Heated Digital Stirplates

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've finished the test and there was too much information to post easily so I made a video instead (fast forward to about 1 minute to avoid a recap).

EDIT: URL fixed. Where would I be without your help guys!?!

idzy said:
Is there a waiting list for these? :D
There's no list per se as the product is still changing day by day! Queue that old tree swing comic showing what the customer expected and what the engineer designed. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Haha, love that one!

1447060090587.jpg

Michael Burton said:
I've finished the test and there was too much information to post easily so I made a video instead (fast forward to about 1 minute to avoid a recap).
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=m6S0OU38KqE

There's no list per se as the product is still changing day by day! Queue that old tree swing comic showing what the customer expected and what the engineer designed. :D
No video found mate

The link (i think) should be:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the catch guys, URL fixed.

Yob, you're better than spell check brother!

SBOB, thanks for the correct link!

Yep. Big ups on the gear + experiment + video.
I'm impressed you even went as far as the white long-sleeve t-shirt - the IT equivalent of a white lab coat, I assume. Makes it look even more legit. [emoji185][emoji41]

Now just a matter of nailing the final production details and getting that order list out there. And coming up with a cool name, of course...

... Ready in time for Xmas?? [emoji120][emoji120]

Michael, you can name it after me for a small % of your profits? :D

But on a more serious note, this is a seriously impressive looking design. Awesome work mate!

Great stuff Michael. Really love the work you and Brooke do!

I'd encourage you to keep the capacity for up to 30 degrees in the final go. Although 20-24C is usually recommended for starters, 28-30C is handy for forced ferment tests.

Not sure of cost. Probably rediculous but what about an IR temp sensor. Drill small hole through top of case and senses straight on the bottom of flask. Probably impossible but thought I would share anyway.

Thanks for the kind words of support guys. Sponge I'll get my agent to talk with your agent about royalties :) Seriously though, it does need a name, and I'm going to have to order new membranes anyway because all the temperatures are different when using an external probe so it's not too hard to change the name at this time. I was operating with the "Brewer's Stir Plate" series with a naming convention that would indicate its size and whether it has heating but if you have better ideas please let me know!

mattyl said:
Not sure of cost. Probably rediculous but what about an IR temp sensor. Drill small hole through top of case and senses straight on the bottom of flask. Probably impossible but thought I would share anyway.
Spot on! I bought a few IR thermopile sensors to test this idea and confirmed they are pretty easy to use electrically. The main thing holding me back was the mechanical side of things. The standard thermopile sensors have little windows on top that look like yeast/crud magnets and they also have special cleaning requirements that I felt would make them impractical. One spill and you're going to have yeast slurry building up in your IR sensor.

I confirmed that my PCB fab can cut a recess into the top PCB that I could mount a lens into and I would put the sensor safely behind that, but I was still concerned about how much it would add to the overall cost so I've put that idea on the back burner for now. I've really got to blog more about all these R&D experiments because it sounds like there are indeed people out there that would find them as fascinating as I do. :)

whatever its called, im pretty sure an 'Approved by Yob' sticker with a copy of his forum avatar image will increase sales 10x ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back