Has Anyone Tipped Airlock Water Into Their Beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Notice the beer is INSIDE the fermenter. Also notice the BMX has a tail light.

The mower, however is only used for killing Zombies.

Checkout how the 55C heat off the garage door is freakin with the krausen - it's all half/half. Got some weird circulation happening. Ambient is 32C. HOT HOT HOT. FIZZ FIZZ FIZZ.

U sure that's beer your brewing there....i thought i seen a body part.

Easier than glad wrap... use the lid and just pop a PET bottle cap over the hole where the airlock goes in.

Various species of small beetles have been known to carry PET lids away from airlocks as part of an international conspiracy to allow this to crawl in*

Clostridium-Botulinum1.jpg

*will only affect no-chilled beers

happens quite often when I'm using a better bottle so I always use starsan, or some spirit.

Various species of small beetles have been known to carry PET lids away from airlocks as part of an international conspiracy to allow this to crawl in*

Thousands of tiny Grimaces

Darren? :D

I gave up on an airlock, at about the 3rd brew. Been blow off tube ever since. Best decision i made.

I gave up on an airlock, at about the 3rd brew. Been blow off tube ever since. Best decision i made.
a blow off tube cane be noisy. s-locks are noisy also but both are very non-prone to backing up into the fermenter.
If you use a round pail for a secondary fermenter, use cheap vodka as a lock fluid. I have used boiled water also and have never had a problem.

Another option is suck the lock dry before trying to move the lid.

Checkout how the 55C heat off the garage door is freakin with the krausen - it's all half/half. Got some weird circulation happening. Ambient is 32C. HOT HOT HOT. FIZZ FIZZ FIZZ.

lol

I generally use blow off tubes into a collecting vessell. On one memorable occasion I dumped a heap of starsan (glug glug don't measure) and coooled boiled water into the blowoff collecting vessel. It was all good in the stc1000 controlled fridge until I chilled for a week after fermentation. The fermententation vessell sucked up all of the starsan and it really killed the yeast and flavour in the brew. Flocked out super clear but tasted horrible.
I have used cooled boiled water in the blowoof collecting vessel sinse then, without starsan, but I have a couple of time since forget about what happens when I chill the brew after fermentation - every time it almost sucks the collecting vessell dry. No bad effects. I figure it has been bombed by CO2 from the ferementer and that may create mild carbolic acid, or at least an environment that is not condusive to harbouring nasties. It probably wont hurt the beer.
So yeah I have tipped heaps of 'airlock' water into my beer.

I generally use a small amount of vodka now....I've used star san previously too, but I often found that it bubbled like detergent and then it bubbled away and I sometimes ended up with a dry airlock...not good....vodka never does that

I take the airlock out and pop a paper towel or tissue over the hold. The towel has had a fresh squirt of alcohol gel, hand sanitizer. The sanitize airlock and add only the tiniest amount of sanitized water so it doesn't get sucked in when bottling but stops the dust.

yeah probably overkill but cant stand idea of anything in my beer

Back