Harissa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettprevans

HB so good, it will raise the dead
Reaction score
WARNING - Get this shit to forensics! Very hot! 1/4 teaspoon into 2 bowls of noodle dish is more than enough for fire in your mouth

Harisssa
A spicy paste blend used in many north African dishes. Used in flavouring in soups, casseroles, tanginess etc. or mix more oil into it and serve with flatbread as an accompaniment.

125g dried chillies stems removed
1 tblsp dried mint
1 tblsp ground coriander
1 tblsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground caraway seeds
10 cloves garlic chopped
cup olive oil

- Chop chillies and soak in boiling water for 30min.
- Place all spices into food processor with 1 tblsp of olive oil and tsp salt. Process for 30sec
- Add 2 tblsp oil then process again for 30 sec
- Repeat until a thick paste forms

Put into a clean jar and put a thin layer of oil on top to keep it fresh.
Will keep in the fridge for 6 months.

Made a fresh on the weekend. god this stuff is good. obviously you can alter the recipe to suit (ie less chilies is you like). Also a nice addition is to smoke some chillies or buy smoked (if you can find them). adds another depth of flavour.

I love harissa but usually buy it pre-prepared. That looks like a really good recipe so I might give it a go over the weekend.

Cheers
Dave

i must admit i was a little lazy and didnt blend it into paste. my current supply is a bit chunkier..still some whole chilli seeds etc. but still awsome.

Harrisa beer anyone?

ummm... no.

Chilli beer is OK but let me assure you that garlic beer is very much not OK. And I don't know what the olive oil would do for head retention...

ummm... no.

Chilli beer is OK but let me assure you that garlic beer is very much not OK. And I don't know what the olive oil would do for head retention...

Garlic has being done apparently it is quite nice.

Oil oil aeration! :D

a nice beer to wash down harrisa spiced dishes yeah.. garlic beer :icon_vomit: id be eating tofu before harissa beer KT.

edit:
much better to add some to your laksa or Tom Yum soup or similar. i mixed some through my Sweet & Sour Veggies that we had for dinner the other night. mouthwatering heat :icon_drool2:

Garlic has being done apparently it is quite nice.

Oil oil aeration! :D

I've done garlic beer and let me assure you that it isn't quite nice. I know it sounds like it should be nice. But it isn't. It is possibly one of the vilest flavour combinations possible.

garlic food with beer = :D
garlic in beer = :icon_vomit:

And lets not start another olive oil aeration thread. I don't think we have recovered from the last one yet...

Alright back on topic (I think I need a lay down :huh: )

Harissa Homemade Sausages

3kg Leg of pork (85%/15% Meat/Fat)
2 large Onions
Harissa Spice Mix as per CM2 (I have one simular just can't remember it)
Cup of Tawny Port

Mince all ingredients and leave over night in a bowl for stuffing the sausages the next day.

Simple easy and completely addictive.

Alright back on topic (I think I need a lay down :huh: )

Harissa Homemade Sausages

3kg Leg of pork (85%/15% Meat/Fat)
2 large Onions
Harissa Spice Mix as per CM2 (I have one simular just can't remember it)
Cup of Tawny Port

Mince all ingredients and leave over night in a bowl for stuffing the sausages the next day.

Simple easy and completely addictive.
:icon_drool2:
god i need a sausage maker

:icon_drool2:
god i need a sausage maker

Noticed them on special at Kfart for $50 this week. I bought another one as back up for my current one. Great way to get into it and I noticed your home growing brewer as well so the fresh herbs and stuff make it 10x better.

Noticed them on special at Kfart for $50 this week. I bought another one as back up for my current one. Great way to get into it and I noticed your home growing brewer as well so the fresh herbs and stuff make it 10x better.
I recon i can swing $50. actually i need a mincer first. unless that's what you were referring to? mincer or stuffer?

yup now we are back in our own place we can start up the garden again. this time, bigger and better.

I recon i can swing $50. actually i need a mincer first. unless that's what you were referring to? mincer or stuffer?

yup now we are back in our own place we can start up the garden again. this time, bigger and better.

All in one mate! Great little bit of kit. I bought mine when they were $129. I probably crank out 3-4kg of sausages a month now it's getting warmer and BBQ is getting more use.

Oh got another Harissa Recipe!

Harissa Blacken Tuna

Prepared Harissa Paste
2 Limes
2 Thick tuna steaks

Fresh Garden Salad and Rice bed for the fish.

Liberally cover the tuna steaks with Harissa paste and bung them in the fridge for 1hr to set.

Pull tuna out of the fridge about 5 mins before you fire up the BBQ. Get BBQ grill white hot. Grill for 1 1/2 mins each side and squeeze generous amount of lime over as it cooks. Pull off grill and give them about a minute of so to settle and them serve.

Friggin awesome. :icon_drool2:

nice chappo. although i reocon that harissa paste above would kill you if you coated the fish in it. i was thining about blackened tuna last night after masterchef. also reminded me that i need to make up another batch of cajun spice. hmm cajun chicken souvlaki's with sweet chili sauce :icon_drool2:

All in one mate! Great little bit of kit. I bought mine when they were $129. I probably crank out 3-4kg of sausages a month now it's getting warmer and BBQ is getting more use.
kambrook brand? kenwood?

edit: might be sunbeam? I think i remember Mercs Own saying that was what he had. will have to get down to Kmart this weekend

nice chappo. although i reocon that harissa paste above would kill you if you coated the fish in it. i was thining about blackened tuna last night after masterchef. also reminded me that i need to make up another batch of cajun spice. hmm cajun chicken souvlaki's with sweet chili sauce :icon_drool2:

kambrook brand? kenwood?

edit: might be sunbeam? I think i remember Mercs Own saying that was what he had. will have to get down to Kmart this weekend

Homemaker brand? Kfarts own brand IIRC?

Ha ya sook! Wife and I did a North Afircans cookery course earlier this year and we have become very addicted to Harissa. I reckon I could eat it on toast. There is another recipe with goat meat balls which is just awesome I'll see if I dig it up. Basically it's a braised dish which you slow cook for hours :icon_drool2: .

Homemaker brand? Kfarts own brand IIRC?

Ha ya sook! Wife and I did a North Afircans cookery course earlier this year and we have become very addicted to Harissa. I reckon I could eat it on toast. There is another recipe with goat meat balls which is just awesome I'll see if I dig it up. Basically it's a braised dish which you slow cook for hours :icon_drool2: .
i might have become soft. the missus cant stand a lot of heat. luckily the 2 kids dont seemt o mind heat so im getting to cook with chilli again

oh yeah find goat meatball recipe. unreal!

There is another recipe with goat meat balls which is just awesome I'll see if I dig it up. Basically it's a braised dish which you slow cook for hours :icon_drool2: .
:super: :icon_drool2:

:icon_offtopic:

Im trying to find that recipe for some savoury nutty/cracker/bran recipe. IIRC it has some nutra grain in it and some packet mix. I just cant find it

Also chappo. Whats the goats meat balls recipe?

Latest posts

Back