Hbs, Bottle Shops And Places For A Drink - Melbourne

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

enuun

Reaction score
Hi fellow brewers,

I am heading over to Melbourne for a my honeymoon and I am looking at going to a good HBS (if any) that is near to where I am, Sofitel Melbourne on Collins St. I am from Singapore and the local brew scene is not as spectacular as yours so looking at getting some good hops and stuff and checking out a good HBS. I know there's a G&G over at Yarra and a Brewcraft somewhere too.
Also looking at a few of the local places for some good Victorian brews. I am definitely going to visit Mrs Parma's, Beer deluxe, Transport, Bells and maybe Cookie if I can figure out the met system =) And good bottle shops near the hotel would be real helpful too. I would really love to go visit Purvis but again the unfamiliarity with the trams/train lines might discourage me. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys =)

http://www.metlinkmelbourne.com.au/

^ link to the melbourne metlink website, all timetables and a journey planner. Pretty easy to use if you know the start and end addresses. I'd put in Flinder Street station as your start point to go anywhere, thats the main train station in the CBD and quite close to you.

Ask your hotel for directions to the town hall, they have a good tourist info service and also keep maps, timetables etc from what I recall. G&G surely seems like the place to go around there. Have fun and congratulations.

Congrats. You couldn't choose a better place for a honeymoon (if you enjoy a beer).
Purvis have opened a new all beer bottle shop in Bridge Rd Richmond. Take the 48 or 75 tram from Flinders St past the Hilton Hotel. Purvis is across from the Richmond town hall. I think it's about 315 Bridge Rd. While in Richmond I would suggest the Mountain Goat Brewery, which is on North St, near the end of Bridge Rd. Open Wed and Fri from 5pm.
Just around the corner is The Royston Hotel, with plenty of good beers on tap, on River St.
If you have a chance get to the Local Tap House, which is at 184 Carlisle St, St Kilda East. Great selection of local and imported beers.
Happy dayshttp://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/style_emoticons/default/icon_drunk.gif

Don't forget Beiro at 555 lt lonsdale st. Get the city circle tram a block up from your room around and get off at the cnr of Latrobe and William st, only two minute walk from there.

Apart from Dan Murphy's in the QV complex that will have everything you need Vintage cellars in lt Bourke st between Russell and Swanston sts at the back of the Target center has a decent range of Aussie and imported beers. As far as bottle shops in town Dan's is hard to beat on price and range though.

Grain and grape would be the closet shop to you in the city and only a short train ride and easy walk. Google maps is your friend..:-D

Don't forget Bar Fred in North carlton (straight off the 96 tram from the city), World beer shop in Essendon (straight off the 59 tram from the city) and Harvest liquor on high street, Northcote (straight off the 86 tram from the city)

IMO the 2 best beer destinations in melb are the Local Taphouse in St Kilda (Right near balaclava station) and Slowbeer in Hawthorne (again, right near hawthorne station). The train system here is super easy to figure out, you can ask any staff member at a station if you get stuck with where to go.

The other places listed in this are great, but don't really represent the same range or value for money as those two.

In terms of actual breweries, the only one ive been to was mountain goat, and it was awesome.

Thank you guys =)
hope to be able to visit all these places!
I really look forward to visiting Melbourne again
I think the beers missed me haha

Second both The Local Taphouse & Slowbeer. My prefered bar & bottle shop respectivly. Both right near train stations or both have tram stops out the front. Grain & Grape is certainly the best homebrew shop in Melbourne or you could mail order some stuff from Craftbrewer & get it sent to the hotel, they have a bigger range of hops.

Hi fellow brewers,

I am heading over to Melbourne for a my honeymoon and I am looking at going to a good HBS (if any) that is near to where I am, Sofitel Melbourne on Collins St.

Thanks guys =)

A HBS on your honeymoon huh :eek: I have never heard of a pub crawl honeymoon as you are planning, sounds outrageous. How do you get away with it? Good luck and congratulations :blink:
G&G easily the best in Melbourne for knowledge, range and freshness.

Haha! Well, we wanted to go to Belgium for a brewery tour initially but we could not get enough days off to pull that one off.
I am lucky she supports this quaint (where I am it is considered quaint) little hobby =)

A HBS on your honeymoon huh :eek: I have never heard of a pub crawl honeymoon as you are planning, sounds outrageous. How do you get away with it? Good luck and congratulations :blink:
G&G easily the best in Melbourne for knowledge, range and freshness.

Back with a happy belly!
Managed 18 different microbrews on my trip (A few of these I had several)
Had a lot of fun at Mrs Parma's where the kind staff allowed me samples after samples after samples.
They were probably tickled by this Asian dude who knew so much about their beers
I experienced nothing but warm hospitality my trip to Melbourne =)

PS: Now my wife wants to go to Sydney in 2011!

Back