Hand Pump Ales In Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brettule

Reaction score
Wow, what a surprise to find a hand pump at the little bar in town called Penny Blue. However it was the Real Ale they had on it which properly surprised me. Two Metre Tall is the small Tassie farm-based brewer and the drop was called Cleansing Ale. I could have been back in a heratige listed thatched pub in Kent it was that good.

So now I'm on a mission. Where else in Melbourne (preferably the inner north) can I find real ales on pump?

the only one I have seen is out at Holgate Brewery - Paul has a pair of them and usually runs his ESB and Temptress Porter through them.

Where's Penny Blue??

Holgate Brewery is way out in Mt Macedon, bit far to travel from Fitzroy for a Friday night pub :) ESB and Porter is not the real ale I had in mind either.

Penny Blue http://www.pennyblue.com.au/ is right in town, 2 Driver Lane. Pretty good bar really, a little bit toffy but the beer is A1.

Holgate Brewery is way out in Mt Macedon, bit far to travel from Fitzroy for a Friday night pub :) ESB and Porter is not the real ale I had in mind either.

Penny Blue http://www.pennyblue.com.au/ is right in town, 2 Driver Lane. Pretty good bar really, a little bit toffy but the beer is A1.

yeah bit far to stumble for a session - but def worth a visit. Will have to check it out next time I head over there - i know that the beer on the hand pumps are served out of cornies, unsure if it is done real ale style or not.

Other than that and penny blue - I reckon you will be hard pressed to find too much on offer - however I will be watching this thread with interest to see what pops up - hopefully I will be pleasantly surprised.

penny blue rocks. probably kooinda's best selling venue and one of the least talked about "beer venues". ask for dave he knows a crapload about good beer. everytime we go in he has something different for us to taste, he got me hooked on the bairds range.

its in driver lane just on the corner of elizabeth st and lt bourke st and the venue adjoins the money order office which is a top restraunt.

two of melbournes best kept secrects imo.

penny blue rocks. probably kooinda's best selling venue and one of the least talked about "beer venues". ask for dave he knows a crapload about good beer. everytime we go in he has something different for us to taste, he got me hooked on the bairds range.

its in driver lane just on the corner of elizabeth st and lt bourke st and the venue adjoins the money order office which is a top restraunt.

two of melbournes best kept secrects imo.

just around the corner from work... so going to have to pop my head in and take a peek!!

The Royston still has hand pumped Holgate ESB AFAIK

No other real ales on pump yet aside from Penny Blue though. Surely there is more than one bar in all of Melb?

Just saw this on 2MT website:

Hand Pumps:
Bar None, Camberwell
Penny Blue, City
The Precinct, City
Railway Hotel, South Melbourne

Can anyone validate this?

Are any of these fine folks actually serving from casks yet?

Ashley's 2MT beers have been on hand pump in Tassie for years, but they were still kegged. Still a lot better than most keg beer :D

Can be a bit too cold for real ale, though ... I once phoned 30 mins ahead to the New Sydney in Hobart to get them to pull a pint and let it warm up a bit... they thought I was nuts.

Are any of these fine folks actually serving from casks yet?

It's a questions I will be asking when I stick my head in... big difference between serving real ale through a hand pump and serving CO2 forced beer through a handpump... either way I am sure it is a cracking beer.

Was at penny blue last week and the hand pump was on. They said the beer wasn't cold enough though so i had an epic Armageddon instead (bloody expensive!)

Was at penny blue last week and the hand pump was on. They said the beer wasn't cold enough though so i had an epic Armageddon instead (bloody expensive!)

hasnt it been sub 16 deg for the past fortnight? Sounds like real ale temps to me! :icon_cheers:

Latest posts

Back