Having a whinge at the price of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Paid 11.50 at a local pub for a pint of 2 Brothers "Growler" (a lovely dark ale) but only paid less than $9 at their brewery which I found really surprising. Damn the pub must have some markup.

What drives me nuts is Batch sells their schooners for well less than $10. I've bought a schooner of the milk stout (which is a belter!) for $5. I know it's coming direct from the source but they still have to make a bob or two. I think, now I'm living in Marrickville, I'll probably end up sticking to drinking from the breweries.

Cheaper, fresher, supporting them direct and, well, there's still beards and man buns but it'll make it easier to bear if I'm not choking every time I get coins as change from a twenty.

droid said:
It must have been 7 years ago I went to the Subiaco Hotel in Perth to surprise visit a mate at his 40th and naturally had to buy a round...for three, so I ordered 3 pints and pulled out a $20 note...what was I thinking? It was closer to $30 and I thought, that's just wrong.

in WA a Schooner is bigger than a pint, it's a big arsed glass, in VIC you ask for a pint they give you a pot, these days I just ask for the biggest thing they have which is usually a pint, I haven't seen a proper schooner glass in VIC (not that I drink out much) not sure about Sydney but a schooner for a tenner whilst still wrong, isn't as wrong as it gets...

more power to us home brewers eh
You must have had a few schooners or pints or whatever the biggest glass is at your local pub.

Adelaide is the 1 that has things all messed up. Order a pint there and you get a schooner sized drink. Order a schooner and you get a middy/pot sized drink.

Pints have always been bigger than a schooner, even in WA.

10 yrs ago there weren't many places in Perth that would sell schooners; it was always middys and pints until it got all fancy.

Imperial pint 568ish mL
Schooner 425mL
Middy/pot 285mL

welly2 said:
Already had this whinge on one of the craft beer groups of Facebook. Not many people seemed to support my whinge so I guess perhaps I'm either cheap/poor or $10.50 for a schooner of 4.7% pale ale is a reasonable price. I still don't think it is.

Went to the Dove and Olive in Sydney on Friday arvo for a work lunch. I've been there before but not recently. Upstairs where we were eating, they had five taps on. Not a single beer was less than $10 for a schooner and Mornington Pale Ale was $10.50. A few respondents on Facebook suggested that the Dove and Olive are a bunch of rip off bastards and I think they're probably right. But overall, the price of a beer is ******* expensive in Sydney. Redfern's new craft beer bar, The Noble Hops, is the same. None of their beers are less than $10 for a schooner. While they've got a few unusual beers, come on! It's not costing them $10 to stick a beer on.

I literally can't afford a night out when a single beer is costing me a tenner and it's putting me off going out. And as fraser_john eloquently put, all those ******* groomed beards and man buns isn't helping.

Christ, I'm getting old.
$5 ($7 normally) schooners of Mornington Pale Ale at the brewery every Thursday night (as well as all there core beers). $10.50 is a bit steep.

welly2 said:
Already had this whinge on one of the craft beer groups of Facebook. Not many people seemed to support my whinge so I guess perhaps I'm either cheap/poor or $10.50 for a schooner of 4.7% pale ale is a reasonable price. I still don't think it is.

Went to the Dove and Olive in Sydney on Friday arvo for a work lunch. I've been there before but not recently. Upstairs where we were eating, they had five taps on. Not a single beer was less than $10 for a schooner and Mornington Pale Ale was $10.50. A few respondents on Facebook suggested that the Dove and Olive are a bunch of rip off bastards and I think they're probably right. But overall, the price of a beer is ******* expensive in Sydney. Redfern's new craft beer bar, The Noble Hops, is the same. None of their beers are less than $10 for a schooner. While they've got a few unusual beers, come on! It's not costing them $10 to stick a beer on.

I literally can't afford a night out when a single beer is costing me a tenner and it's putting me off going out. And as fraser_john eloquently put, all those ******* groomed beards and man buns isn't helping.

Christ, I'm getting old.
If I went to a such a place and after paying $10 for a beer and it wasn't served in a mason jar I'd be pissed off too.

danestead said:
You must have had a few schooners or pints or whatever the biggest glass is at your local pub.

