Hefeweizen head retention

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Papa Lazarou

Reaction score
Hi all
I am after advice on my hefeweizen with poor head retention. The beer tastes perfect and pours a nice head but in a minute or so it is gone. Nice lacing on glass and good mouthfeel but it tastes its best with the head still on. I would like to have the beer maintain the head as long as possible.

Recipe:

2.5 kg JW export pilsner
2.5kg JW malted wheat
25g Cascade @ 60min
Mash 60min @ 66C
Made 22l
1l yeast starter from yeast harvested from Burleigh Brewing HEF

any tips would be appreciated.
Cheers. hefe.jpg

i'm no expert mate so forgive me if this is incorrect/grain of salt etc etc, but i believe for wheats, a protein rest 10-20 mins at about 50c) could assist. someone else more knowledgable i'm sure can confirm that or completely tell me otherwise

fletcher said:
i'm no expert mate so forgive me if this is incorrect/grain of salt etc etc, but i believe for wheats, a protein rest 10-20 mins at about 50c) could assist. someone else more knowledgable i'm sure can confirm that or completely tell me otherwise
The low temp rest is more for flavour characterisitcs for wheats - in particular the clove flavour, not assisting with head. A protein rest, if anything would be detrimental to head retention. Not sure what your problem with head retention could be. Possibly some detergent that you washed kegs, bottles or glasses??

I think these malts are well modified so a protein rest was not needed. I have tried washing glasses with hot water but didn't think of the keg. I clean them with sodium percarbonate, rinse and use hydrogen peroxide as no rinse before kegging. I also primed the keg with 100g of table sugar.
Thanks

JasonP said:
A protein rest, if anything would be detrimental to head retention.
That is flat out not true. There are MANY different proteins found in grain. Some are short chains, some medium and others long.
A protein rest breaks down long chains into short and medium chain proteins.
Long chain protein IS detrimental to head retention as well as clarity and flavour stability.

Not For Horses said:
That is flat out not true. There are MANY different proteins found in grain. Some are short chains, some medium and others long.
A protein rest breaks down long chains into short and medium chain proteins.
Long chain protein IS detrimental to head retention as well as clarity and flavour stability.
Yes I know that there are many proteins in grain, but tell me one that a being degraded at low temp mashing improves head retention...... none. So my statement stands. IF ANYTHING protein rest will be detrimental to head retention.

JasonP said:
So my statement stands.
As does mine.
LONG chain proteins are detrimental.
Short and medium chains are desirable.
A protein rest breaks long chains into short and medium chain proteins.
OP will just have to make his own mind up about what to believe.

Not For Horses said:
As does mine.
LONG chain proteins are detrimental.
Short and medium chains are desirable.
A protein rest breaks long chains into short and medium chain proteins.
OP will just have to make his own mind up about what to believe.
Not sure what your argument is here. I am saying a protein rest will be detrimental to head retention and not improve it as siuggested by someone in this thread. If you disagree then you do not know what you are talking about.

JasonP said:
I am saying a protein rest will be detrimental to head retention and not improve it
I know what you're saying I'm just not sure WHY you are saying it.
I'm offering advice loosely based on actual science.
As I said, OP will have to decide for himself.

Not For Horses said:
I know what you're saying I'm just not sure WHY you are saying it.
I'm offering advice loosely based on actual science.
As I said, OP will have to decide for himself.
Just copying and pasting from the link toper posted.......

Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer.

I have found that the strain of yeast can have a massive influence on head retention. For example Wy1010 can dry a beer out so much that it will behave like the one described above.

Well, I must apologise in part. I misread the original recipe thinking it was 50% wheat as opposed to wheat malt.
Having said that, malted wheat still contains quite a lot more protein than malted barley so a protein rest is not out of the question.

Not For Horses said:
Well, I must apologise in part. I misread the original recipe thinking it was 50% wheat as opposed to wheat malt.
Having said that, malted wheat still contains quite a lot more protein than malted barley so a protein rest is not out of the question.
I agree a protein rest is recommended with this recipe and so with all hefs. But the OP head retention problem is not because of the lack of protein rest.

I usually follow this schedule for my Hefe's and never have a problem with head retention:

Mash in (Thick) at 40o C Acid Rest for 15 Minutes
Transfer he remaining amount of water for the full mash volume to achieve Proteinase Rest @ 56o C & hold it there for 20 minutes ( Avoids the issues with loss of head retention if you stop short in the peptidase range of 45-53(dead set head killer))
Ramp up to 67o C for Saccharification
Usually Mash Out at 75oC

There's Protein rests and then there's protein rests. Not all Protein rests kill head.

I'd be looking at the glasses, kegs and lines......even look at what the keg lube is. One of our distant customers was using Vaseline on poppet valves, disconnects, tap seals and couldn't keep head on his beer for quids (drove us both nuts trying to work out what the issue was). A change to a sanitary keg lube solved that and likewise the Skerra Lube is also head safe.

Should explain, I do the Acid rest because our water is fairly soft and alkaline. I tend to not use any mineral additions in hefe's.

Martin

Edit note....fixed tired "brain fart" on numbers.

I was thinking the same as Martin. What is your glass washing process? Soap in your glass will kill head retention every time.

As long as the protein rest isn't too long, it will be fine for head formation and retention. Lots of people do a mid 50c protein rest for 5-10 mins with great results with regards to fluffy heads on beers. You can't just take one sentence in isolation as the word of jebus.

Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer.[/quot

Using this rest in a mash consisting mainly of fully modified malts would break up the proteins responsible for body and head retention and result in a thin, watery beer.

This is one sentence in isolation. This is also an old book. Since then, it has been found a short protein rest in the mid 50's can have a very good effect on head and retention. Also a short rest around 72 is another helpful mash schedule for good lacing.

HBHB said:
I usually follow this schedule for my Hefe's and never have a problem with head retention:

Mash in (Thick) at 40o C Acid Rest for 15 Minutes
Transfer he remaining amount of water for the full mash volume to achieve Proteinase Rest @ 56o C & hold it there for 20 minutes ( Avoids the issues with loss of head retention if you stop short in the peptidase range of 45-53(dead set head killer))
Ramp up to 67o C for Saccharification
Usually Mash Out at 75oC

There's Protein rests and then there's protein rests. Not all Protein rests kill head.

I'd be looking at the glasses, kegs and lines......even look at what the keg lube is. One of our distant customers was using Vaseline on poppet valves, disconnects, tap seals and couldn't keep head on his beer for quids (drove us both nuts trying to work out what the issue was). A change to a sanitary keg lube solved that and likewise the Skerra Lube is also head safe.

Should explain, I do the Acid rest because our water is fairly soft and alkaline. I tend to not use any mineral additions in hefe's.

Martin

Edit note....fixed tired "brain fart" on numbers.
Thanks for the advice

How do you step up the mash temps? I use a cooler to mash in so can't apply direct heat.
Would you keep adding more hot water or take out some and heat it separately?

Cheers

apologies for my misinformation and not considering the cleaning process of glasses/lines also. more information was probably needed before mentioning that rest. sorry OP. my bad.

Latest posts

Back