Has Anyone Tipped Airlock Water Into Their Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After lagering for 15 days I siphoned my beer out of my demijohn into a secondary for bottling tomorrow and I accidently tipped some of the airlock water into my beer!

Has this happened to anyone else? Did it infect your beer? I wanted to give a couple of these bottles to some work mates for Christmas, I like these people and don't want to give them beer that going to make them chuck.

Has anyone had a good outcome to this ridiculous gaff.

Cheers.
GDAH

Best answer - who knows?

I've had two brews cop airlock water, one had it sucked in crash chilling and one had it sucked in lifting the fermenter by the lid.

Both turned out fine.... it's probably not an ideal place for an infection to grow at that stage...

Best of luck :beerbang:

*edit* both airlocks had plain water in if you are wondering

After lagering for 15 days I siphoned my beer out of my demijohn into a secondary for bottling tomorrow and I accidently tipped some of the airlock water into my beer!

Has this happened to anyone else? Did it infect your beer? I wanted to give a couple of these bottles to some work mates for Christmas, I like these people and don't want to give them beer that going to make them chuck.

Has anyone had a good outcome to this ridiculous gaff.

Cheers.
GDAH

happened to me , no worries

I always used boiled water in the airlock

bear in mind it could go off , but no nutrients , and only there for a short time

I've done that before

Should turn out fine

As a precaution I fill mine with a starsan solution now

I don't think I've brewed a beer that hasn't ended up with airlock water in it. Never had an infection.

Not much can live in beer when it's got a fair amount of alcohol in it and there's no oxygen.

Yeast themselves go to great lengths to make their life more difficult by shitting out the alcohol - it's a byproduct, but it's also a damn handy environment wrecker for other critters.

Well these are the types of responses I was hoping to read. So far I haven't had infected beer and didn't want to start now.

Cheers all, I might relax about it being buggered.

Does anyone take the airlock out to move the fermenter? If not, I can't see how it can be done without sucking water into the drum.

Does anyone take the airlock out to move the fermenter? If not, I can't see how it can be done without sucking water into the drum.

I use a two part airlock. Its easy to remove the top part of the airlock...

but recently, i've begun using starsan and just let the airlock bubble backwards... oh well.

Just do this:

My Saison in 32C :beerbang: It's sweating!

And if you are freakin out about airlocks:

http://www.undergroundartproject.com/blog/...n-fermentation/

IMG_2795.jpg

IMG_2794.jpg

I am also a glad wrapper - BUT it's dead easy to move the fermenter - just unscrew the lid a touch to remove the pressure and then the fermenter can be moved without sucking airlock juice into the beer. New location, retighten the lid.

GDAH - I had quite a few brews suck in airlock juice and dodn't have a problem; i generally used boiled water or clear spirit (if I used airlocks now I think the starsan idea is magnificent).

Does anyone take the airlock out to move the fermenter? If not, I can't see how
it can be done without sucking water into the drum.
How much fluid are you putting into the airlock? With the double-bulb
and S-bend type, I only put enough water (with phos acid) to fill up
the bottom tube between the bulbs and a bit more so fluid level is
inside the bulbs.

The bulbs have fluid level marks at their halfway points and I think this
is way more than needed and makes it easy for fluid to be sucked back
into the fermenter.

T.

[a fan of the ol' bloop! bloop! bloop!]

I use both two-part and s-bend type airlocks, depending on the fermenter I'm using. Usually fill them up 1/3 of the way. The water getting into the drum doesn't worry me, it's just this topic made me think this shouldn't be a common occurrence. I might try using a little less water in the airlock.

that bucket is half empty (or half full depending on your outlook) and the numbers seem to have fallen over :blink:

The bucket is white. One should always ferment in a white bucket. Failing this, blue is satisfactory. Never green, green is for sparging.

These are the RULES.

super clean fermenting zone you got going on there... :)

did you jump of the BMX home from school and take that pic lol

Notice the beer is INSIDE the fermenter. Also notice the BMX has a tail light.

The mower, however is only used for killing Zombies.

Checkout how the 55C heat off the garage door is freakin with the krausen - it's all half/half. Got some weird circulation happening. Ambient is 32C. HOT HOT HOT. FIZZ FIZZ FIZZ.

The bucket is white. One should always ferment in a white bucket. Failing this, blue is satisfactory. Never green, green is for sparging.

These are the RULES.

I use blue for racking. I know, rebellious yet ground breaking.

Latest posts

Back