HEAD RETENTION OF GLASSES

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
shaunous said:
Your not trying to get people to fill there kitchen with little bubbles are you Stu???
No. Used to do it all the time. Also cleans out the dishwasher as well.

Note: I do not advocate cleaning parts in the dishwasher unless you are single or wish to become single. ......... But it does a greatjob

I rinse with hot water, hand wash with detergent paying attention to the lips, rinse in hot water and drip dry - never had a problem with head.

I do the same with my beer glasses - never had a problem with beer foam either

Most dishwashing tablets are a mix of alkaline and mineral salts, probably not a scrap of detergent to be found in them.

The dishy does mine with no problems. They sparkle, they hold a head.....how does the pub do 'em.....

Perhaps the GC vs BI problem is more to do with fridge temps then glass condition....just a thought. Colder beer, better head, which is why pub beer is so cold...presentation.

I thought that too, and for years washed religiously. Then, I read something about release agents in the detergent in dishwashing tablets etc, and tried it. **** me, straight from the dishwasher the lace is sweet as. No problems with residue whatsoever.

Don't they damage your glasses though?

I've always found, over time, glasses washed in a dishwasher develop lines and a hazy appearance.

Maybe it depends in eh dishwasher.

Spiesy said:

I've always found, over time, glasses washed in a dishwasher develop lines and a hazy appearance.

Your glasses need to be dishwasher safe. Ikea glasses for example aren't and get that hazy ring in the glass. I believe its a temperature related thing so you could try the glasses setting on the DW and do glasses separately?

Spiesy said:

No never had a problem mate, crystal clear.

We found that daughter was drinking milk in the glasses used for beer. We keep the beer glasses separate now. The milk really affected the beer even though we washed them thoroughly.

If you are drinking your beer in an air conditioned area then this can have an effect on head retention.
I know at home if I sit directly under an air con outlet with it running it can flatten a beer off more quickly than if I am away from the cold air.

Back