Having a whinge at the price of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sponge said:
A little OT, but I always got annoyed going to SA and VIC for work purely from the fact that ordering a pint I'd get a schooner, and similarly ordering a schooner I'd get a middy/pot. As outlined above, why do these states not follow the general standards of 570mL pints, 425mL schooners and 285mL middies?
I now just ask for a small or a large beer. Too many differences between states and countries for me to get upset over local semantics :)

earle said:
Free would be nice, one local place here charges $4-5 just for a soda water from the post mix machine. They should be encouraging designated drivers to bring there drinking buddies to their pub, not gouging them.
I bought a schooner of Old, A schooner of Super Dry and a schooner of soda with lime the other night at my usual watering hole (The Commercial in Aberdeen)
$15.50...
Pretty sure the schooners were $5.20 each
What makes soda so damn expensive?
Same pub charges $7 odd for 150 lashes, so I've changed back to Old, and constantly bug them to put some sort of stout on tap

No body has mentioned the social sciences factor
i.e. keeping the riff-raff/unwashed out of there hipster bars.
Keeping the volume down of drunks picking fights and pissing there pants at the bar.
These drunks are the people the government use to drive up the taxes
Just look at what they did with alco pops, because of the kids.

Some years ago i came across some youngsters crowing about all the bottles of vodka and orange(alco pops) they had drunk the night before.
I then pointed out, for the same cost they could have brought a bottle of vodka and 5l of orange juice and got really pissed.
The blank look I got was "what you talkin bout willis"

droid said:
in VIC you ask for a pint they give you a pot, these days I just ask for the biggest thing they have which is usually a pint, I haven't seen a proper schooner glass in VIC (not that I drink out much) not sure about Sydney but a schooner for a tenner whilst still wrong, isn't as wrong as it gets...
I don't know where you've been and when you were there, but a pint is a pint in Vic, a pot is a pot and schooners do exist (although they're a little rarer).

danestead said:
You must have had a few schooners or pints or whatever the biggest glass is at your local pub.

Adelaide is the 1 that has things all messed up. Order a pint there and you get a schooner sized drink. Order a schooner and you get a middy/pot sized drink.

Pints have always been bigger than a schooner, even in WA.

10 yrs ago there weren't many places in Perth that would sell schooners; it was always middys and pints until it got all fancy.

Imperial pint 568ish mL
Schooner 425mL
Middy/pot 285mL
Yeah, SA certainly is different. The pints in South Australia are the same as pints in America, which is around a schooner size in most of the rest of Australia.

Havent confirmed this but apparently the redeveloped Guildford Hotel in WA is charging $9-$11 for schooners in glasses that are pretty close to a middy size.

kjg said:
No body has mentioned the social sciences factor
i.e. keeping the riff-raff/unwashed out of there hipster bars.
Keeping the volume down of drunks picking fights and pissing there pants at the bar.
These drunks are the people the government use to drive up the taxes
Just look at what they did with alco pops, because of the kids.

Some years ago i came across some youngsters crowing about all the bottles of vodka and orange(alco pops) they had drunk the night before.
I then pointed out, for the same cost they could have brought a bottle of vodka and 5l of orange juice and got really pissed.
The blank look I got was "what you talkin bout willis"
But in my opinion, if the alco pop tax was never introduced they wouldn't have the drug epidemic that is currently happening.

welly2 said:
What drives me nuts is Batch sells their schooners for well less than $10. I've bought a schooner of the milk stout (which is a belter!) for $5. I know it's coming direct from the source but they still have to make a bob or two. I think, now I'm living in Marrickville, I'll probably end up sticking to drinking from the breweries.

Cheaper, fresher, supporting them direct and, well, there's still beards and man buns but it'll make it easier to bear if I'm not choking every time I get coins as change from a twenty.
it's what i do mate. sadly, i can't afford 'craft beer bar' prices; apart from the botany view hotel in st. peters/newtown. their prices are quite cheap. give that a try if you're around. no affiliation.

Why don't you all join AA and stop your whinging you pack of old sheilas. Think of the money you've saved over all those years of homebrewing and fuckin treat yourselves occasionally. Bought a marstons pedigree the other day, well worth the 8.99 I paid for it.

Sitting in Evans Head bowling club tonight for work this week, only $5 for a schooner of 150 lashes.. So, silver linings...

Vini2ton said:
Why don't you all join AA and stop your whinging you pack of old sheilas. Think of the money you've saved over all those years of homebrewing and fuckin treat yourselves occasionally. Bought a marstons pedigree the other day, well worth the 8.99 I paid for it.
How much does AA cost?

I remember the first time my parents came over here for a visit from the UK, I took my Dad out for a few beers with my mate.

We were at Hargreaves Hill, we'd ordered 3x pints of Zenith IPA, I'd insisted he get the first round.

He gets out his wallet, picks a blue note. I shake my head.

He adds a purple note. I shake my head. He rolls his eyes.

He gets a red note. I shake my head. He stares at me.

I select a yellow note for him and remind him he's only here on holiday :D

Vini2ton said:
Obviously you don't mind being ripped off, same attitude to food, utility costs etc? If you think about it, it's nothing to do with the "money saved over all those years....." It's about the rip off and not all of us heaps of cash to chuck around.

I had a few beers when I went to the Gold Coast recently.
Pints for $8 to $11. 36 beers on tap they had. No issue with the prices as I was on holiday but I would not do that a lot if I lived there.

$9.50 for a stubbie of mid strength megaswill in karratha, (standard price for a carton though at the bottlo)

Vini2ton said:
I'm up to about brew 53 so far. The $5,000ish I've spent on brewing gear has almost paid itself off.

Bribie G said:
Happy hour at the Kent on Beaumont Street Newcastle last Monday, jugs of Fat Yak for $10.
Guess what all the locals were quaffing, even in the pokies room.

When I'm on a trip my go-to motel room / staying with rellies beer is to get a slab of Sainte Etienne euro lager from Aldi, $29 a slab for a 4.8% brewed by the biggest independent in Northern France. Lovely upfront hop aroma with malty sweetness and a refreshing finish, beats the living crap out of Stella, Carlsberg, Heineken and even most of the cheap Reinheitsgebot brews such as Oettinger ... $1.20 a stubby = $3.60 a litre.
I already mentioned it on another thread, but Aldi's green (Pale Ale I think) carton of Storm, at ~$31 was definitely not bad at all.

You and my Dad would get on well, he raves about Aldi Storm.
I don't mind it on a hot arvo, there's a time and a place for every beer especially when it's Dads shout.

Danwood said:
I remember the first time my parents came over here for a visit from the UK, I took my Dad out for a few beers with my mate.........

....... and remind him he's only here on holiday :D
Nice work Danwood. Please keep reminding all the Poms they are only here for holidays.......you could tell the Kiwis that too.

PS. No offence meant mate. I am sure you old Dad is a great bloke. Just joking.

I have a night out in a pub in Sydney or another major city a handful of times a year and given there's no decent craft beer pubs where I live I like to go somewhere with a good range.

Yes it is expensive but given what I save on a weekly basis drinking my home brew rather than cartons of mega swill I'm not going to let the cost ruin a good night out. Still cheaper than when I used to get on the cans in my 20s!

Latest posts

Back