Half Size Kits?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antains

Reaction score
I've done about 10 brews in the last year for my return to brewing and I'm fairly happy with the consistent results (even if some of the beers have been shepherded away, so that only the really good ones get shared).

Everything is starting to fall into place for me now for moving beyond the instructions and creating custom beers. Despite what I'd been reading, my mind didn't close the gaps, so it didn't occur to me to halve malts and mix in other ones. :eek:

For these experiments, I'm thinking of grabbing a pair of 12 - 15 litre jerry can/bottles from the big green behemoth down the street (Bunnings). Then using my yard-stick of Coopers Lager and beginning with what the full effect of hops will be and whatever else takes my fancy as I stand in my LHBS and browse.

Has anyone used small containers as fermenters?

Also, related to these experiments, I've been using the S-23 yeast for these cooler months. However, I pitched the entire 15g, rather than what is normally instructed (7g). Has anyone bothered to measure and halve these sachets? How do you store the excess? If I should be halving the sachets, is it worth halving again for these smaller experiments?

I realise that I'm being experimental, but some benchmarks would be cool.

Cheers,
Ant.

I gotta go hit the tiles... literally. I'm tiling the laundry.

"these cooler months"?

You have no idea how funny that sounds to a Queenslander in mid November.. :p

Anyway, I was at bunnings yesterday and noticed they have 15lt cubes with provision for a tap which would be perfect for what you're after. Just drill a hole in the lid for an airlock and grommet and you're away.

They also have 25lt round "water" drums with threaded lid for about $16. I got one to use as an extra fermenter. So cheap compared to anything sold as a dedicated fermenter, but exactly the same thing.

Good luck with the tiling! :)

"these cooler months"?

You have no idea how funny that sounds to a Queenslander in mid November.. :p

Okay, okay. It's not that bad and I'm a little after the season, I admit it. I've got a lovely little niche under the house that won't average above 18 degrees until January, so, um, ner. :icon_cheers:

They also have 25lt round "water" drums with threaded lid for about $16. I got one to use as an extra fermenter. So cheap compared to anything sold as a dedicated fermenter, but exactly the same thing.

Good luck with the tiling! :)

Yep. I got one of those 25l jobbies, too. I now use it for racking. I can't agree more about the cost and the usefulness of them.

Cheers QIK86.

Ant.

Anyway, I was at bunnings yesterday and noticed they have 15lt cubes with provision for a tap which would be perfect for what you're after. Just drill a hole in the lid for an airlock and grommet and you're away.

Or rather than drilling a hole, you can just go the gladwrap method, secured with either the rubber seal off of a fermenter or if it is only a small opening, a rubbeer band.

I pretty much do this with all my brews these days and haven't had any problems - also means there are a few less things that require washing/sanitising.

Brendo

I make a lot of small 5L batches to try out a recipe - put them in 5L demijohns people use for starters.

Good if it's a dud beer, or I can make more and split small amounts between different yeasts.

I use the pitching rate calculator on mrmalty.com, weigh out my yeast and then keep the rest sealed as air tight as possible in the fridge.

It's worth splitting the packages up - otherwise there's waaay too much yeast for what I do, and I know I tend to always have a bit of whatever standard yeast i normally use somewhere in the fridge.

Kev

Another way that you could split the yeast is to make a starter, let it ferment out, and then divide that up evenly, then let them settle, pour off the excess beer and replace with a little cooled boiled water ;)

And baloons over jerry can openings make good airlocks.

My record for experimental mini batches is 7 1.75L batches fermented side by side, in 2.25L softdrink bottles, with baloons for airlocks....I was trying out hop combinations at the time. Got 3x 500mL grolsche bottles out of each.

Another way that you could split the yeast is to make a starter, let it ferment out, and then divide that up evenly, then let them settle, pour off the excess beer and replace with a little cooled boiled water ;)

buttersd, you've given me pause for thought. I don't like to make too many advances too quickly - brewing for four years, only now ready to experiment :unsure: - but I think this miniature process is going to be even more useful than I'd hoped if I work on starters, too.

Once again, AHB has helped shine the light. :icon_cheers:

I just figure it's easier to equally divide 500mL of thick slurry than it is to equally divide 7 or 15g of dried yeast. ;)

In the case of ale, a 15g (or whatever it is) packet is enough for 23L of regular wort. A 2L starter will double the cell count....so lets say thats enough yeast for 40-50L of beer.....
Let the starter attenuate fully. Then, chill it to drop the yeast out....when its clear, pour off the starter leaving the yeast....top up to 600mL with cooled boiled water, and resuspend the yeast.....immediately pour out into 4x150mL batches, let them settle out, pour off excess water leaving just enough so the slurry is nice and thin and easy to pitch, and bingo. Enough yeast in each to do 10L of wort. Or alternatively, one of these can then be stepped up into another starter, allowing you to innoculate a full batch. ;) .....now 4x10L batches is the theoretical, which assumes that the cell count has doubled in the starter.....but you could do it with 3, just to be sure. But this is an example for 10L...if your mini batches are smaller, just change the volumes so it can easily be divided for the batch sizes....ie, if 5L batches, divide into 6-8 starters instead of 4, etc.

