Hang-over Cure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit of time with SWMBO always helps me :ph34r:

Did I say that? :eek: :rolleyes:

Cheers.

This subject has come up at the right time for me - had my bucks night last night and I'm still struggling.

I always go a Bacon and Cheese Hamburger, and the "Black Doctor". Can't be bothered going out for a burger at the moment and I've finished the last of the coke.

About to do the next best thing - pour an APA from the keg.

My preferred hangover cure is "avoid anything from CUB or Lion Nathan at all costs". Seems to work a charm.

I use toast with heaps and heaps of vegemite and i think you cant go wrong with a big fry up as well. I read somewhere that you get a hangover as alcohol consumes the bodys vitamin B and vegemite is loaded with it. Stick with the good old home brew as it still has vitamin B in it. Thats why you wake up better than filterd beer that has had it removed.

Im no doctor or scientist so if im wrong o well....

Unless you are trying to relive a hangover every 2nd day or more, I am quite sure your liver will see a good few more years, on the paracetamol plan

I remember there being a good article in a New Scientist a few years ago, there is also a Wiki article.

From what I remember of the New Scientist, the recommendation was for lots of water/OJ, aspirin vitamin B, and Cystine a protein found in eggs.

If anyone subscribes to New Scientist (link to story) I would like a copy of the article, I made the mistake of lending my copy and of course it was never seen again.

MHB

Other than BYO and Zymurgy, that's the number one magazine on my "to-subscribe-to" list!

my hangover cure (on the very very rare occasion i get one) is a nice strong coffee, lots of water and toast with vegimite.

dont normally get hangovers though. avoid them by drinking as much water as i can get into me before i go to bed, and keep a big bottle of water next to me as i usually wake up after a few hours of sleep with the drys. smash it down then go back to sleep and i wake up fine.

exactly what i did last night and woke up feeling like i hadnt had a single drink (was drinking some homebrew apa and a twocan bitter... 7 or 8 longies worth and a couple of shots of tequila)

2 pints of water before bed. Sleep Late. Black Pudding and Tomato Juice in the morning :super: .

Done and dusted.

Berocca before you go to bed takes the edge off a hangover.

in the morning - vegimite on toast with egg, bacon and a pint then a nice long nap on the couch in front of the tellie

Hang Over Cure:

1 X Measure of powdered gatorade in a litre of water before bed.
... and one more in the morning (with a shot of vodka in it)

1 X Piece of Burnt Toast

- Part of the nauseous feeling associated with the hangover is your body suffering chemical withdrawl from alcohol. After having processed it for up to 18 hours, it suddenly runs out and thats when you feel sick. The reason behind why sometimes you wake up after a big night and feel fine... then a few hours later, after the alcohol wears off and you hit 0.0 BAC, you're hugging the toilet.

- Water speaks for itself and is very important to rehydrate the body, as alcohol is a diuretic and saps the body of water... thats where the headache comes from, your brain literally shrinks as it drys out and pulls on the fibres that connect it to your skull, hence a whopping headache.

But as important as water in dehydration, is the replacement of electrolytes, particularly sodium and potassium ions that are lost. This is where gatorade or powerade come in as they replace some of what has been lost.

- Burt toast has a lot of carbon in it, charcoal, which acts like a natural sponge for poisons and free radicals in the body, of which there are many after a night out on the nectar. This is why red wine and cognac give such bad hangovers, because other that ethanol, they have other higher alcohols and impurities in them that the liver can't deal with all at once. Charcoal will help deal with these.

Cheers Guys,
& Happy Drinking.

in the morning - vegimite on toast with egg, bacon and a pint then a nice long nap on the couch in front of the tellie

Oh man, you need some kids... :ph34r:

If on a big commercial night out, I'm generally smart enough these days to wack a few waters down through the night. Then at least 1 x sports electrolyte drink and at the very least a pint of water before bed.

Next morning - Chilli soup of sorts. It's always worked.

Cheers - Mike

OK, take a red Gatorade or other sports drink.
Have a small sip, now drop a couple of Berocca in the bottle & put the lid on.
Give it a good shake & down it.
It is scary good stuff.
Cheers
Gerard

Is this true? Bugger, that puts a hole in my cure ... 2x Panadol + 1 bag Smiths Crisps + 1 can Coke, then plenty Earl Grey Tea. If no one disputes the paracetamol theory above though I might change the pain killer ... mind you since I've moved to home & craft brewed beer the headache is usually far less intense, if there at all.
[/quote

hi , yes i agree that there is hardly any hangover with homebrew beer ,and home wine.all to do with less fusel alcs in the homebrew product. i am told. with the home spririts the carbon filter helps to remove any fusel alcs. so we might be well off passing commercial beer through a carbon filter.

any thoughts on this ,or anyone tried this?

cheers alan

One word - Lipovitan.

One of my mates at work claims to have the ultimate hangover cure. He picks a whole bunch of dandelions (the flowers), rams them in his coffee press and makes dandelion tea. He claims to have a couple of sips of that before bed and a cup in the morning and he "hasn't had a hangover in 20 years".

Latest posts

Back