Has anyone experienced staining of benchtops from starsan?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Ninja

Reaction score
It took us a while to find out what was causing the stains on the new laundry room benchtop but starsan it is. And they won't wipeView attachment 80852View attachment 80853 off. Fortunately SWMBO is being cool about it but if it had been the kitchen it would be a different matter (we used a different benchtop material in the laundry room - Polytec)

Has anyone else experienced similar problems?

Photos attached. The second photo shows stains from starsan cap.

ss2.jpg star1.jpg

By the look of the first pic the beer gods have given you the thumbs-up to stain whatever you want. Acid is acid.

Been there. Eats laminate.
Pbw is quite good on Teflon too.

Do you guys use the true 5 Star Starsan? Or an equivalent?
I use an equivalent and its neutral effects as far as low PH goes. As far as many things go.
It just makes me wonder about the bench top.
Open up a can of worms about our chemical lives. <_<

Thanks guys, lesson learned.

Odd thing is, I have 'sensitive skin' - a few seconds of household cleaning products in contact with my hands buggers them up as if I'd had them in cement for a day.

I can be up to my elbows in starsan and it has no ill effect. That's chemistry I guess.

Danscraftbeer said:
I use an equivalent and its neutral effects as far as low PH goes. As far as many things go.
So you're saying your stuff is to Star San what Sodium Ascorbate is to Ascorbic Acid?

More info, please!

Back