Hand Pump Ales In Melbourne?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the brandon (in carlton north) used to, but i'm pretty sure they've had a gentrified re-fit since i was last there...

remi

Transport Hotel at Flinders Station also has hand pumped beer, don't know if good or not, but my wife has researched as she is taking me there for my 40th in 2 weeks. Also she says Penny Blue on 2 Driver Lane. Can't wait awesome pub crawl coming up :icon_chickcheers:

As a previous poster mentioned, the Royston has Holgate ESB on a hand pump and it's great!

the only one I have seen is out at Holgate Brewery - Paul has a pair of them and usually runs his ESB and Temptress Porter through them.

Where's Penny Blue??
I was at Woodend 2 weeks ago, the missus wanted a weekend away in the country and I like beer - so a night away at Keatings Hotel was a win-win for us! And for the kids as well becasue they got to stay up all night watching whatever they want, and since I've got 3 boys you can guess what they were watching!

Anway, the they had the Temptress Porter running on the beer engine, and they had a randall attached to the beer line, instead of hops it was filled with coffee beans. It was fantastic, I enjoy this porter and have had the odd stubby, this gave it an entirely new dimension. At first the taste is porter as you would expect, and then there is a distinct, yet subtle coffee bean flavour that complements the roast malts perfectly. Genius stuff, if you ever get up that way i recommend it highly. Even better if you book a table for dinner and a room to save the drive home.

I also had the ESB. The old saying was that english beer was warm and flat. Well this wasn't flat but it was warm. Had trouble getting into it. I could have sworn that the hops were American, but the bar man told me that they were fuggles. Maybe it was just the warm temp that changed my perception of the hops.

Highly reccomend the Holgate (Keatings Hotel)

Moving to Gisborne in November, which puts me within taxi ride home. :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:

Dude, you live in Eltham! How much more country do you want?

:D
Yeh, but it's the built-up part of Eltham. We used to live in Research, that's country, but we moved to "town" so that kids could walk to school.

Anway, the they had the Temptress Porter running on the beer engine, and they had a randall attached to the beer line, instead of hops it was filled with coffee beans. It was fantastic, I enjoy this porter and have had the odd stubby, this gave it an entirely new dimension. At first the taste is porter as you would expect, and then there is a distinct, yet subtle coffee bean flavour that complements the roast malts perfectly. Genius stuff, if you ever get up that way i recommend it highly.

The Temptress is back on again with the coffee beans. Plus the esb on hand pump as always.

Good thread, am headed to Melbourne for a week at end of June, thank god they've moved Shools Rugby from Geelong.
Penny Blue sounds good as will be staying in the City, will have to get there as well as all the other bars I've read of on here.
Mrs Parma's may be a go also.
Nige

Would that the Mrs Palmer who has five daughters? - I think I have made her acquaintance!

The Charles Dickens Tavern in collins street has 4 hand pumped with Tetleys, Newcastle Brown, Old Speckled Hen and something else on tap. went friday and saturday night.
alos a good range of english bottled beers.

Well was googling Melbourne hand pump venues, came across this thread, better late than never... We do! We've been running a handpump for awhile now, cask conditioned ESB. About to try a British IPA on it. Then Imperial Stout. But was wondering if any pubs in Melbourne can serve our casks (not kegs)? Royston is going to give it a shot, they have only used it with carbonated kegs tho. Never real ale. Would love to know any others out there as keen on it as we are. Thanks for this topic.
Cheers, Karen & Dave. Red Hill.

Well was googling Melbourne hand pump venues, came across this thread, better late than never... We do! We've been running a handpump for awhile now, cask conditioned ESB. About to try a British IPA on it. Then Imperial Stout. But was wondering if any pubs in Melbourne can serve our casks (not kegs)? Royston is going to give it a shot, they have only used it with carbonated kegs tho. Never real ale. Would love to know any others out there as keen on it as we are. Thanks for this topic.
Cheers, Karen & Dave. Red Hill.

Everyone on this site is about as keen as your are id say :D
Hell im that keen I'm drinking hand pumped BUT force carbed newcastle brown at the charles dickens!
Love to get a taste of yours and find out more about how its treated. Watching Michael Jackson Beer hunter british
episode there seemed to be a host of different corks and Pegs and things to put into the keg to let it breath or manage secondary fermentation.

How much management is involved from your end?

EDIT: on a side note, love the Bo Pils, glad it made it to bottles this year i missed out summer '10-'11

The Charles Dickens Tavern in collins street has 4 hand pumped with Tetleys, Newcastle Brown, Old Speckled Hen and something else on tap. went friday and saturday night.
alos a good range of english bottled beers.

How's the Tetleys...I never thought much of it in the uk even. A Newkie Brown or a Speckled would be good though. Good Speckled at Pig and Whistle, Olinda, Dandenongs if you're ever out that way. Well kept.

Hell im that keen I'm drinking hand pumped BUT force carbed newcastle brown at the charles dickens!
I don't think it counts as a hand pump if it's poured from beer taps that look like a hand pump when it's really served the same way as any other force carbed beer. :rolleyes:

Sounds like Redhill are doing proper cask conditioned real ales, but from my experience most of the hand pumps around are just pouring a degassed mainstream beer still being pulled from a regular aussie keg.
If you are in Brisbane, the Scratch Bar, is the only bar I'm aware of, pulling genuine cask conditioned real ales.

Cheers Ross

How's the Tetleys...I never thought much of it in the uk even. A Newkie Brown or a Speckled would be good though. Good Speckled at Pig and Whistle, Olinda, Dandenongs if you're ever out that way. Well kept.

Elephant and Wheelbarrow in the Valley once had OSH on regular tap and it was pouring really slowly and they were complaining that it arrives like that because the Pig and Whistle had it on hand pump so the Brewery sent out low gassed "export" versions of their keg OSH and one ended up at the Elephant and Wheelbarrow. Unless it's an old style IPA I doubt if proper cask conditioned Brit beers would ever make it to Australia.

And as a Geordie I can assure you that Newkie Broon never ever got served on handpump as it has never been a cask conditioned beer. The pumping is just for show. However the pasteurised filtered keg versions of OSH etc do give a bit of a hint of what the genuine version might taste like in the UK. If anything a nitro served version would give a more accurate rendition, which is why a lot of UK breweries put the widget in the cans.

Latest posts

Back