Heat belt failure at Kvieck brewing temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcgarryb

Reaction score
I have started brewing with Kvieck yeast at a fermentation temperature of 36 degrees celsius using a temperature controlled fridge and heat belt . I have gone through two heat belts in four brews. Is this temperature too high to be using a heat belt? Has anyone had this experience and if so what are you using to heat your brews when using Kvieck yeast? I would really appreciate some advice as I cannot keep buying heat belts at this rate.

not had any issues using my 25yo belt in a temp controlled fridge but maybe you should try a heat pad instead or one of those ceramic heat globes.

Mount one of these high up on the side of the fridge, 16.0US $ 36% OFF|1pcs Gdstime 120mm 12cm Blower Fan 5V 12V 24V 48V 110V 115V 220V 240V 120X120X32mm Ball Computer Radial Turbo Fan Cooling Fan|dc cooling fan|fan 24vcooling fan 24v - AliExpress Mount one of these a couple inches (5cm) below it so that the air blows through the grill, Incubator PTC Ceramic Air Heater Conditioning 500W 220V Insulated Electric Tools | eBay put fan on an on/off switch (I leave mine running) and switch the heater with your temp control solution (I use a stc1000) an inkbird controller might be easier for you. I too ferment at 35c when using kveik, no issues in 3yrs of use, yes a bit more expensive than a heat belt but it will last forever (almost) Don't be tempted to use an axial computer fan (trust me).

Been using my heat belt successfully. One third way up fermenter hardly needed to be used in the initial ferment as well insulated in the fridge and the yeast activity seems thermally positive.

Back