Having a whinge at the price of beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Already had this whinge on one of the craft beer groups of Facebook. Not many people seemed to support my whinge so I guess perhaps I'm either cheap/poor or $10.50 for a schooner of 4.7% pale ale is a reasonable price. I still don't think it is.

Went to the Dove and Olive in Sydney on Friday arvo for a work lunch. I've been there before but not recently. Upstairs where we were eating, they had five taps on. Not a single beer was less than $10 for a schooner and Mornington Pale Ale was $10.50. A few respondents on Facebook suggested that the Dove and Olive are a bunch of rip off bastards and I think they're probably right. But overall, the price of a beer is ******* expensive in Sydney. Redfern's new craft beer bar, The Noble Hops, is the same. None of their beers are less than $10 for a schooner. While they've got a few unusual beers, come on! It's not costing them $10 to stick a beer on.

I literally can't afford a night out when a single beer is costing me a tenner and it's putting me off going out. And as fraser_john eloquently put, all those ******* groomed beards and man buns isn't helping.

Christ, I'm getting old.

$5.40 for a Schooner of super at my local.

$5.00 for Coopers Mid

I dont think I will be moving for a while :D

welly2 said:
........ as fraser_john eloquently put, all those ******* groomed beards and man buns isn't helping.

Christ, I'm getting old.
Yes, Welly, you are getting old. Me too. The issue is, that all those man buns and Ned Kelly beards expect to clear $250k per year for pulling a few beers in an over priced, over hyped, wankfest. Stay away from there old bloke, you will only get hurt.....and the music will be too loud for you too.

See you, Anthony

Fuggen Hipsters, they can have there wanky overpriced beer

We dont get them in these parts. I guess they see real men with real beards drinking decently priced beer in a proper pub and cant handle it

I still get a kick knowing the stupid dicks are willing to pay 2 x the price for a longneck of VB in a brown bag

Wankers

AJS2154 said:
Yes, Welly, you are getting old. Me too. The issue is, that all those man buns and Ned Kelly beards expect to clear $250k per year for pulling a few beers in an over priced, over hyped, wankfest. Stay away from there old bloke, you will only get hurt.....and the music will be too loud for you too.

See you, Anthony
Reminds me of a Macc Lads song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toFgdbf33hg

Bennet Hotel in Hamilton, best Chinese food in Newcastle, Coopers red and green on tap, less than $6/Schooner. Couple of decent craft bars and breweries in Newcastle, not too outrageous for standard strength beer, tho some of the super can cost.
The cost of beer has very little to do with the cost of beer and a lot to do with rent, wages and all the other overheads that as a small business eat your arse!

Mark

The small independent brewer can't compete with the big players on price , so most people understand you pay more for them. I suspect the rent in Sydney would
be contributing to the price there. If the place is small and in a cheaper suburb, then they're probably ripping you off and the market will eventually turn against them.
I think in Melbourne I was paying $10 - $12 for a pint. This provides an opportunity for outer suburbs or regional / country areas to satisfy drinkers.

i recently forked out $23 (no typo) for a glass of Heineken in singapore.....i had just been at sea on a dry ship for a few months, so thats my excuse.

side note, there is now a craft beer bar across the road from the infamous 4 floors on orchid road.... (not that i know anything about that building of sailor sin ;) )

$10 for a craft beer sourced from some boutique brewery in another city, I can sort of understand. There arent the well established supply lines around the country like the big breweries have that reduce the economies of scale, trucking in a few kegs over hundreds or thousands of kilometers isn't cheap.

What I think is bullshit is venues that charge $9 for shit beer like Peroni or $10 for a weak mixed drink. I get that the punters are there to see a musical act and so the bar has a monopoly and they can charge whatever they like, but surely someone has crunched the numbers and figured hang on.... If we charge $6 bucks for shit beer (that costs us $2), people might be happy to have 8 of them over the course of a night, spending $48 bucks, instead of only limiting themselves to 4, spending $36 bucks. Unless that's just how I operate, and everybody else is happy to blow their cash? The short lines at the bar wouldnt suggest that is the case.

It must have been 7 years ago I went to the Subiaco Hotel in Perth to surprise visit a mate at his 40th and naturally had to buy a round...for three, so I ordered 3 pints and pulled out a $20 note...what was I thinking? It was closer to $30 and I thought, that's just wrong.

in WA a Schooner is bigger than a pint, it's a big arsed glass, in VIC you ask for a pint they give you a pot, these days I just ask for the biggest thing they have which is usually a pint, I haven't seen a proper schooner glass in VIC (not that I drink out much) not sure about Sydney but a schooner for a tenner whilst still wrong, isn't as wrong as it gets...

more power to us home brewers eh

Roosterboy said:
The small independent brewer can't compete with the big players on price , so most people understand you pay more for them. I suspect the rent in Sydney would
be contributing to the price there. If the place is small and in a cheaper suburb, then they're probably ripping you off and the market will eventually turn against them.
I think in Melbourne I was paying $10 - $12 for a pint. This provides an opportunity for outer suburbs or regional / country areas to satisfy drinkers.
this.

I can't enjoy my beer at that cost. While I can consider the rent and overheads, in absolute terms.... I nearly always have buyers regret and that supplants my enjoyment.

Places like super wotnot in Brisbane buy in a great range of beers and know the story behind the beer and the brewer. Upon exploration I will venture to $10 a beer. But not for session beers, not to talk with my mates, not to watch the game.

I just spent $60 today on my winter RIS, 30 litres at 1082.

Just makes going out a chore.

Not a justification for any prices as all brewers would pay the same ( i bloody hope...)
Just a thing to keep in mind, this is from the ATO website.
https://www.ato.gov.au/business/excise-and-excise-equivalent-goods/alcohol-excise/excise-rates-for-alcohol/

Tariff item

Description

Rate per litre of alcohol from 1 Aug 2015

Rate per litre of alcohol from 1 Feb 2016

Alcohol volume exceeding 3.5%, individual container over 48 litres

$33.43*

$33.70*

So as at 1 feb 2016, a 1,000 litre batch of beer @ 5% alcohol has a duty of $1,685 payable.
This is paid before it leaves the brewery.
so using some very rudimentary numbers, 1,000 litres=20 kegs= $84.25 per keg. so on a half litre serve of this 5% alcohol beer, the ATO is getting 84.25 cents.

Apologies if my maths is out, i'm about $4.50 into the tax department :p
Also agree on earlier statements about economies of scale, smaller brewers likely pay more for grain / Hops and yeast and i can imagine their transport costs are greater per litre of beer.

But yes, it does feel like you are being ripped hard in so many places :-(

Go to Byron Bay...

Its not the sharks in the ocean that take an arm & a leg

It maybe the tax, the rent, the wages, etc. But at $10.00 a beer I can't afford to drink to many.

lost at sea said:
i recently forked out $23 (no typo) for a glass of Heineken in singapore.....i had just been at sea on a dry ship for a few months, so thats my excuse.

side note, there is now a craft beer bar across the road from the infamous 4 floors on orchid road.... (not that i know anything about that building of sailor sin ;) )
Haha, good to hear that establishment is still up and running. It always did appear to follow a sound business plan.

Back