Have Seeds In My Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ekul

Reaction score
I was putting down a double of golden ale on monday and when i was chilling i realised that there was these black things floating on the top. Thinking it was bits of mould or bugs i fished it out, only to discover that they were actually seeds!

I'm assuming that the seeds came from the super alpha as there were no other flowers in the brew, only pellets. But this is perplexing as super alpha is meant to be a triploid variety, which would mean that it doesn't set seed (or this is my understanding anyway).

I'm thinking that the seed will not effect my brew too much, other than maybe throwing my weights off, and thus ibus but there was only about 20 seed in there, so maybe a gram tops.

I haven't looked yet but if i can find more seed in the bag does anyone think they will grow? The seed in the pot looked fully formed to me and when i sqeezed them there was an embryo inside so the seed looked fully fertile. Would be pretty awesome to grow my own super alpha.

The other strange thing is that the super alpha i have does not smell like other super alpha hops i have smelt. Is this becaue making seed has taken away some of the 'potency' of the hops?

Anyone else ever got seed in their hops?

Yes it used to be quite common with some of the NZ flowers that i used to use.Seedless hops is a little more of a recent thing like the last 20 yrs.In countries where hops are native and grow wild i would imagine it could be a bit of i problem more so for the grower than the brewer.You are right when it comes to the measure of the hops how much more should i put in.

The most resionous hop flowers would be sinsemilla. The resin is there to catch the pollen once fertilised there is no need to produce any more.

Don't worry about them, the AA% on the pack will include the seeds, it's the AA of what you brought.

It's quite likely that the seeds are the result of a wild pollination that means they probably won't be true to type i.e. Super Alpha. It's possible that they are or they could be a truly unique hybrid, I understand growing hops from seed is fairly involved and takes a couple of years, might be worth Googeling before you start.

Anyhow getting the seeds out undamaged, if you weighed your hops for your next brew, then soaked the pellets in a little cold water, they should break up fairly easily and let you pick the seeds out, before adding the hop slurry to the kettle.

Diploid (2), Triploid (3), just means the plant has multiple copies of its genes. Doesn't stop it being fertile, IFIRC there is a South American water lily that a natural polyploid and has something like 21 copies apparently its ginormous like over a meter across.

MHB

Diploid (2), Triploid (3), just means the plant has multiple copies of its genes. Doesn't stop it being fertile, IFIRC there is a South American water lily that a natural polyploid and has something like 21 copies apparently its ginormous like over a meter across.

MHB

I actually thought the whole point of triploid was so to render the plant infertile, so that it couldn't produce seed. Thats how they make seedless watermelon, citrus etc

Thanks for the info about the aa%, I hadn't thought about the aa already incorporating the seed weight but i spose it would. Thats good news.

I googled growing hop seeds. From what i can gather i just put the seeds in some moist peat moss and then place in the fridge for 6+ weeks. When they sprout just grow them like anyother seed. Apparently the first year they won't flower. I'll give it a go, got nothing to lose really. :)

Growing seed from hybrids will not usually give you the same plant as the parent, hence we grow many from cuttings. In the case of hops usually from root (rhizome) cuttings.
With hops you will also get male and female plants of which only the female plants are of any use to brewers.
Agree with MHB that it is probably wild pollinated as they wouldn't be growing male plants at the hop farm.
Cheers
Nige

Back