Hazy

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok haven't read this for a but i think it may be butters point with excess overpitching as i've recently moved to a 15litre fermentor which is the only change (which i forgot about) and i do re-use the cake so would be way way to much yeast so thanks alot and yes having cloudy beer sucks when you've created two of your finest beers and they aren't sparkling clear :(

might try that top-cropping sounds good

also clearing beer, finings and especially polyclar remove some compounds that are detrimental to long term storage of beer.

cheap option drink faster :D

That's a very broad statement considering the range of beer stabilisers out there. I'd be very interested to know what compounds your talking about. Polyclar (PVPP) is a selective polyphenol absorber- particularly anthocyanogens from the malt. It is insoluble and easy to use. It is widely used in commercial breweries because it actually extends shelf life and is extremely effective. One downside is the relatively high cost.

Cheers,
Adam

I think you are both saying the same thing...

For the most part, I guestimate. Especially when it's a recipe / yeast combo I've done before. But if you like to use jamils calculator (or similar), just whack the slider on the non-yeast percentage down, cos you haven't got any trub mixed in :icon_cheers:

Sounds good, the krausen on my AIPA is like 4 inches thick! I might just sanitise my 2nd fermenter and top crop her on the Golden ale clone i have sitting in the cube tonight. Currently, im running drastically low on beer so the faster i can get this one going the better i think. Not to mention fermenting @ 16-17deg ambient temps increases the fermentation time by up to x2 for an ale atm. I might as well have made a few lagers, the turnaround times atm have been disasterous with no temp control!

That's a very broad statement considering the range of beer stabilisers out there. I'd be very interested to know what compounds your talking about. Polyclar (PVPP) is a selective polyphenol absorber- particularly anthocyanogens from the malt. It is insoluble and easy to use. It is widely used in commercial breweries because it actually extends shelf life and is extremely effective. One downside is the relatively high cost.

Cheers,
Adam

wasn't trying to be anything other than generic. There are so many possibiluities with haze that I would have only been guessing to nail it down, just presented a couple of common ones. Your statement is absolutely correct adam
cheers

wasn't trying to be anything other than generic. There are so many possibiluities with haze that I would have only been guessing to nail it down, just presented a couple of common ones. Your statement is absolutely correct adam
cheers

Oopps... just read your post again and realised that you were saying that it removes the compounds that are detrimental to storage and not the removing of the compounds is detrimental to storage. Sorry for jumping on that. And your absolutely right...better to drink if fast.

Don't feel too bad, BSJ, I read it the same way. Even after others told you he was saying the same thing.

Although I am hideously drunk so maybe you should feel bad?

Oopps... just read your post again and realised that you were saying that it removes the compounds that are detrimental to storage and not the removing of the compounds is detrimental to storage. Sorry for jumping on that. And your absolutely right...better to drink if fast.

Don't feel too bad, BSJ, I read it the same way. Even after others told you he was saying the same thing.

Although I am hideously drunk so maybe you should feel bad?

sorry fellas, I post a lot at work and am often typing in a hurry so can often goof things up. I dont mind being corrected because I dont know everything. My ex (thankfully I was smart enough not to marry her) has that distinction.

No, your post is fine. I think I just had a brain-fart.

Im having some similar trouble, first brew in my kit, and its been sitting in the fermenter coming on 10 days now.. there was a slight leak, as the screw on lid didnt seal properly, so ive put weight down on it..

But now ive tested/tasted it, Hydrometer is sitting about about 1014, but its very hazy and has a strong yeasty aftertaste.. will it clear up a bit when bottling it? or does it sound contaminated?

Ryath,

Sounds like it is just cloudiness from the yeast and needs a little more time in the fermenter. Give it a few days in a warmish (~20C) location and do another gravity check. Fermentations are often slower in winter which means it may take longer to clear up.

Latest posts

Back