info in me before I contribute stuff that is answered in multiple other locations and clogging threads!
Hope everyone has a good new year and look forward to talk to some of you later on.

Wilkens

Welcome mate. As stated, more than enough info here to keep you going.
Are you north or south of the river?

Doubleplugga said:
Welcome mate. As stated, more than enough info here to keep you going.
Are you north or south of the river?
Actually bang in the middle right now, wondering where I should keep an ear out for meetups etc for those of us in Perth?
I'd be really keen to have a look at some members setups and meet the community.. and you know :chug:

G'day, mate!

I'm a noob as well and was lucky enough to be invited to someone's house for a brew day. There really is a great bunch of people on here. I'm now in the process of setting up a BIAB system capable of doing double batches so I can brew with a friend. I'm really not the person to ask for information, but if you ever want a fellow beginner to talk with then feel free to message me.

Hey mate, does sound lucky for you haha but thats great. I'm glad there is a community around, you know its no fun drinking alone =P Thanks for the offer I will probably take you up on it sometime, how is the system going so far?
Where are you roughly situated?

I will let you know how the system goes when I get back into town next week. It's just exciting knowing I've got everything ordered (except I still need to source the gas burner and a bench to put everything on) and that I will be brewing next time I'm home!

I live in Glendalough but will be brewing in Wattle Grove. As far as meeting other members of the community, you're in the right place for a starter here on AHB. But there is a home brew club that meets up once a month in Riverton. There's a meet up on the 13th of Jan which I'm hoping to make it along to. It will be my first, but also seems like a genuine group of people.

Okay sounds great, did you have a link for the meetup I could have a look over?

Look forward to hearing how your first brew goes!

http://www.westcoastbrewers.com/

How are you going with your coopers brew? Did you use all the ingredients from the kit or did you get some other ingredients? Where are you fermenting and are you doing anything to control/monitor temps?

Thanks for the link.

As it's my first attempt I just went straight from the kit guide. I honestly don't have too high hopes for the quality but ah well. Nothing to control the temp yet, have been investigating a fermentation fridge but nothing concrete.

What have your previous brews been like?

I only tried brewing once before. It was a kit similar to yours. I was in Broome and dealing with very warm ground water temps and very impatient. I also had no way to temp control fermentation. It wasn't good. I then tried a friends brew who also used a kit, but also used some better yeast and used a fermentation fridge and it was a very enjoyable beer.

After doing some research I discovered the BIAB technique and decided it didn't seem so scary or expensive to give it a try. So I'm diving right in. I've already got my fermentation fridge set up with a brew fermenting away that was made when a AHB member showed me through BIAB on his system. We no chilled into a cube which I took home.

Did you find the lack of temp control had a really bad effect on the beer? That is my biggest worry with the current beer.

Are you looking to bottle the beers you have atm? Also would be interested to know the fridge setup you decided on?

That and I pitched my yeast way too hot because of the high ground water temps, no way to chill and being impatient. Basically I didn't plan anything out and suffered because of it.

The most popular choice on setting up a fermenting fridge is by using the stc-1000 and a heating belt or pad. I bought a temp controller unit (a stc-1000 already wired up and ready to use, cost a bit more but made life very easy) and a heating pad from one of the local home brew shops. I luckily picked up the fridge for free from one of the west coast brewer members and so it only cost me $120 to set up. Everyone with more knowledge than me has either confirmed or stressed the importance of temp controlling fermentation, so I think it was money well spent. Just keep an eye out on the forums and gumtree for a free or cheap fridge.

Welcome, sounds like the Perth boys have you sorted.

Stovetop method is a great cheap way to get into AG, I'm using a 2 top stovetop method with ghetto lauter still and see no reason to get more bling.

Great beer is possible with reading AHB and getting stuck in.

Brew days are great to go to.

Latest posts

Back