Hefe - Weisse Carbonation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wobbly

Reaction score
I am ready to bottle a hefe- weisse wheat beer and from waht I have read the recommended carbonatiuon levels are 3.4 to 4.5 vols. This equates to about 250/300g of sugar.

Will this level of carbonation be ok/safe in crown lager stubbies?

What level of carbonation do others target for bottle conditioning?

In what size batch, wobbly? I am reluctant to ever go above 7-8g/L sugar when priming.

Sorry I should have included that

Batch size is 26 litres and temperature at bulk priming will be 19/20C

At your suggestion of 8g/lt that would equate to about 2.8 vols. Is that correct?

Is this satisfactory for weissen?

In any event I guess I will be constrained by whats safe in the bottle!

Your further advise would be appreciated

Thanks

Wobbly

Yep wobbly, 2.8 vols sounds right to me for that priming rate. What's satisfactory for a wheat depends on your personal tastes I think. Personally I'm quite happy to have mine carbonated to more normal levels, though I do try to make them a tiny bit fizzier than my beers normally are.

2.5 to 3.0 vols CO2 sounds more reasonable to me. So your 2.8 should do well.

Berp.

Dr Weiz here,

I have bottled Weizenbier with up to 10g/ litre, but usually aim for 3.5 vol CO2.

I can also advise that most Crownies will handle this, but if U get an infection, say goodbye to your expensive bottles, coz they ain't very strong.

Unfortunately, Grolsch bottles are as weak as this, too. Recently found a Grolschie with the backside out of it, empty and still sitting upright, with the base still under it. Lucky it wasn't a wheat beer, or it would have been more than 2 pieces. (might have sorted out the possums in my beer cellar though).

Seth :p

Wobbly,

For what its worth - I use dextrose, bottle into the 500ml euro wheatbeer bottles (the thick ones, NOT schoefferhofer), and measure with those sugar measure gadgets.

Currently I find that 1 1/2 measures (1 big + 1 small) per 500ml bottle is just about spot on (its a tiny bit on the high side for me, say 5 - 10%), but pretty close to what I remember all those wheatbeers being like when I was over in Europe .

By my calc's 1 1/2 measures = 6.25g of dextrose per 500ml = 12.5g per L; and should equate to ~3.6 vol CO2.

I have have experimented down as low as 1 measure per bottle = 4.5g dext , or 9g p L; but found that to be too low.

At the other extreme I have gone up to 18g per litre (4.8 vol CO2) in those thick Euro "return" bottles, but found that to be well and truly overly fizzed.

Reference:
Theres a good article at http://www.brewrats.org/primer.html

Latest posts

Back