Having a whinge at the price of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a night out in a pub in Sydney or another major city a handful of times a year and given there's no decent craft beer pubs where I live I like to go somewhere with a good range.

Yes it is expensive but given what I save on a weekly basis drinking my home brew rather than cartons of mega swill I'm not going to let the cost ruin a good night out. Still cheaper than when I used to get on the cans in my 20s!

sp0rk said:
I bought a schooner of Old, A schooner of Super Dry and a schooner of soda with lime the other night at my usual watering hole (The Commercial in Aberdeen)
$15.50...
Pretty sure the schooners were $5.20 each
What makes soda so damn expensive?
Same pub charges $7 odd for 150 lashes, so I've changed back to Old, and constantly bug them to put some sort of stout on tap
If paying $7 for 150 lashes may be cheaper to go to some foreign countries where the lashes are free,.Would be ironic to get 150 lashes for drinking 150 lashes.

You know you're about to be reamed if the glasses are called "small" & "large" instead of pot/schooner/pint whatever.

jimmy86 said:
But in my opinion, if the alco pop tax was never introduced they wouldn't have the drug epidemic that is currently happening.
Or the high alcohol tax in general. People are always going to flock to the cheapest option.

It's high time we address the underlying issues instead of providing a bandaid 'solution' that fixes nothing.

Don't know why you posted here too, it must have really pissed you off. Yes it is expensive to drink out, but look where you were.. if you don't want to pay so much then go to a less trendy place and drink beer or don't go out as much. I hate paying a lot for beer as well but when you go out you have to put up or shut up.

Defending the market.... But we are complaining about the market.

Your post isn't about complaining about the market.
[emoji53]

Liam_snorkel said:
You know you're about to be reamed if the glasses are called "small" & "large" instead of pot/schooner/pint whatever.
And if they are called jars then turn heel and walk away...just walk away.

The people driving the nanny state aren't doing it for us.
There doing it to make them self's look important and advance there own, mostly undisclosed/hidden political agenda.
There are plenty of examples of today's bleeding hart, knee jerk, band aids out there.
It wont be long till they out law fun altogether.

Sooner or later there going to have to realize that society is full of idiots (mostly related to them) and they cant out law that, yet.
But I bet there going to try.
If the nanny's get there way the price/ tax on beer would be double.
Theirs nothing fair about it.
So grab your toes and smile. :blink: :)

Paid $28 for two ciders in Melbourne once. Yep I know that's what you get for drinking cider .. but the beers weren't much cheaper.

This is good for those who haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v91npUJTcD0

good4whatAlesU said:
Paid $28 for two ciders in Melbourne once. Yep I know that's what you get for drinking cider .. but the beers weren't much cheaper.

This is good for those who haven't seen it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v91npUJTcD0
I noticed last night that the Van Buuren Bros' TV show 'Soul Mates' is on Netflix last night and has most of the Bondi Hipsters sketches in it
Good stuff

I recently went to a local markets type setup at gledswood farm winery in western Sydney.
I hit the bar pretty quickly as you do and I asked the bloke what's on tap. $7 schooners.
He says to me rocks hangman pale, govners golden and the lager rocks again.
I said hangman pale for sure knowing its awsome. ///.
I then grabbed a pulled Brisket and slaw roll and wondered around with the wife looking at the stalls with a beer in hand and good food in the other.
In that situation I would have paid 10 bucks for a hangman and then some.
I ended up having 6 hangmen and the wife said to me can we come next month.
I said to her no probs.

<ConspiracyTheory>

It's the Neo-Prohibitionists!

They realise they can't (yet) ban the sale of alcohol, nor can the raise the drinking age (although they keep trying).

But the government is always ready to listen to a justifiable excuse (in their eyes) to increase the tax on alcohol.

After all, every pregnant mothers/kids/wife beater/youth/thug/husband beater/whatever has just too much access to that demon drink.

Increasing the price will decrease the consumption! One more step towards prohibition. Yay!
(*Of course* when the bible says "wine", that really means "grape juice"! (Because we all know grape juice keeps well in the heat)).

</ConspiracyTheory>

-kt

Buying beer at the footy is a thing of the past for me. I used to wear the price but now, with all the choices, they queue up to get ripped off. Now that's just embarrassing. Ah the good old days of the gladstone bag and six bottles of barracking juice.

I gotta be honest, the price of beer here was the main thing that got me into brewing when I moved over from the UK. I don't think I would've ever got off my arse and learned how to do it myself when there was Landlord for two pound fifty a pint at my local. So that's a plus, and I also do some bar work from time to time and $20 an hour is a lot better than what you get pulling pints in Blighty.

Mr Wibble said:
<ConspiracyTheory>

It's the Neo-Prohibitionists!

They realise they can't (yet) ban the sale of alcohol, nor can the raise the drinking age (although they keep trying).

But the government is always ready to listen to a justifiable excuse (in their eyes) to increase the tax on alcohol.

After all, every pregnant mothers/kids/wife beater/youth/thug/husband beater/whatever has just too much access to that demon drink.

Increasing the price will decrease the consumption! One more step towards prohibition. Yay!
(*Of course* when the bible says "wine", that really means "grape juice"! (Because we all know grape juice keeps well in the heat)).

</ConspiracyTheory>

-kt
Given that of the $10 people are complaining about paying for a pint of beer, only 70c (or thereabouts dependent mainly on ABV) is excise, they're not doing a particularly good job of using excise to price people out of drinking it. GST is actually a bigger proportion of that $10 price

I'm not as fussed* about the price as I am about how cold and fizzy it always is.
Beer out often makes me want to switch to whisky.
Hey it's Hobart winter; come sit by our log fire and warm yourself up with a pint of oatmeal stout served 4 degrees colder than it is outside.

*Mostly ok with paying a reasonable premium on good, well treated stuff, happy to drink cheap swill in the right context. When good beer turns bad or swill commands premium price, I don't stay long.

Vini2ton said:
Buying beer at the footy is a thing of the past for me. I used to wear the price but now, with all the choices, they queue up to get ripped off. Now that's just embarrassing. Ah the good old days of the gladstone bag and six bottles of barracking juice.
A mate used to sneak rum into the footy by hiding it in a sunscreen 'Pump pack'. Cleaned it out first of course ;)

Latest posts

Back