Adelaide is the 1 that has things all messed up. Order a pint there and you get a schooner sized drink. Order a schooner and you get a middy/pot sized drink.

Pints have always been bigger than a schooner, even in WA.

10 yrs ago there weren't many places in Perth that would sell schooners; it was always middys and pints until it got all fancy.

Imperial pint 568ish mL
Schooner 425mL
Middy/pot 285mL
shit maybe i was drinking from a yard glass, I stand corrected

Happy hour at the Kent on Beaumont Street Newcastle last Monday, jugs of Fat Yak for $10.
Guess what all the locals were quaffing, even in the pokies room.

When I'm on a trip my go-to motel room / staying with rellies beer is to get a slab of Sainte Etienne euro lager from Aldi, $29 a slab for a 4.8% brewed by the biggest independent in Northern France. Lovely upfront hop aroma with malty sweetness and a refreshing finish, beats the living crap out of Stella, Carlsberg, Heineken and even most of the cheap Reinheitsgebot brews such as Oettinger ... $1.20 a stubby = $3.60 a litre.

in SA the pubs make an absolute fortune from poker machines and pass f#%$ all onto customers. There is a place in the south of Adelaide that has pints for 37 cents! Oh that's my place :D

$9.50 for a stubby of Coopers Mild Ale at the Port Lincoln airport.
$228 .00 for a slab at that price, or be a cheap skate and have Cricketers Arms for $7.50 a stubbie.

A little OT, but I always got annoyed going to SA and VIC for work purely from the fact that ordering a pint I'd get a schooner, and similarly ordering a schooner I'd get a middy/pot. As outlined above, why do these states not follow the general standards of 570mL pints, 425mL schooners and 285mL middies?

sponge said:
A little OT, but I always got annoyed going to SA and VIC for work purely from the fact that ordering a pint I'd get a schooner, and similarly ordering a schooner I'd get a middy/pot. As outlined above, why do these states not follow the general standards of 570mL pints, 425mL schooners and 285mL middies?
I know SA is a bit off, but schooners and pints in Vic are 425ml and 570ml respectively. Maybe someone is having a laugh?

I guess I haven't been down there for 3-4 years, but I definitely remember getting a shock when ordering. Maybe I am just attracted to the shady joints and they could smell the NS-welshman from a mile (1.6km) away.

In two years beers in specific Melbourne area pubs have gone up $1-2 per schooner and $2-3 per pint. That's a percentage increase well above the rate of inflation. The taxes have not gone up and I doubt many costs have.

Time to start a co-op named Good Drops Cheap.

I must be out of touch, in 2011 I went to a pub in Orange and paid $5 for a schooner and was taken aback (I don't go out much, had 3 kids under 2 at that stage). Nowadays $5+ is the going rate in town, $5.30 at the local RSL and about $5.50 at the Golf Club. I went exotic and got a JS 150 Lashes and paid $6.20 I think. I've never bought a premix but they're going for $8-$10/can these days. That's near theft.
Being the cheapskate I am I always put things in perspective. If I have 3 beers as I did on Saturday I could have fed the family a pretty decent meal with veges. I could also have bought 6 litres of milk and 3 boxes of cereal, breakfast for the family for a week. But for $10/beer you could either have half a litre of beer at the pub or 10 litres of milk from the supermarket. Of 3 loaves of bread. Or a good cut of steak etc. Or a kg of bananas and some apples. No thanks, at this stage in my life I'd rather pay off the mortgage and enjoy some cheaper beverages with friends at home or by a warm fire where they will taste just the same but probably leave a less bitter taste in my mouth.

On the plus side it makes home brew look pretty cost effective.

50L kegs of a standard crafty pale (Mornington, Holgate etc) is around $250 from a distributer.

(Just so you can look like Dustin Hoffman in 'Rain Man' at the bar next time you order a beer, trying to work out if you're being ripped or not)

*NB- Dustin never used his fingers to count on, genius

What they charge for soft drinks is the real rip off.

danestead said:
I think
that's the stuff they give drivers for free.
Free would be nice, one local place here charges $4-5 just for a soda water from the post mix machine. They should be encouraging designated drivers to bring there drinking buddies to their pub, not gouging them.

Latest posts

Back