When I did my little experiments, I was still using dried yeast....but I always pitched them from slurry. Its easier than trying to divide a very small dry amount up.

Hmmm, sounds like I'll need to pace myself and concentrate.

Whaddaya reckon? I've got paternity leave coming up in a couple of weeks. I'm sure the missus won't mind if I'm preparing a birth brew :lol:

I'm sure the missus won't mind if I'm preparing a birth brew :lol:
As long as its not an afterbirth brew. :icon_vomit:

Talk about over doing the proteins... :eek:

sorry. couldn't resist. I'll go sit in a corner hanging my head in shame...

I have one of the mentioned 25 litre bunnings round water barrels and using for a fermenter. I WASTED money on a bung and airlock. Bl00dy stupid thing never seals and has never bubbled.

Just screw the lid on as per normal and it WILL leak and there is your air lock :) I just look for the fermentation signs now and leave it 2 weeks. If I buy another one, that's all I'm doing, screw lid on untill the rubber seal makes contact and leave it.

Or like said below, glad wrap it and watch bubbles IN the beer :icon_drunk:

PS: To clarify, I'm ONLY referring to the bunnings 25 L water barrels where they are cast and sealed at the threaded part. They are like ms windows 'plug and pray'..... :blink:

Or rather than drilling a hole, you can just go the gladwrap method, secured with either the rubber seal off of a fermenter or if it is only a small opening, a rubbeer band.

I pretty much do this with all my brews these days and haven't had any problems - also means there are a few less things that require washing/sanitising.

Brendo

buttersd: "As long as its not an afterbirth brew. "

I wonder how it would go with infusion.

"Hmm, is that a hint of placenta I detect with the raspberries?"

:party:

Don't worry. I've got my own corner.

Hey Cube,
I've noticed the same thing. That's pretty much why I use it for a bulk secondary and then bottle straight from it.
I wrapped the thing with plumbing tape and greased it like an English-channel swimmer with Papaw ointment and it was still questionably sealed.

Edit: being a smart arse and missed a reply.

I wonder how it would go with infusion.

"Hmm, is that a hint of placenta I detect with the raspberries?"

:party:

Don't worry. I've got my own corner.

probably quite good for providing some extra body...

Brendo

*Am now standing in the corner and thinking about what I have just done*

Brendo

*Am now standing in the corner and thinking about what I have just done*

Ha!
I should sell it as a wonder-brew like an 19th century huckster. It's got all that cord-bloody goodness in it, after all.
"Come one, come all. Try for yourself the ale that's good for what ails you. Drink of it and be cured for life. A warm sense of euphoria (not to be confused with intoxication) will open your eyes to the love you feel for everyone and give you the ability to tell stories, long and detailed and pointless. Come and try the wonder brew."

:p

and unlike maltodextrin, not only will it provide body, but flavour as well. :icon_drool2:

Oh, this forum has warped me. Seriously....

I have one of the mentioned 25 litre bunnings round water barrels and using for a fermenter. I WASTED money on a bung and airlock. Bl00dy stupid thing never seals and has never bubbled.

PS: To clarify, I'm ONLY referring to the bunnings 25 L water barrels where they are cast and sealed at the threaded part. They are like ms windows 'plug and pray'..... :blink:

Sounds like I have one of the same ones and I wasted my money to. Got mine from BCF. Thinking of cutting a larger hole and putting a piece of clear perspex in place.

Sounds like I have one of the same ones and I wasted my money to. Got mine from BCF. Thinking of cutting a larger hole and putting a piece of clear perspex in place.

oh my god really? you mean it wasn't just me all along?
ad then i'd ended up doing the damn lid up too tight to get back off. too well sealed to bottle with it in place. too badly sealed to bother putting an airlock on.

so had to break lid to get it off.

helloooo bulk priming tub!

oh and yeah, about the placentale, we're expecting our first bub in march. tell me how the added proteins work with bottle conditioning, and i'll give the recipe a go.

:icon_vomit:

mfdu

...the placentale...

I'm stealing that! :D :p
madhattersgold.gif

Seems like that corner is getting very crowded.
Kind of ruins the impact of being sent to the corner if everyone else is already there....

Latest posts

Back