Head Trouble

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aquila

Reaction score
Hey,

Well this is now my 2nd post, and thankyou to all that replyed to my first.

Im having trouble with getting head to form/remain on my beer.

I have tryed cold/warm glasses, tried hand wased/dishwashed glasswear.

Have no idea whats going on but i only get about 3mm of head, and it dies in about 20 seconds.

I use the coopers brews, justt he stuff straight out of the can. and have been using the coopers brew enhancer 2. (according to the packet better head retention, HAHAHAHA)
I bottle into the PET bottles.

Any help would be great.

carapils. 200g in each batch and you'll be laughing. just crack the grain (or get the HB shop to do it for you) and steep for 30min in hot water in say 1L of water (not boiling water). after the 30min strain the grain out and boil the liquid for 10min to kill of any lurking nasties then add it to the rest of your as per normal. gives great results.

the only other issue is if your using soap wahsing liquid. beer head doesnt like soapy residue. besides so long as your beer tastes good thats the main point!

Age your beers too, especially kit beers. A two month old kit beer is going to have a better head than a two week old beer.

I find I get a good head from my kits with BE2 so theres nothing wrong with your ingredients for a good head.
As suggested maybe low carbination or bad/dirty glass.
How long have they been in the bottle?

I find with my HB if I pour it too gently it won't put out, but if I give it a bit of a splash or raise the distance from the bottle to the glass it heads up.

My pouring method: Tilt bottle so it doesn't glug and splash first 1/3 of beer into the cup, roll the cup over so the beer is falling down the side of the glass for the next 1/3rd, then raise the bottle and splash it in the corner of the head/glass to get the last bit out of it. Still dissipates relatively quickly though.

I use the Headmaster glasses from the HBS. Some say that I'm cheating though.

MD

Back