heat belt and temp control unit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You plug the stc-1000 into the wall, and both the heat belt and the fridge into the stc-1000. You have a heating and a cooling output on the stc-1000. One power input, two power outputs.

You set the thermostat to whatever temp you want. When the temp is too hot it turns on the cooling output (the fridge), when too cold it turns on the heating output (the heat belt).

Clear as mud? :)

As manticle said, you still need a working fridge, but you can pick up a 2nd hand one for bugger all. Most standard size fridges will fit a fermenter inside.

You can use a dead fridge as an insulation cabinet. however if going down this route, find a free one and use ice bricks for cooling. If spending money on a fridge, get a working one.

It seems he's going down the stc-1000 route, so a working fridge would definately be the way to go. :)

Yes, as I said previously.

Just delineating some of the various options available.

once again i love this forum. Ill find a working one now and get it all sorted. many thanks blokes.

I think my wife is starting to get jealous of all the time im spending with this homebrew stuff.

jaymzica said:
or do i need a working fridge that cools like normal?
If the fridge isn't working then the STC will still turn the heat belt on if the temperature drops too low, but if the temperature goes too high then obviously you'll be at the mercy of the ambient temps. The fridge should provide pretty good insulation, but having the cooling option is probably important and will be essential in summer too. Better off buying a working fridge off gumtree - if you're looking at a bar fridge you should get something for a similar price to your eBay link.

Definitely go with a working fridge and the above advice. Even in winter the cooling of the fridge will prevent overshoot caused by the heat belt and active fermentation. And you'll love being able to brew a lager in the middle of summer.

jaymzica said:
I think my wife is starting to get jealous of all the time im spending with this homebrew stuff.

Don't worry, most of them learn to adjust. Soon enough she'll just roll her eyes and say "not your bloody beer again." And don't keep track of any of your expenses. That way you can't reveal anything if interrogated under duress!

So the suggestion is a working fridge with a temp controller and then a heater belt? Belts are better than mats in most opinions?

I use a heat pad but just lean it against the back wall of the fridge or freezer. Seems to work well. Some use reptile heaters or similar. I think it's better to heat just the interior of the fridge without being in direct contact with the fermentor. I use an upright freezer with adjustable shelves which allows me to coldcrash to freezing temps and has no shelving inside the of the door. My 2c

Hi, I'm situated in Sydney and have a working fridge with temp control. I'm looking at putting down a batch (Lager) in the last week in May and I am worried the fermentation temp will drop to low. My fermentation fridge is outside. Would the heat belt and temp controler the OP posted a link to be my best bet? Or would the temps not drop to low in Sydney?

Looks like the temp controllers are sold out :'(

Hi Jay, I'm a novice brewer and am looking at heating options as winter sets in too. I saw the same belt and temp controller on ebay too but also found this which peaked my interest...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Thermostat-Heat-Mat-28x28cm-14W-reptile-brooder-incubator-pet-heating-pad-brew-/181062351493?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item2a28283a85

It's a heating pad with the same thermostat for $40 with free delivery. These thermostats seem like a good option to me since they don't require any wiring (I would probably electrocute myself otherwise), do both hot and cold and are affordable!

Personally; I'm moving house in a week and gaining a fridge in the move. I'm trying to get my sticky hands on it for brewing purpose which I hope will act as an insulator to help keep brewing temps constant during fermentation. I won't even have the fridge plugged in until it starts warming up again unless I want to give lagering a try.

Back