Hangover Cures

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hate hangovers and ever since I got glandular fever last year I seem to get them everytime I have more than 3 beers.

I find though that something decent to eat about 30 minutes before going to bed and a big glass of flavoured mineral water seems to help along with some vitamin B tablets in the morning. I rarely take panadol etc. I rarely get the headaches I tend to end up with seedy guts and feeling uber tired. When I was a raver I always had apples and bananas to help keep me happy & awake during a come down/day after. Seemed to work.

Berocca, before bed & after waking up
Bacon & egg roll (not maccas, but a proper takeaway one) or egg & vegemite toasty sandwich
a double espresso
Workdesk & chill-out tunes

Water, sleep, bacon, super hot curry, beer, sex.

Fortunately I rarely get them if I drink preservative free liquor (including my own beer)
I'd stop drinking your preservative free liquor then, cos sleep, bacon ,hot curry and beersex are very important in a balanced lifestyle.

1 part vodka, 1 part cordial, 2 parts lemonade. Ice if desired, repeat as required. Just don't drink the whole bottle of vodka, that can result in more problems the next day.

If I've drunk enough that I reckon I'll need panadoles in the morning - then I have them in advance at bedtime instead. Obviously drink some water during the night and pop a couple of vit C.

If I've drunk enough that I reckon I'll need panadoles in the morning - then I have them in advance at bedtime instead. Obviously drink some water during the night and pop a couple of vit C.

Probably wouldn't be doing that as paracetamol inhibits liver function. Your liver is having a hard enough time as it is.

I've read somewhere else that antihistamine tablets are pretty good. Take one or two the day of going out and should reduce the symptoms, not entirely sure why but I think it helps.

I probably had... 7+ pints last night and feel fine. A little tired after getting to bed around 2:30am but no alcohol effects.

Thank you Mr Homebrew. Seriously though preservatives are evil.

I'd stop drinking your preservative free liquor then, cos sleep, bacon ,hot curry and beersex are very important in a balanced lifestyle.

They have other health benefits that make them an essential part of my life.

I swear by Milk Thistle, before drinking, before bed and again in the morning.
It helps the poor stressed liver.

a banana or two before bed and a large glass of water or a multivitamin tablet and a large glass of water, ever since i have been doing this i have never had a hangover and i have been known to do a full 16hr shift at work after only 2 hours sleep after a bender...

failing that a vitamin b12 shot at the hospital after your stomach has been pumped (so a friend tells me).

pure oxygen is meant to help to if you have a nurse for a wife get her to steal a massive bottle of it.

3 Panadeine or 2 Nurofen Plus before going to sleep (the codeine hit cures everything) and if you're somehow still crook in the morning take 2 more and as much coke as your body can stomach. The ingredients in the coke hasten the effects of the codeine. Never fails. And that's Coke as in the drink.....

pure oxygen is meant to help to if you have a nurse for a wife get her to steal a massive bottle of it.
kills brain cells though. I knew airforce pilots who would swear by high ration O2.

actually i forgot about the nurse thing. a good friend is a nurse. occational she gets a few IV bags of saline. hook thqt straight into the vien and rehydrate yourself in no time. its awsome cure but not exactly practicle

B1 , you use it to process the alcohol and it's easily depleted, your body can only absorb around 15mg a day so you need to stock up, drop some multivitamins, and have a stock of B1 on hand, thiamine , you know, Vegemite, barocca .

, I've been contemplating adding B1 in the mash, like 500g , then I'll never get a hangover, :chug:

B1 , you use it to process the alcohol and it's easily depleted, your body can only absorb around 15mg a day so you need to stock up, drop some multivitamins, and have a stock of B1 on hand, thiamine , you know, Vegemite, barocca .

, I've been contemplating adding B1 in the mash, like 500g , then I'll never get a hangover, :chug:

Why not also add panadol to secondary..........and bacon....all bases covered then

Back